Instagram and other Social Media

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Re: Instagram and other Social Media

Post#16 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:02 am

Seriously - it seems like we get a new procedure, manual, upgrade or software package every other day. I've been in IT for 27 years and used to feel like I knew what I was doing. Now I'm in perpetual apprentice mode, and shit keeps breaking all the time as we struggle to get things implemented and integrated. A lot of is seems to be change for its own sake. I really wish VPs would stop reading tech magazines and saying "oooohhhh - shiny! I want it!" They get the fat bonus for the implementation but they never actually have to deal with the fallout.

So when I have FB at home, it's plenty for what I need/want/care about.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

akshamu

Post#17 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:23 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Seriously - it seems like we get a new procedure, manual, upgrade or software package every other day. I've been in IT for 27 years and used to feel like I knew what I was doing. Now I'm in perpetual apprentice mode, and shit keeps breaking all the time as we struggle to get things implemented and integrated. A lot of is seems to be change for its own sake. I really wish VPs would stop reading tech magazines and saying "oooohhhh - shiny! I want it!" They get the fat bonus for the implementation but they never actually have to deal with the fallout.

I may not be in IT, but I once upon a time built my own PC from parts and had a clue what was going onto my hardrive when I installed a program. Not anymore, and given the article I was reading this morning about hackers getting into Home Depot's information sometimes I wonder about where we are headed.
An Englishman is a person who does things because they have been done before.

An American is a person who does things because they haven't been done before

Andor

Post#18 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:59 pm

akshamu wrote:sometimes I wonder about where we are headed
Bill Joy, Co-Founder of Sun Microsystems, and a very well-respected member of the tech elite, wrote an article back in 2000 titled "Why the future doesn't need us."

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy_pr.html

I first read it back in 2005 and it reminded me of a mix between the Terminator movies and iRobot. It might be a dated and lengthy article, but an interesting read in my opinion.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#19 » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:16 pm

akshamu wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Seriously - it seems like we get a new procedure, manual, upgrade or software package every other day. I've been in IT for 27 years and used to feel like I knew what I was doing. Now I'm in perpetual apprentice mode, and shit keeps breaking all the time as we struggle to get things implemented and integrated. A lot of is seems to be change for its own sake. I really wish VPs would stop reading tech magazines and saying "oooohhhh - shiny! I want it!" They get the fat bonus for the implementation but they never actually have to deal with the fallout.

I may not be in IT, but I once upon a time built my own PC from parts and had a clue what was going onto my hardrive when I installed a program. Not anymore, and given the article I was reading this morning about hackers getting into Home Depot's information sometimes I wonder about where we are headed.
From what I've seen in the news this week they think the same group that hit Target is responsible for Home Depot as well.
Regards,
][avok

Kid Khan

Post#20 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:17 pm

I'm not on Insta, FB, Twitter or any of that, I don't own a cell phone (have to carry one around cause I get paid for it), I got a steam and a GOG account, yes, but I got no gadget at home having a "smart" in its name connected to the net (which is quite hard to achieve in some cases, I tell you!). And yes, I'm working in the IT ever since 1989. I connect to the net via VPN more often than not nowadays being fully aware of the fact its only for keeping my own conscious quiet and serves no security issues whatsoever.

Call me paranoid, but all whats happening around us is making me scared. Power meters connecting to the net? Cars? Fridges? TVs, watches, coffee machines, toilets, dildos? Seriously? What happened to good old privacy? Does anyone still remember, how all of us held high Orwells 1984 as the antichrist of IT? We're long past that, probably past the point of no return even. Even now we don't see the downside, some of us might surmise it, but we actually still don't see it coming. And its alright, its alright as we (most of us, mmh, some of us, may be) are living in capitalistic democracies, a political structure that puts the general state of wealth above the protection of a single individual, still TRIES to protect its citizens as a whole. This might change at any time and without warning. And all of a sudden all your provided data might look totally different in another light (you all know that thought construct about Hitler having the net and its informations of today at his disposal and the consequences thereof).

Still I'm moving on the net, still I'm writing articles like this. You dont have to be NSA to put my true Name to it with least bit of effort. I really, really wonder how much more it takes to develop a serious counter movement, that explicitly turns it off completely for themselves...

Its like the main scientists of Genetic Research published a mutual paper last week, basically saying something like "guys, lets take a step back and think again, if we really like the current way and where it is taking us."
Or Hawking last week, who asked the CERN scientists to think again of what they are currently doing while trying to create those God Particles. There might be a small chance of total destruction, of course at energy rates far beyond anything we would ever be able to create, still, one CAN calculate the final doom here.

May be all those topics have become too complicated for a single human being to understand and therefor we don't see the need for resistance in certain positions. So it takes the experts in their respective topics and start counter movements. But what d'you think how long we might wait for a role model like Google or Amazon, Apple or IBM to call for a "halt, lets think again"-thing, that would mean the total breakdown of all of their revenues....

Lets say it with Supertramp:

Dreamer, you know you are a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said dreamer, you're nothing but a dreamer
Well can you put your hands in your head, oh no!
I said "Far out, – What a day, a year, a life it is!"
You know, – Well you know you had it comin' to you,
Now there's not a lot I can do.

albatross

Post#21 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Kid Khan wrote:[good thinking]
Just visited your site, nice bike :), love those V-Twins myself. Tried a cruiser for a while but in the end jumped on a Buell.

Andor

Post#22 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:43 am

I quite working in IT because I can’t stand how most people treat technology. Most don’t even know the basics behind why their devices do what they do. Yet they have no qualms about migrating their data (whatever that may be) onto a media that can fail. We are fast becoming a society of button pushers.

As we move more and more towards digitizing everything, what happens to the knowledge we take for granted today. Right now we are on the cusp of this digital age. Not everyone has accepted this new way, but more and more people (group think) change their opinion every day. We have places such as libraries that preserve knowledge in its paper form. Even they have started to embrace technology more than they had in the past.

I wonder sometimes … what happens when we reach a point where most of what we know is in binary form, then its taken from us. How long does it take for us to return to a hunter gather society. People are already becoming dependent on Google, Bing, and the like on how to do things. How many of us would know how to survive in a world without technology?

Once upon a time people all spoke the same language and worked together on a singular purpose. God seen this and said as one people with one language, nothing they sought would be out of their reach. He went down and confounded their speech, so that they could not understand each other, and scattered them over the face of the earth.

Now ask yourself, how do people that don’t live in an advanced society tell a story about people that lived in an advanced society? They have to interpret and extrapolate using the knowledge they possess. Then ask yourself, if the day comes we lose technology and return to a hunter gather society … how will the people of that time look back and write about us? Yep I’m scared too sometimes.

Gilgamesh

Post#23 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:29 am

Andor wrote:I quite working in IT because I can’t stand how most people treat technology. Most don’t even know the basics behind why their devices do what they do. Yet they have no qualms about migrating their data (whatever that may be) onto a media that can fail. We are fast becoming a society of button pushers.

As we move more and more towards digitizing everything, what happens to the knowledge we take for granted today. Right now we are on the cusp of this digital age. Not everyone has accepted this new way, but more and more people (group think) change their opinion every day. We have places such as libraries that preserve knowledge in its paper form. Even they have started to embrace technology more than they had in the past.

I wonder sometimes … what happens when we reach a point where most of what we know is in binary form, then its taken from us. How long does it take for us to return to a hunter gather society. People are already becoming dependent on Google, Bing, and the like on how to do things. How many of us would know how to survive in a world without technology?

Once upon a time people all spoke the same language and worked together on a singular purpose. God seen this and said as one people with one language, nothing they sought would be out of their reach. He went down and confounded their speech, so that they could not understand each other, and scattered them over the face of the earth.

Now ask yourself, how do people that don’t live in an advanced society tell a story about people that lived in an advanced society? They have to interpret and extrapolate using the knowledge they possess. Then ask yourself, if the day comes we lose technology and return to a hunter gather society … how will the people of that time look back and write about us? Yep I’m scared too sometimes.
If you think this is a bit far fetched, just consider what another Carrington event would do to us today.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Kid Khan

Post#24 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:17 am

Gilgamesh wrote:If you think this is a bit far fetched, just consider what another Carrington event would do to us today.
In that light just remember that any digital storage ALWAYS requires some sort of electrical powered gadget to recall the data, no matter what. Once electrical power fails globally or is gone for good for whatever reason, the collective knowledge of mankind will be lost.
Funny, how all the progress over the millennia only had the effect that we are less and less capable to store our knowledge for a significant amount of time. And how dangerously negligent is that? Without going into details (there are may sites documenting this) the first cave painting are still available today, stone plates got broke over times, books still make it over a few centuries, but with the invention of digital storage life times of storage devices becomes ridiculous: floppies, magnetic tapes, cds, dvds, hard disks, ssds with limited writing access... Only 30 years after throwing it on the market you cannot find a machine anymore in stores to read a floppy disk for example...
Hail the profit over usability, thats what we are facing. Still we have to bear the prayer of "sustainable development" on daily bases. Makes. me. sick.

Gilgamesh

Post#25 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:49 pm

That's OK - I'm not sure this particular phase of so-called civilization is one to be especially proud of. Maybe it's a good thing if the record of this time is lost...
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Kid Khan

Post#26 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:That's OK - I'm not sure this particular phase of so-called civilization is one to be especially proud of. Maybe it's a good thing if the record of this time is lost...
Naaa, come on, Gil, you're not one 16 year old nihilistic pot head who doesn't care for nothing or would even pretend to. You've got family, you've got a life, grandchildren, if I recall correct! Put it into perspective with your real life and then comment again.

Its a pessimistic, negative view of a possible future, probably even paranoid and highly unlikely, still, not impossible or totally over the top. One can try to ignore it for most times of the day, but lately more and more situations in RL keep reminding me time and again...

Gilgamesh

Post#27 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:29 pm

I should have included a :lol: smiley...

I actually have great hope for humanity, but we need to evolve a lot first.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Andor

Post#28 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:05 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:If you think this is a bit far fetched, just consider what another Carrington event would do to us today.
Such an event slightly missed us this week. The Aurora Borealis may be visible as far south as Colorado starting tonight and about 4 hours ago (UTC/GMT is 20:05 on Friday, September 12, 2014) may have been visible in Northern Germany.

As individuals we may be smart, but as a group we can be like children. Sometimes it takes learning something the hard-way to realize we need to alter course. Instagram and other Social Media are examples of this. As more and more cyber criminals start to use this information to wreak havoc on a persons life, slowly people as a whole will start to change their behavior. It just takes time for the collective to catch on.

EDIT: Doesn't look like it made it as far south as Germany. Scotland and parts of the U.K. got a pretty good show starting at around UTC/GMT is 21:10 on Friday, September 12, 2014.

http://origin-www.swpc.noaa.gov/product ... l-forecast

Return to “Scuttlebutt”