Weddings and dead computers...

Current News and Events in our VGA Planets community. Debate issues of local, national, or global significance with our enlightened denizens.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Weddings and dead computers...

Post#1 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:27 am

Hi all.

My daughter got married on the weekend - that's the good news. My wife Kelly and I are taking a few days away to recuperate. If you have ever prepared a wedding for your daughter, you will know why.

The bad news is that on top of the time away, my computer just died. I need to buy a new one but can't get to that until Thursday. I'm really sorry, but I've asked ][avok to hold nf 129, nf 130 and Seek and Destroy. I promise I'll get back up and running ASAP.

I hate setting up a new computer...

Gil.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Weddings and dead computers...

Post#2 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:58 am

I have to ask, what do you do to the poor things? This seems to happen to you annually.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 5:19 pm

I don't know. I've had this one for a few years. According to the pc repair folks the video or the power chip is toast. It was overheating for a while now so I guess it was on its way out. Just glad it was OK for the wedding and the slide show I put together for that night.

So - loving Winplan as I do, can you still get a Winplan compatible machine anymore? All I need to worry about is it being 32 bit, right?

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:09 pm

As long s it's windows 7 or 8 you'll be fine for winplan32
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:27 am

If you want to run the original Winplan, then the Windows must be 32bit.
If the PC is 64bit you will have to run Winplan32.

Logain

Post#6 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:10 am

I know this is heresy to you PC gurus, but I am running my original WINPLAN on a MacBook Pro using Parallels to create a virtual XP machine. The MacBook has been stable for six years now and the virtual machine has only crashed once. While that was frustrating, it was an easy fix because WINPLAN and EchoView are the only things I run on that virtual machine (I probably caused the crash by confusing EchoView when I was switching between screens too fast trying to analyze intel during an AQ game).

Hard to beat the Apple hardware even if you are a diehard PC fanatic. 8)

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:00 am

I'll have to second Logain there. The best copy of Win7 I have runs on my Macbook...

Hey Logain, bet it's nice having that Apple Store in VB now :) I have to get out there soon and check it out soon.
Regards,
][avok

Logain

Post#8 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 am

Havok,

I work half a mile from the Lynnhaven Mall and didn't even know they opened the store there until my son told me a couple of weeks ago. I'll have to take a long lunch break soon and pay them a visit. [-o< That can be a dangerous endeavor though...

Too much of a conspiracy theorist to spend much time in malls (e.g. target rich environment :bang: and too many punks roaming around for my taste :fart: ). My mall trips tend to be in-and-out :teleport: as fast as possible. However, I like what my Apple stock has been doing for the past several years! :D They can open more of those stores as far as I'm concerned. They are money mills!

Logain

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:26 pm

Word is they're going to pull out of MacArthur Mall and build a more traditional Apple store on Granby St. That I would like to see.

I think the Lynnhaven Apple store opened when the iPhone 6 launched a few weeks back.
Regards,
][avok

Gilgamesh

Post#10 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:47 am

I was thinking about a macbook but wasn't going to do it because of planets. How hard would it be to do the XP thing on a macbook?
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Havok
Site Admin

Post#11 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:48 am

You would setup XP on the Mac as a virtual OS... You could use Parallel's to do that however that's a pay platform. The cheaper option would probably be Virtual Box by Oracle or VMWare Fusion.
Regards,
][avok

Logain

Post#12 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:57 am

Gil,

It's very easy. Buy and install a copy of Parallels and then install your current version of XP in a virtual machine you create in Parallels. It gives you the ability to stall the virtual machine before you shut down your system and then it comes back up in the same state when you reactivate that virtual machine which helps keep the game files stable.

Also, you can run XP on one or more machines, run Windows 7 or even back to DOS on other virtual machines. That's good if you have any old games you liked that run on WIN95, etc. You can run separate machines for PHost games as well. It keeps things pretty neat.

VMware also has a similar program, but all my Mac buddies recommended Parallels as the more user-friendly option and I haven't had any complaints.

Read up on Parallels and I think you'll be hooked. 8)

Logain

(Once you go Mac, you'll never go back :evil: )

Gilgamesh

Post#13 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:01 pm

I don't have a current version of XP. That's OK - I've seen the prices for Macbooks and I can't justify it. I'll take a look at good old laptops.

But if I get a 32 bit machine - it will run Tim's Winplan regardless of the Windows release (7, 8, 8.1 etc), correct?

Jim
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:47 pm

Yes it should

Gilgamesh

Post#15 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:12 pm

OK - for now at least I'm trying to use my wife's old laptop and I've installed the latest Winplan32. Just like before, I'm having some problems.

First and biggest - how do I get the release that most looks like the old Winplan, please? I tried the new look and feel last time I had a computr problem, and I just can't get on with this new version.

Second - I'm missing files. For example, when I try to run the game options to turn off the wav sounds and set up my starmap, it says I'm missing MSSTDFMT.DLL. When I try to play a VCR it says it can't find Winplan32\temp.bmp.

Getting closer. This should tide me over until I get a decent machine.

Gil
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Return to “Scuttlebutt”