Page 2 of 5

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:08 pm
by hennef
BitMask wrote:I have a compiled version that I have been playing with for a few turns.
You can download it here if you would like to try it.
http://vgap.innernet.co.za/files/JVC092b60.zip

You will most likely have to delete your old game.db and jvc.db files, but try it before deleting them and see what happens. I had to delete mine before it would work, but it could just be all my testing that broke it :shock:
could not find main class - maybe some problems with the game path?

Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:35 pm
by the.Ant
BitMask wrote:I have a compiled version that I have been playing with for a few turns.
I am very impressed! So many colours... and minefield projection.
And so many options!

In general it looks nicer too, but I guess that's because I had to switch from Java 1.4 to 1.6 to get it running. Had to delete the databases as well, but I should be able to recreate them with old rsts. I will test the build in in the next turns to come. Do you keep a changelog? Would be handy to keep a special eye on things you have fixed.

BTW, the echoview plugin I was talking about is already included, it's selected with game properties/add-ins/economy view. However, once activated you should be able to select it as temporary marker, but it does not show up in the marker list of your build.

About the combat sim, do you know how reliable it is? I don't remember which ones, but I have seen already sims which differ from tanascius' results, and tanascius is the one I trust.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:03 am
by hennef
hmm, your JVC is working nicely, but the battlesim is rubbish. also it just got completely wrong after i set one ship to gorn..... and the fed-bonus has had no effect at all.

good work so far =D> :woot:

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:31 am
by hennef
whats with hissing? i would love to have that as an option :D

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:34 pm
by the.Ant
hennef wrote:whats with hissing? i would love to have that as an option :D
Good point. The Avian happiness bonus is not calculated either, IIRC.

However, as long as you know about it, it's not difficult to figure it out yourself.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:08 pm
by BitMask
the.Ant wrote: In general it looks nicer too, but I guess that's because I had to switch from Java 1.4 to 1.6 to get it running. Had to delete the databases as well, but I should be able to recreate them with old rsts. I will test the build in in the next turns to come. Do you keep a changelog? Would be handy to keep a special eye on things you have fixed.

About the combat sim, do you know how reliable it is? I don't remember which ones, but I have seen already sims which differ from tanascius' results, and tanascius is the one I trust.
I though I set it to compile for Java1.4, but will check that again.
I have not looked at the combat sim. Personnaly I use Tanascious myself and would suggest that until we perhaps can get the Tanascious sim in JVC. That is however in the hands of Tim, as the code comes from him originally. Tried to contact Tim, but had no reply so far.

The change log I have so far looks like this:
  • build - date - user - change description (all in one long line)
    ========================================
    60 06062008 louisvdw - change resolveClass to fix error when using JRE 6. jvc.db & game db must be removed to be recreated.
    60 01102006 larsdam - fixed shift-f9 null pointer exception
    60 01102006 larsdam - debug produced two files. Now debug goes into one file
    60 04172005 larsdam - added different codepage support by System property usage - so Cp866 can be supported (code changes from Alexey Veselovsky)

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:16 pm
by BitMask
the.Ant wrote:
hennef wrote:whats with hissing? i would love to have that as an option :D
Good point. The Avian happiness bonus is not calculated either, IIRC.

However, as long as you know about it, it's not difficult to figure it out yourself.
What do you guys want with Hiss and Avian happiness? I assume you guys are talking about the Auto Tax addon?

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:31 pm
by the.Ant
Well, I don't mind using Java 1.6, JVC is the only reason I still have 1.4 installed...

Could not test it further yet, cause I'm currently heavily relying on information from old turns and I don't have the time to rebuild the game db, so I am currently still using the old build.
BitMask wrote: What do you guys want with Hiss and Avian happiness? I assume you guys are talking about the Auto Tax addon?
Don't know about Hennef, I was thinking about happiness prediction. I never use Autotax cause I don't have a standard tax-system, always depends on the situation.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:38 pm
by hennef
the.Ant wrote:Well, I don't mind using Java 1.6, JVC is the only reason I still have 1.4 installed...

Could not test it further yet, cause I'm currently heavily relying on information from old turns and I don't have the time to rebuild the game db, so I am currently still using the old build.
BitMask wrote: What do you guys want with Hiss and Avian happiness? I assume you guys are talking about the Auto Tax addon?
Don't know about Hennef, I was thinking about happiness prediction. I never use Autotax cause I don't have a standard tax-system, always depends on the situation.
sorry,

i wanted to post that in the build race section for the unnatural selection.
hiss was missing as an option there. i will repost it in the right thread.

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:54 pm
by the.Ant
How about literacy as a special ability for your Klaxons ;)

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:08 pm
by hennef
or maybe collective strength - the more ships at the same place the stronger they get :D


btw, the new JVC is fantastic! i like the warpwell-markings :D

but every time i zoom in below 400 i am getting an error of focus and when i zoom out i end up in any one of the corners of the map... :-k

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:13 pm
by hennef
hennef wrote:or maybe collective strength - the more ships at the same place the stronger they get :D


btw, the new JVC is fantastic! i like the warpwell-markings :D

but every time i zoom in below 400 i am getting an error of focus and when i zoom out i end up in any one of the corners of the map... :-k

err, the other way round. if i go above zoom factor 1000... thats it :D

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:18 pm
by hennef
ok, fixed it by limiting the zoom to 1200.

another thing: the warpwell is not working correctly. it produces points in certain ranges and the system goes terribly slow...

Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:08 pm
by hennef
btw,

it was once possible to change the nature of the markers in game. so you could make the ships in open space rings for example. do you think this is still possible?

Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:58 am
by Cherek
I haven't downloaded it yet, for some reason, I wasn't notified of new messages being post here, so I'll download when I get home.

Since I haven't tried JVC before, does JVC keep a record of all ship and planet histories in a game like EchoView?