Early Agression

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Early Agression

Post#1 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:33 am

With a thought to promote more discussion on a somewhat slow forum of late, I have a question.

What would be considered the best race if you wanted to get straight into attack mode as early as posible?

I realise there can be many variables but assume it is a fairly standard set up money/minerals wise and in a no frills type scenario.

Would one race stand out or do people have varied preferences?

I would think races like the Borg, Privateers and perhaps the Crystals would not be considered first but do players think all of the others could be utilised this way or are only a few races really suitable?

What do you guys think and what is it about specific races that make this style of play work?
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

B A N E

Post#2 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:56 am

In order of most fit for early aggression:

Lizard,
Bird,
Fascist,

The rest vary wildly depending upon startup scenarios.
But Lizard is by far the fastest easiest jumpstarter.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#3 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:24 am

B A N E wrote:In order of most fit for early aggression:

Lizard,
Bird,
Fascist,

The rest vary wildly depending upon startup scenarios.
But Lizard is by far the fastest easiest jumpstarter.
I would think that you would add the Privateer to the list. Most of the time, its the Privateer who makes the first contact with another. Robbing, towing off a ship or dropping clans on your planet is a form of aggression.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#4 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:27 am

Oh I don't disagree.

Pirates are a different fish altogether.
I was thinking more along the lines of frontal assault.

Basically, the cloakers are the best early fighters.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#5 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:55 am

Why not include the Robots? The Instrumentility is a powerful warship early in the game. When I play the Robots, I use Instrumentilities and Cat Paws for early assaults on enemy planets.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Mika

Post#6 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:08 pm

There is a little problem (for me) about that question.

The previous posters always assumed that it is a surprise attack. But When you KNOW that the Lizards/Birds/Fascists are attacking you have so think about a few more things.

Sure, these races can tow out defending ships and just kill the base but at least the Fascists and the Lizards have to bring battleships. Or if you just send two or three deth speculas it might work too but only if the base is not ready for battle.

Fighting the Lizard is really funny with carrier races. You only have to upgrade hulls to tech 10 and build a low tech carrier. If you can build fighters for free you should be able to have +80 fighters pretty soon and that is enough to have some time. Such a carrier and the base will cause big problem for those battleships.

Now I assume that the enemy knows that I want to kill him early.
Which race would be best for such an early attack?

Of course the Birds are still a good choice but you would need at least three darkwings and that can be costy.

My facourite race for such an attack are the Fascists or Rebels. The Fascists can send one or two cloakers, tow away defending carriers and pillage and pillage and pillage to prevent that the defender builds more ships. Deth Speculas, cheap Vickies along with some poppers are a pain too. And even if you can defend those poppers are doing some nasty damage..

As for the Rebels I just like the cheap way you can attack. Build two Tranquilities, two Rushs (warp 5 or 6 engines) and then tow them towards your enemy. These ships are really cheap and if your enemy wants to survive HE has to attack or there will be some RGA action. Of course such a Tranquility would run out of fuel every time I tow the Rush and once I'm over my target there is a fight. If you get hit by a mine you can continue your way (a bit slower) with the Rushes. And those Rushes can take many many minehits before they are really crippled.

May be that works with the Colonies too. You have to fight but you don't have fuel problems.

Just my 0.02€

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

B A N E

Post#7 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:12 pm

I'll discuss around the first of August!
8)
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Early Agression

Post#8 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:31 pm

FLETCH wrote:With a thought to promote more discussion on a somewhat slow forum of late, I have a question.

What would be considered the best race if you wanted to get straight into attack mode as early as posible?

I realise there can be many variables but assume it is a fairly standard set up money/minerals wise and in a no frills type scenario.

Would one race stand out or do people have varied preferences?

I would think races like the Borg, Privateers and perhaps the Crystals would not be considered first but do players think all of the others could be utilised this way or are only a few races really suitable?

What do you guys think and what is it about specific races that make this style of play work?
I would say the Lizards. The fighter races tend to need a little more ramp up time due to mineral excavation and expenditures.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#9 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:59 pm

The question was "What would be considered the best race if you wanted to get straight into attack mode as early as posible?". How can you consider upgrading your starbase engine and hull to tech level 10, then build two Rushes, build fighters for the Rushes, build two Tranquilities and build torpedoes and towing the Rushes a "early attack mode"?

Two Instrumentilities and two Cat Paws are far cheaper and faster to build and equipment with fighters and torpedoes.

I guess someone needs to define "early attack mode", I mean, is early turn 10, 15, 20. I've been known to start moving into an attack position with the Robots around turn 15 with a attack shortly after that.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Mika

Post#10 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:17 pm

Well... that always depends on the starting conditions and the starting cluster.
With a bit luck the two Rushs and two Tranquilities are no problem at turn 15.

I also had a funny game in which I sent 2 Super Star Carriers and one SSD and that fleet reached the Borg HW in turn 11.

The first SSC was empty, got blasted away by a Firecloud and run out of torps. The Second Firecloud got killed by my SSC and then the planet killed my SSC. Everything as planned... the following turn my SSD beamed down the clans and the Borg HW was mine in turn 12.

But I have to say that this Borg player was a bit unlucky sending a probe to me in turn 2 (then I knew the position of his HW) and he also had just two turns to react. I could hop from planet to planet.

Anyway... was a nice "early attack"
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Cherek

Post#11 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:35 pm

It is nice when things go right. They don't come often but they are nice when they do. :D

I do feel the that the Lizards top of the list when it comes to early attack mode.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Gilgamesh

Post#12 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:21 pm

Klingons. Nothing like pulling off an early game pillage of your neighbour's homeworld! :twisted:
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cherek

Post#13 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:28 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:Klingons. Nothing like pulling off an early game pillage of your neighbour's homeworld! :twisted:
I waiting on that to happen, but then again, I'm playing my first game a the Klingons, just give me time. :twisted:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

FLETCH

Post#14 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:12 pm

To be honest when I said attack mode I did mean actual battle with fireworks and the like. Having said that I would agree that cloakers can make agressive moves of thier own kind.

As far as what is early, I was thinking as early as you are able. All you want to do is get out there and hurt someone as soon as physically possible. I'm aware you would probably be risking your own safety at home to do so but sometimes this can be worth it, or you may be placed somewhere in a cluster that puts you at less risk.

I've played the Borg several times and I've had to play a style that lends itself to the long term plan. Cubes are so expensive that it's hard to go on the offensive early, and there aren't many other Borg ships in the list worth building in that regard.

I'm learning that not every game has to be the same. What I mean is that you don't have to look at every game from the same angle. This has been touched on by a few posters in the past. Why not try new things? Why not try to hit 'em and hit 'em hard early and then see how you go from there? There will always be more games, if it doesn't work then do it a little differently next time.

These are just my "mental" ramblings. I have only played about 5 of the races so far and wanted to promote discussion. It has done that, thanks guys. :)
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cherek

Post#15 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:17 pm

FLETCH wrote:These are just my "mental" ramblings. I have only played about 5 of the races so far and wanted to promote discussion. It has done that, thanks guys. :)
Feel free to ramble on. It's nice to have something to talk about.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”