Issues and Comments about FHost

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#76 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:47 am

A FHost game using PHost would be GREAT. If you decide to play a PHost game, take a look at the PHost forum. I have listed some of the differences between PHost and THost. You'll need to re-adjust your thinking again to play PHost well, just like you have to re-adjust your thinking with FHost.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Rimstalker

Post#77 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:47 pm

Ahost has been mostly replaced by ABhost as far as I know.

Jupiter boasts some antimatter missiles that will completely destroy planets and orbiting ships and damage anything close by. The default cost for a launcher is 4000 kts of any mineral, though.

From my experience, the phost players are weirdos and phost has some 'features' that are plain annoying. Not sure, if they can be switched off in the newest phost versions. Some of the options (remote control) are just plain wrong.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#78 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:19 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:A FHost game using PHost would be GREAT. If you decide to play a PHost game, take a look at the PHost forum. I have listed some of the differences between PHost and THost. You'll need to re-adjust your thinking again to play PHost well, just like you have to re-adjust your thinking with FHost.
That was the original plan when this all started.

At that point we didn't know it was going to be such a debacle to get through some test games.
Regards,
][avok

Desert-Fox

Post#79 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:06 pm

Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:A FHost game using PHost would be GREAT. If you decide to play a PHost game, take a look at the PHost forum. I have listed some of the differences between PHost and THost. You'll need to re-adjust your thinking again to play PHost well, just like you have to re-adjust your thinking with FHost.
That was the original plan when this all started.

At that point we didn't know it was going to be such a debacle to get through some test games.
I think we found the answer though...looks like we're using the wrong EXE file for FHOST. The version Bane has been using for testing issues and I believe you are using is the Fhost.exe that is for NT/95. Back when I ran VGAP on the BBS, I used the DOS32 version that has DOS4GW.exe with it and we never had any crazy issues. I searched around last night while talking with Bane in YIM and found all of the different flavors of v1.23. I sent a copy of it to Bane to have him test with the DOS version and low and behold...no more -2billion fighters problem. There are still some issues but it looks as though patrol can be left in. Give me a call and we can talk about it in more depth.

I am still waiting to hear back from MR concerning all the issues we encountered. I sent him pretty much everything we had in the forum. I'm hoping we can figure it out ourselves as I don't think he's going to do an update since he has done nothing with it since 1998. I could be wrong.

DF

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Cherek

Post#80 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:32 pm

Rimstalker wrote:Ahost has been mostly replaced by ABhost as far as I know.
Okay then, I'd like to try ABHost at least.
Rimstalker wrote:Jupiter boasts some antimatter missiles that will completely destroy planets and orbiting ships and damage anything close by. The default cost for a launcher is 4000 kts of any mineral, though.
That is one of those add-on that didn't really appeal to me. I might have to try it though, just to see how it is.
Rimstalker wrote:From my experience, the phost players are weirdos and phost has some 'features' that are plain annoying. Not sure, if they can be switched off in the newest phost versions. Some of the options (remote control) are just plain wrong.
From my experience, THost only players are weirdoes. As far as some of the features, majority of them can be turned OFF, ON or have variable settings. Don't worry about it, since you are one of those THost only weirdoes, you wouldn’t be in a PHost games anyway.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#81 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:35 pm

fhostnt.exe is the one I was using that showed the -2B bug in patrol.

I'm going to do more testing in the next week with the fhost.exe
for dos32 and see what glitches I run into with regards to patrol.

It does glitch, but it isn't gross (by last nites tests) relative to +/-2B.

So, when I get a battery of tests done and figure it out, I'll post more
about it.

But hey, we found the ideal fuel point! 13!
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#82 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:47 pm

B A N E wrote:fhostnt.exe is the one I was using that showed the -2B bug in patrol.

I'm going to do more testing in the next week with the fhost.exe
for dos32 and see what glitches I run into with regards to patrol.

It does glitch, but it isn't gross (by last nites tests) relative to +/-2B.

So, when I get a battery of tests done and figure it out, I'll post more
about it.

But hey, we found the ideal fuel point! 13!
I'll pull up the batch files and look at them when I get home and post here. Not sure which version I'm running, but I'm guessing it's the windows nt version.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#83 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:48 pm

B A N E wrote:But hey, we found the ideal fuel point! 13!
=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#84 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:50 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
B A N E wrote:But hey, we found the ideal fuel point! 13!
=D> \:D/ =D> \:D/
=Dx
Regards,
][avok

Rimstalker

Post#85 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:32 am

Rimstalker wrote:Jupiter boasts some antimatter missiles that will completely destroy planets and orbiting ships and damage anything close by. The default cost for a launcher is 4000 kts of any mineral, though.
That is one of those add-on that didn't really appeal to me. I might have to try it though, just to see how it is.

Jupiter puts the fun in taifun and the laughter in slaughter :). If you want to play a completely different game of thost, Jupiter is your way to go. X-tal is one of the strongest races there.
Rimstalker wrote:From my experience, the phost players are weirdos and phost has some 'features' that are plain annoying. Not sure, if they can be switched off in the newest phost versions. Some of the options (remote control) are just plain wrong.
From my experience, THost only players are weirdoes. As far as some of the features, majority of them can be turned OFF, ON or have variable settings. Don't worry about it, since you are one of those THost only weirdoes, you wouldn’t be in a PHost games anyway.[/quote]

That was cute. Too bad that I played about half a dozen of Phost games, with lots of the big names from the phost community. I even contributed some money towards Stefan Reuther's new PC, among other things.
And as we all should know, if there are settings to play around with, there will be someone who does it. I can still remember a Phostgame a friend of mine showed to me, where the maximum minefield size was 500 lys and Gorbies had a mass of 8000 kts. Strangely enough, the whole universe was covered in robotic minefields and the game was going at a crawl, approaching turn 250.
[/b]
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Desert-Fox

Post#86 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:30 am

Rimstalker wrote:I can still remember a Phostgame a friend of mine showed to me, where the maximum minefield size was 500 lys and Gorbies had a mass of 8000 kts. Strangely enough, the whole universe was covered in robotic minefields and the game was going at a crawl, approaching turn 250.
Seems to me that was the product of an 'new or untrained' site host or an 'unscrupulous(sp) host who was playing and slanting a game in his and or his buddies favor. Not the kind of game I would play in....or stay in if I found out that was happening. In fact I would probably strike the site from my regular visits.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Desert-Fox

Post#87 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:34 am

Rimstalker wrote:

Jupiter puts the fun in taifun and the laughter in slaughter :). If you want to play a completely different game of thost, Jupiter is your way to go. X-tal is one of the strongest races there.

What the hell is 'taifun'?...I think I got a shot for that in the Army once after a night out on the town having some 'taifun'!

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Desert-Fox

Post#88 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:41 am

Desert-Fox wrote:
Rimstalker wrote:

Back when I ran a BBS and had VGAP as a door game...we had some games with Jupiter but we would spice it up just a bit more by throwing Nemesis in with it. It made for an interesting game. I always liked 'cloaked minefields'...a very nice surprise for the fleet moving across open space to attack...'click'....BOOM! Kinda takes the wind out of the sails so to speak.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Cherek

Post#89 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:06 am

Rimstalker wrote:That was cute. Too bad that I played about half a dozen of Phost games, with lots of the big names from the phost community. I even contributed some money towards Stefan Reuther's new PC, among other things.
And as we all should know, if there are settings to play around with, there will be someone who does it. I can still remember a Phostgame a friend of mine showed to me, where the maximum minefield size was 500 lys and Gorbies had a mass of 8000 kts. Strangely enough, the whole universe was covered in robotic minefields and the game was going at a crawl, approaching turn 250.
Okay, since you have “played about half a dozen of Phost games” then by your own words, you are a weirdo also. As far as that PHost game, I remember hearing of a game like that but I thought someone was pulling my leg, but now, I guess it is true. I agree with DF comments (the one right after your last post).

Most of PHost default settings are good to play with. You can change the settings to suit an individual game. The features that are in PHost but not THost is what makes PHost makes it different from THost and THost add-ons. I’m still trying to figure out why FHost is called that since it is an add-on not a host program.

The default setting I changed in PHost is to change the ship limit from 500 to 999, minefield limit changed from 500 to 10000 (I like my WEB fields). I really don’t like using PList for a ship list, PERIOD!

Some people like only Vanilla games, others like only two or three add-ons. I know not everyone likes PHost. Bottom line, everyone plays the type games they like to play. I don’t have more respect for PHost players and I don’t have any less respect for THost players. I just wish there was more active VGA Planets players.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#90 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:45 am

I agree on the 10000 minefields.
But I see that 999 ships makes the cv races stronger.

Not to mention once races start getting eliminated, the tedium of
big empires gets worse with twice as many ships.

Prior to 2001, I played almost exclusively Thost because I knew the
program inside and out in practice and didn't know Phost.

Now that I'm old, senile and rusty, heh... I don't care since
I have to look things up for whichever host program I'm in.

As for shiplists, some are good, some are bad, some are pointless.

Yep, fhost/ahost/abhost... host shouldn't be in the name of an addon.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Return to “Intel”