Lethal Combination

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Lethal Combination

Post#1 » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:07 pm

Here's another question for everyone..

What do you consider the most lethal or effective combination of any two races if they were to ally and why?
Some benefits are fairly obvious (please post these favorites anyway) but does anybody have any not so popular or common mixes that have proven to be successful? Also please explain.
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Re: Lethal Combination

Post#2 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:25 am

Bots - Lizards

Lizards rapid economy and high minerals feed bots wtih many mines early in the game. This negates pirates, even xtals early on. The colonials of course can sweep merrily away, but if the lizard player contributes to help get the bots economy off the ground quickly, the bots can build a very strong fleet fast
FLETCH wrote:Here's another question for everyone..

What do you consider the most lethal or effective combination of any two races if they were to ally and why?
Some benefits are fairly obvious (please post these favorites anyway) but does anybody have any not so popular or common mixes that have proven to be successful? Also please explain.

hennef

Post#3 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 5:58 am

i agree to the liz-bot-thing cardno ;)

and lcc make brutaö cloaked minelayers in bot-hands.

but i like feds very much as one part of a team. for many reasons:

- they have terraformers to improve all worlds and raise economy-output drastically.

- they can refit any ship, so the ally can build cheap hulls early on.

- they have the loki and their cloakers are imune to it.

- they get 3 bonus-bays in combat!

i once played feds with an empire-ally. my gorbies owned the battlefield. being lucky one could kill 2 bios in a row. the medium carriers grew to mighty battlecarriers in my hands (cruiser with 8 beams and 7 bays). and we always new where to strike, thanks to the dark sense. on the other hand i could greatly fill the empires gap of torpers, so he could combo better and did not rely on that stupid ssf.

one thing, that made this combo even more efficent was the "give planet" add on. that one rocks!!!
have fun!

hennef

Cherek

Post#4 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:02 am

I agree the Lizard-Robot is a deadly combo. But I can think of a combo that is even worst. Think about this:

Opening up your RST and discovering several WEBs popped in your Homeworld area. That can be unnerving. Then you see a couple of Tholian MBRs. As you are looking through your ships, you discovered that several ships are missing and some didn’t move. Puzzled, you read your messages and discovered that quite of few of your ships have been robbed and taken over by the Privateer.

So I’d have to say that the Lizard-Robot is a deadly combo, I’d have to say that the Privateer-Tholian combo can be a disastrous combo.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:23 am

Man! I saw the name of this post and was sure someone was going to say Beer and Hard Boiled Eggs! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

IMO

Post#6 » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:43 pm

Most problematic for everyone else:
Pirate/Crystal

Most militarily powerful:
Fed/Borg

Intriguing pairs:
Fascist/Rebel
Bird/CofM

Dangerous pairs:
Crystal/Empire
Lizard/Empire

Obvious pains:
Bots & cloaker
Crystal & cloaker

Most combinations provide strengths and weaknesses.
Some obvious ones don't work well relative to others.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#7 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:00 am

I agree that the privvie - xtal combo is certainly one of the best - i was (as per Fletch's request), raising something that was a little less obvious.

I think a lizzie - xtal combo would just about challenge the pirate - xtal combo for the following reasons:

- while the pirates can travel fater, and they can rob ships, the thing they CAN'T bring to the party is helping develop a fast economy. Therefore, as an all round combo - the lizzies bring cloaking to the xtals, and they also bring an amazing economy and mineral capacity. While these all help greatly in offense; the lizzie's provide more defensive capability early on.

Also for consideration - Borg - Xtal. Both are weak early on - but if they survive - very powerful, with many resources from Borg. Also, borg probes can enable both parties to get to each other's areas quickly.

Having said all that - Bane covers off the differnt combos pretty welll

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:I agree the Lizard-Robot is a deadly combo. But I can think of a combo that is even worst. Think about this:

Opening up your RST and discovering several WEBs popped in your Homeworld area. That can be unnerving. Then you see a couple of Tholian MBRs. As you are looking through your ships, you discovered that several ships are missing and some didn’t move. Puzzled, you read your messages and discovered that quite of few of your ships have been robbed and taken over by the Privateer.

So I’d have to say that the Lizard-Robot is a deadly combo, I’d have to say that the Privateer-Tholian combo can be a disastrous combo.

Rimstalker

Post#8 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:46 am

Enourmously powerfuel: Rebel and Borg. No decloaking, but Harry Bur did the math and some testing once and just the fact of having falcons to expand doubles the number of cubes the Borg will have.

Another badass combo: Fed and Bird. Darkwing hulls are insanely cheap in minerals and they should be able to build like 50 of those to be refitted later on. Pair that with cloaked intercept and/or combos with kitties for the heavy carriers and you are set. Only problem is taking planets down, but bird can do some damage there in the lategame by using bum and dmp and novas can take down most bases.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

hennef

Post#9 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:10 am

the rebel-borg thing sounds very interesting.
i never played either of those races, but i can imagine a lot ;)
have fun!

hennef

Cherek

Post#10 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:49 am

hennef wrote:i never played either of those races, but i can imagine a lot ;)
In order to imagine something, don't you need something to imagine with?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Mika

Post#11 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:10 pm

I'd vote for Fed/Borg

You can adapt your fleet to every enemy you meet. A Lizard should be no problem at all with a few cubes sponsored by the Feds.

The Birds will have to use three darkwings for every biocide.

The Klingons are dead meat as soon as a Bio comes along with Lokis. (even if that beast comes without Lokis)

The Priv will even surrender before the first battle.

The Tholians can be a pain early in the game but if you have time to prepare that should be no problem. Just send Biocides/Annihilations/Missouries/Novas with good beams and bring fuel with fireclouds. You can advance only slowly but the Tholians can't stop you.

The Empire has only one descent ship and that one will lose vs a 13bay biocide.

The Bots will have the same problem as the Tholians... only that the Borg won't have to bring fuel and can sweep even faster. A Firecloud towed by cubes (supplies vs minehits) getting close... then the rest of the fleet and when the Bot shows up with his big carriers he has to fight the 13bay cube again.

Rebels and COM are just carrier races that have no special abilities. Once important planets are protected from RGA thera are only Rushs left... and they will lose vs Fed cubes every time.

The only chance would be catching them (Fed/Borg) early in the game but as we all know it is almost impossible to kill the Borg completely. There are always some bases left. Somewhere... hiding in the dark... protected by the ally... producing empty cube hulls... one by one... with a descent economy system bringing a bit cash and minerals.

Lizard/Borg would be my second choice
you still have the Loki, a terraformer, more than enough cash and minerals for cubes, now you even have a cloaker, the cubes can take 150% damage and the ground assaults with clans provided by the Borg are devastating.

Just my 0.02€
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

hennef

Post#12 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:23 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
hennef wrote:i never played either of those races, but i can imagine a lot ;)
In order to imagine something, don't you need something to imagine with?
i use the thing called brain inside my head. works very well - too well sometimes ;)
have fun!

hennef

hennef

Post#13 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:27 pm

i must say. the big carriers are absolutely overwhelming in fed-hands.....

fighting from the left side you can kill two 10/10 with one 10/13 in a row.
have fun!

hennef

Cherek

Post#14 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:17 pm

hennef wrote:i must say. the big carriers are absolutely overwhelming in fed-hands.....

You should try using a fully loaded Fed Virgo against 3 Bios. The Fed loses to the third Bio.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

hennef

Post#15 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:22 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
hennef wrote:i must say. the big carriers are absolutely overwhelming in fed-hands.....

You should try using a fully loaded Fed Virgo against 3 Bios. The Fed loses to the third Bio.
well, to my calculations, the fed-virgo (most crappy of all big carriers) loses to the FIRST bio while fighting from the right in 59,5% of the battles. fighting from the left the virgo still has a 25,2% chance of winning against the SECOND bio.

the fed-rush does fare much better. it always kills at least one bio. the second battle is nearly a 50/50-thing while fighting from the left of course ;)

believe it or not, but the golem has worse chances....

the gorbie wins 87,4% of the battles against the second and then runs out of fighters, while the fed-bio can even kill the third bio in 35% of battles. 8)

from the right, that all drops to 37,8% against the second.... bla bla bla, still more to come :lol:

against boring virgos: the fed-bio eats three!!! :P

^_^
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Intel”