Super-Refit question

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Posts: 688

Super-Refit question

Post#1 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:06 am

I've never played the Feds before. It's been interesting, I'll say that much. I'm perplexed though.

If I have two ships at a base and want to Refit both of them, but with different tech weaps and/or drives, how does the host decide what items to put on which ship?

For example:

Ship1:
ID# 123
Hull: Diplomacy
Engines: 2 Stardrive 1's
Beams: 6 Lasers
Tubes: 6 Mk I's

Ship2:
ID# 234
Hull: Nova
Engines: 4 TW Drives
Beams: 10 Lasers
Tubes: 10 Mk I's

Components in storage at base:
Engines: 2 TW Drives
Beams: 6 Disruptors, 10 Heavy Phasers
Tubes: 6 Mk VII's, 10 Mk VIII's

I can just see the host starting with the lowest ID ship and taking 6 of the HP's and Mk VIII tubes and putting them on the Diplomacy leaving the wrong things for the Nova, right? Or is the host going to look at the numbers of items and 'decide' that since there are 10 HPs they must be for the ship that needs 10 beams? What if I have a ship in the queue and parts waiting to go on it? What if those parts are higher tech than what I want to refit with? ACK!!!

Thanks,

ZB

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Contact:

Re: Super-Refit question

Post#2 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:49 am

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:I've never played the Feds before. It's been interesting, I'll say that much. I'm perplexed though.

If I have two ships at a base and want to Refit both of them, but with different tech weaps and/or drives, how does the host decide what items to put on which ship?

For example:

Ship1:
ID# 123
Hull: Diplomacy
Engines: 2 Stardrive 1's
Beams: 6 Lasers
Tubes: 6 Mk I's

Ship2:
ID# 234
Hull: Nova
Engines: 4 TW Drives
Beams: 10 Lasers
Tubes: 10 Mk I's

Components in storage at base:
Engines: 2 TW Drives
Beams: 6 Disruptors, 10 Heavy Phasers
Tubes: 6 Mk VII's, 10 Mk VIII's

I can just see the host starting with the lowest ID ship and taking 6 of the HP's and Mk VIII tubes and putting them on the Diplomacy leaving the wrong things for the Nova, right? Or is the host going to look at the numbers of items and 'decide' that since there are 10 HPs they must be for the ship that needs 10 beams? What if I have a ship in the queue and parts waiting to go on it? What if those parts are higher tech than what I want to refit with? ACK!!!

Thanks,

ZB


From the VGA Planets - The Complete User's Manual

The Super Refit special starship mission will cause the chief engineer of the starship to take better engines and/or weapons off of a starbase that the starship is in orbit around and, if there is enough, replace the lower technology devices with the more advanced ones. For this mission to function there must be enough parts on the starbase to replace what is on the starship.


If a starship has two tech 1 engines and 4 tech 4 beam weapons - the starbase will need at least 2 engines more advanced than tech 1 and 4 beams or more of a tech level higher than 4. If there is not enough beams but there is enough engines the old engines will be removed from the starship and placed in storage and the newer high tech engines will be placed on the starship.
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#3 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 3:33 pm

Ship id will be your biggest problem in Super Refitting of you ships.
but if you have ships with different beam and torp configuration, building types of beams and torps in the amounts that are equal to that ship type will solve the issue.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Posts: 688

Post#4 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:56 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Ship id will be your biggest problem in Super Refitting of you ships.
but if you have ships with different beam and torp configuration, building types of beams and torps in the amounts that are equal to that ship type will solve the issue.


So you're saying that, in the above case, Ship1, even though it has the lower ID and would presumably be first in the line for a refit will take the disruptors because there are six of them, rather than being refit with the HPs?

][avok tells me, however, that you can only refit one ship per base, per turn. I haven't yet tried to refit two ships at a base, so I am simply going on the assumption that he is correct.

My question was based on the idea that you could refit two (or more) ships per turn at the same base.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#5 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 6:38 pm

I have refitted mutilple ships at a SB before, so it that should not be a problem and if you have 10 beam ship with a lower ID it will not use any of the 6beams you build because it has to be a complete upgrade, so it will by pass the 6 beams and look for a group of 10. Same thing with torps if you have a 10 torp ship it will by pass groups of 4 or 8, and will grab the group of ten, same thing with engines,. The ship ID is the important part, now if the 6 beam ship has the lower ID, it will take the BEST beams that are available, so if it sees 10 Heavy Phasers and 6 disruptors it will take 6 Heavy Phasers. I did not look at the Tech ID's before sorry about that. The lower ID ship will take 6 out of 10, and 6 out of 10, even if you build 6 of somthing else. sorry for not reading the ID part better.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Sysop
Site Admin
Posts: 1240
Contact:

Post#6 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:10 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Ship id will be your biggest problem in Super Refitting of you ships.
but if you have ships with different beam and torp configuration, building types of beams and torps in the amounts that are equal to that ship type will solve the issue.


So you're saying that, in the above case, Ship1, even though it has the lower ID and would presumably be first in the line for a refit will take the disruptors because there are six of them, rather than being refit with the HPs?

][avok tells me, however, that you can only refit one ship per base, per turn. I haven't yet tried to refit two ships at a base, so I am simply going on the assumption that he is correct.

My question was based on the idea that you could refit two (or more) ships per turn at the same base.


Actually I said I think you can only do 1 per turn, but don't quote me because I don't play the Feds. 8)
Best Regards,

Joe

User avatar
Battlestar Host
Posts: 66
Contact:

Post#7 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:06 pm

Lowest ID ship will take whatever is there first. Then the next highest ship, etc. For example.. lets say I have my starbase with 10 Tech 9 beams, and 10 tech 9 torps... and I have two Missouris set to superrefit. Missouri ID#123 is outfitted with Transwarp engines but 0 beams and 0 torps. Missouri ID#434 has Transwarp Engines, 8 Tech 1 Beams, and 6 Tech 4 torps. Missouri ID#123 will refit first, taking 8 of the Tech 9 beams, and 6 of the Tech 9 torps... leaving 2 Tech 10 beams and 4 tech 9 torps. Since there are not enough torps or beams to refit Missouri #434, then it WILL NOT refit... You have to refit the numbers that the hull specify. Also, you must always refit UP.. it will never refit DOWN. It will take your lower tech stuff and dump it to the STarbase... however later you can set your FC to dmp and get some of those minerals and mc back.. HOWEVER.. be warned... DO NOT have your SB Friendly code set to dmp while super refitting.... you know what happens? you build your beams, and torps to refit.. then host sequence comes along.. DMP runs BEFORE refit.. and then you go to refit and nothing is there... except you scratching your head.

I should of course add that you can refit as many ships on one SB as you have parts for. I have refitted like 10 ships at one SB in one turn before... my customary strategy is to build up my SBs with high hull techs, and then build my Merlins, and Refinery ships first... then start building my warship hulls without the beams and torps and tech 1 engines... to be refitted later when I have the minerals and the money to do them. In many games I have had my opponents looking at the score... wondering what I was doing building so many merchant ships.. (you see until your ships have beams on them, they appear on the score list as merchant vessels)... then all of a sudden in one turn I have like 15 new shiny battleships and my score jumps as well as my pride... hehe.

For more on this check out my strategy page on playing the Feds...

Ed
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#8 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:15 pm

Ed,
Great point on the dmp friendly code, don't try to recycle all those older parts, and do a super refit at the same time. You will be very upset when you get your RST
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

User avatar
Battlestar Host
Posts: 66
Contact:

Post#9 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 11:19 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:Ed,
Great point on the dmp friendly code, don't try to recycle all those older parts, and do a super refit at the same time. You will be very upset when you get your RST


Yep.. ask Merlyn how he felt when he sent me an email asking what the (*&^^&*) was going on... then I told him and he felt REALLY embarrased... LOL.

Ed
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST.

User avatar
Zaphod Beeblebrox
Posts: 688

Post#10 » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:07 am

Thanks for the detailed replies!

LOL, yeah, I had thought about the dmp thing and expected it would work that way. (Solely because I expect the universe to be perverse and so find myself to be less often surprised when it turns out to be, and my surprises when it turns out not to be are pleasant ones. :wink: )

i.e. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all those ships I had built with no beams or torps could be upgraded. 8)

Return to “Intel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron