*.BMP Question

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

AngryJohnny

*.BMP Question

Post#1 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:03 am

I am putting together a list of what all the *.bmp files in WinPlan do. There are a few I can't seem to figure out & was wondering if anyone knew what the following *.bmp files were used for:

C8PROBE.bmp
GAG.bmp
NEW-1.bmp
VPAUX013.bmp

If anyone can tell me what these *.bmp files are used for it would be a big help! Thanks!

:?

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

Klauser

Re: *.BMP Question

Post#2 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:52 am

AngryJohnny wrote:I am putting together a list of what all the *.bmp files in WinPlan do. There are a few I can't seem to figure out & was wondering if anyone knew what the following *.bmp files were used for:

C8PROBE.bmp
GAG.bmp
NEW-1.bmp
VPAUX013.bmp

If anyone can tell me what these *.bmp files are used for it would be a big help! Thanks!

:?
The VPAUX0XX.bmps are generally for addons (Raceplus, Tachyon, Giveplan, etc), but which one VPAUX013.bmp supports I really don't know.

I also don't recall what C8PROBE.bmp, GAG.bmp, or NEW-1.bmp are for, although IIRC I remember seeing GAG.bmp and NEW-1.bmp in the game at somepoint.

Wish I were of more assistance, but I'm not much a WinPlan user ...
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Gilgamesh

Post#3 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:19 pm

This is entirely trivial, but the BMP set up bugs me with the Kitty and the Thor, and the two cubes using the same BMP.

Like I said - trivial........
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

AngryJohnny

Re: *.BMP Question

Post#4 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:12 pm

Klauser wrote:
The VPAUX0XX.bmps are generally for addons (Raceplus, Tachyon, Giveplan, etc), but which one VPAUX013.bmp supports I really don't know.

I also don't recall what C8PROBE.bmp, GAG.bmp, or NEW-1.bmp are for, although IIRC I remember seeing GAG.bmp and NEW-1.bmp in the game at somepoint.

Wish I were of more assistance, but I'm not much a WinPlan user ...
I know the VPAUX###.bmp images are usually used for addons, but as far as I can recal, I haven't played any games with addons. I believe this image was part of the original install. I am going nuts trying to figure it out too! LOL.

I did figure out what GAG.bmp was used for - its the image that appears on the ship visual scan when showing the waypoint of the target ship.

As for the others, I'm still stumped! Maybe I should E-Mail Tim & see if he would be so kind to tell me what the heck they are for?

Thanks for your help though!

-- Angry Johnny

AngryJohnny

Post#5 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:19 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:This is entirely trivial, but the BMP set up bugs me with the Kitty and the Thor, and the two cubes using the same BMP.

Like I said - trivial........
You know, that one has always caused me a lot of confusion too... why did Tim use the same *.bmp for

Thor/Kittyhawk
Biocide/Annihilation
B200/PL21
BR4/BR5
Opal/Topaz
T-Rex/Madonnzilla
D7/D7a

????

This has never made any sense to me. Oh well, maybe we shouldn't question the motives of the mighty Tim Contiuum. Ours is only to be loyal & follow his will.

PS - Don't kill me for this blasphemy Oh Great & Powerful Tim Contiuum - I did not mean it... :shock:

-- Angry Johnny

B A N E

Post#6 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:37 pm

Thor/Kittyhawk
Biocide/Annihilation
B200/PL21
BR4/BR5
Opal/Topaz
T-Rex/Madonnzilla
D7/D7a
Same pics for different hulls from dosplan days and resource.pln limits.

T-Rex/Mado had a pallette swap that caused one to be green while
the other was brown.

D7/D7a should be two different pics, it is in dosplan.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

hennef

Post#7 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:34 pm

yep. d7/d7a are two different ones: vpl62 and vpl66!

but i never figured how the mad/t-rex-colorthing would work. they look the same here. of course i changed the picks a million times :D

and just another one - vpl33: STF/MCAS/NRS ??? why? there are so nice picks around..... ;)
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#8 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:49 pm

STF/NFR/MCA are all the same pic in dosplan.
The only difference is the swapped palette.

STF: Brown
NFR: Green
MCA: Blue
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Klauser

Post#9 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:31 pm

AngryJohnny wrote:You know, that one has always caused me a lot of confusion too... why did Tim use the same *.bmp ....

This has never made any sense to me. Oh well, maybe we shouldn't question the motives of the mighty Tim Contiuum. Ours is only to be loyal & follow his will.
In 2006 you're right. This seems like so much a hack job.

I gotta tell ya, in the early 90's this was hot stuff for shareware!

Yeah .. I'm an old fart :roll:
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:45 pm

Klauser wrote:
AngryJohnny wrote:You know, that one has always caused me a lot of confusion too... why did Tim use the same *.bmp ....

In 2006 you're right. This seems like so much a hack job.

I gotta tell ya, in the early 90's this was hot stuff for shareware!

PHOST! PHOST! PHOST!
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#11 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:23 pm

Klauser wrote:I gotta tell ya, in the early 90's this was hot stuff for shareware!

After wasting many hours playing BRE, SRE, TW and other things
on BBS's... when VGAP came along, it was awesome.

It was sooooo cool to be able to play a game with decent graphics
(for the time) on a bbs against other people.

As bad as the original graphics were, it was so much better than
ansi! :shock:

smelly old fart here too.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

AngryJohnny

Post#12 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:36 pm

You know, you're right, vpl62.bmp for the D7 & vpl66.bmp for the D7a. I just use a pic that is almost the same. LOL I got a little confused. :?

I was amazed when I first played VGAP. My dad used to be a sysop on a BBS & I remember playing TW2000. (man I loved that game!) I started playing in the early-mid 90's on the BBS. After VGAP came out they used to start describing TW2000 as the VGAP training. I was just as amazed at the graphics & game play when I started playing VGAP - especially being shareware. (Honestly, I still am) I quit playing after NAVGAP (may it rest in peace) died the first time. I almost forgot about the game until one day (randomly) I came across a few VGAP pages & learned that NAVGAP had been resurected.

I remember ANSI graphics... I used to make a few for the BBS.

I still can't figure out what those other *.bmp's are used for...

<-- searching WinPlan DOCs for Tim's E-Mail address... :)

-- Angry Johnny

AngryJohnny

Post#13 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:54 pm

One other question - The *.bmp files used for the buttons in the game & the tool bar (IPLAN.bmp, IHELP.bmp, IFIND.bmp, etc.) can these be changed? I updated IPLAN.bmp & coppied it into c:\VGAP\BMP & started the game & the original image still appeared. Does WinPlan pull these images from a different location like a *.dll? & if so, is there a way to alter them too? Thanks!

-- Angry Johnny

Klauser

Post#14 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 3:23 pm

AngryJohnny wrote:One other question - The *.bmp files used for the buttons in the game & the tool bar (IPLAN.bmp, IHELP.bmp, IFIND.bmp, etc.) can these be changed? I updated IPLAN.bmp & coppied it into c:\VGAP\BMP & started the game & the original image still appeared. Does WinPlan pull these images from a different location like a *.dll? & if so, is there a way to alter them too? Thanks!
If you ever hear about a way to edit the VGAP icons in the DLL file, please post it here. I'd love to be able to edit those Winplan VCR icons ...

Thanks!!
Klauser

AngryJohnny

Post#15 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:32 am

Klauser wrote:
AngryJohnny wrote:One other question - The *.bmp files used for the buttons in the game & the tool bar (IPLAN.bmp, IHELP.bmp, IFIND.bmp, etc.) can these be changed? I updated IPLAN.bmp & coppied it into c:\VGAP\BMP & started the game & the original image still appeared. Does WinPlan pull these images from a different location like a *.dll? & if so, is there a way to alter them too? Thanks!
If you ever hear about a way to edit the VGAP icons in the DLL file, please post it here. I'd love to be able to edit those Winplan VCR icons ...

Thanks!!
I know that the VGAP Icons in the *.dll can be edited, I just don't know how to do it. I have a *.dll file that has some replacement icons for the Icons & the starbases if you like I can send it to you.

If anyone does know how to edit the icons in the *.dll file, please, please share your knowledge. I'm looking to edit the icons used in the game for the buttons. Thanks!

-- Angry Johnny

Return to “Intel”