Crystaline Art of War

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

casebolt

Crystaline Art of War

Post#1 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:14 am

Some refuse to play the Crystals because they seem to be weak and boreing
and to them it becomes so. Id like to open a discussion on Crystal Tactics and stategey on all levels, you have one lets hear it?

1. Economic ?
2. Military, Ships, weapons?
3. Colonization ships, and drop off plans?
4. When to lay webs/when to msc them?
5. negotions with others/war with others

Casebolt... :pumpkin:

AngryJohnny

Post#2 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:57 am

My strategy when it comes to the crystals is to stay as far away from those web slinging clumps of rock as I possibly can. Now I’m talking about having to fight the little buggers, I’ve never actually played them… I guess I’m one of those who are too afraid to give them a try.

As for them being weak & boring? I don’t think so. Every time I’ve ever run up against the crystals, they’ve handed my shinny metal rear end to me on a platter.

:shock:

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

casebolt

Post#3 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 am

Why not play them? In a simple way to start if you dont know how to proceed to play with them is Build Emerad class cruisers early for Colonization and early webs. If you buildt nothing but Emeralds you still can be powerfull and well able to defend yourself. Mk 4s torps min, untill you can afford Mark 7s or 8s. Emeralds are the workhorse of the Crystals, They are a Colonization Scare tactic! They can alone without webs fight any cruiser in the game and do very well. most (like you) would just stay away vs confronting them .
Laying small webs over each planet you take will give you a heads up as soon as someone makes contact by hitting web or contact by sweeping. Both ways you are alerted. Now you target thee area and lay bigger Webs and muti webs. The enemy ship will try to sweep and run or sweep advance.
or sit sweep. If you can keep your webs up beound his sweeping ability
its just a matter of time before his fuell runs out and the ship is now yours.

Casebolt..

hennef

Post#4 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:01 am

booooooooooooooooooring
have fun!

hennef

Kid Khan

Post#5 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:16 am

hennef wrote:booooooooooooooooooring
I'll show you how boring we can get! ;)

Mika

Post#6 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:11 am

The Crystals... probably my most favoured race, I simply love them

Economy and exploration is not so different... do what you can and stay hidden as long possible. Sometimes I don't colonize planets that are too far away to stay hidden... but only when I know that my opponent is already so close that I just want to have a surprise for him.

The ships... the shiplist is extremely useful.
I build, Opals, Rubies, Emeralds, Diamond Flames and Crystal Thunders

The opal is a good ship if you can't afford anything else. With mk4 torps you can kill freighters or stop them with a small web. I also love to fly around with just 10 mk4 torps and use "mdq" to drop just one or two torps if possible. And when I'm in position a few Emeralds/Rubies fly to these small webs (four or five are enough). With that tactics I was able to lay 5 overlapping webs over a carrier fleet that was around 100ly away. They had to recycle their carriers but I still got two of them.

The Ruby is of course something you should build if you can't afford the Emerald. Not much difference...

The Emerald is the best medium ship in the game if you ask me. That fuel tank and cargo hold is tremendous! With just one Emerald (usually the Rubies and Emeralds should have mk7 or if money is no problem mk8 torps) you can lay almost two maximum webs... with mk8 torps you can lay two max webs!

The only problem you have as crystal is when your enemy comes with 5 or more ships with 10 beams each and all of them are heavy phasers or heavy disruptors. Then you have to fight. Laying webs is more or less impossible and a waste of ressources (but there is still a little hint... more later).

For that case I always have Diamonds and Thunders around... I build them in a 3/2 ratio. That combination is powerful and not too expensive. I think that is a fair deal for the tactical advantage you get from the webs. And the good thing is that every intercepting fleet can still hit a mine and if you have just 3 Diamonds and 2 Thunders for defense but your enemy has... let's say 5 Virgos you can still hope that only two or three will make it to your planet/base. Webs give you time to defend!!!

About that little hint.
Always funny to see my enemy at the edge of a web. I know he brought his best sweeper (of course that ship is what I want to destroy first if possible). In that case the opal can be extremely powerful again. You only need a ship with a lower ID than the sweeping ship. All you have to do is to fill up your ship with supplies or minerals... you need just 1 - 5kt cargo space open. Then you set the mission to sweep mines and the friendly code to "msc" and your ship scoops a few mines before the big sweeper starts to waste your minerals. The nice thing is that that can be enough (echoview helps). If your enemy is just 1ly within your web just a few torps must be scooped and he is 1 - 3ly outside of the web!!! Of course your naive enemy thinks he will sweep the web and set a waypoint for your planet or the next sweeping point. In that case he will hit a mine... pretty sure.

If your enemy is not so stupid he has just two options.
ignore the webs and accept any minehit he will get (good for you in any way) or it will take ages to advance just around 5ly per turn... and still have the chance to pass around 1 - 3ly through your web and hit a mine every turn. No matter what happens... your enemy will lose fuel and you have some more time to bring your big ships (if you have them)

...sometimes I ask myself why I post my most beloved tactics... :-k

Yes... and never forget to be well prepared. Nothing worse than a web that was just not big enough. If you know the enemy ship has 10 heavy phasers and you lay a 3000 mines web just let it be. Then you have to retreat or fight. A good crystal can hit every enemy that is not prepared to sweep webs and the best crystal just has more webs than a normal fleet can sweep (and of course some combos for bigger fleets).

When I laid those 5 overlapping webs I had around 2500 torps ready for laying... and Rubies and Emeralds were bringin additional torps all the time. I knew that this fleet had not the best beams and my calculation told me that I could keep up those 5 webs for almost 10 turns. ...125kt fuel drain every turn even without moving really hurts ;)

Of course my ally had the cloakers to tow away ships that just have 1kt and sweep mines. Otherwise it wouldn't work.

Well... Crystals are cool 8)
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

B A N E

Post#7 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 1:42 pm

Crystals:
Think of a bubble bath.

There are pro's and con's for early pre-emptive webbing and the
tactic should be considered and determined in each game.

The Crystal fleet IMO:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/museum/bane/p7fleet1.htm
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

casebolt

Post#8 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Mika, good information ! Your Opal mdq tactic for small webs is one I use as well. It is amazeing how many little webs you can spin at mdq from that one opal, placement of these webs can be on over planets and travel lanes. Other races just simply cannot ignore the Webs, they have to sweep them or leave.
If one chooses to build a Large Frieghter early one idea is to have it tow your early opal (tech 6 engines). While your freighter colonizes it have some light protection, while your little opal is spining small webs on every planet you colonize. The small webs will decay at a much slower rate and at anytime you can increase the size when threatened.

Emeralds abilities in early colonization can be more offensive than most play them! Remember its 8 beams 3 torp weapon system is hard to beat and puts the Crystal in a strong position when colonizeing. Enemy Race chooses to engage their cruiser with Emerald, enemy race cruiser is destroyed and Emerald lays webs, repairs, and then continues colonization. Point, Emeralds are geared for offense/ defense so colonize with them agressively with out fear.

Casebolt...

casebolt

Post#9 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Bane I for one like the Bubble bath concept. That is to lay as many small webs as I can from start till mine que bottoms out. Useally by that time your Colonization is done and you have a super defensable position that would take till turn 100+ to dig you out. At this point of the game colonization is done and time should be prepareing your Emeralds for extending webs to their maxed state when enemies become intangled. Become a spider at this stage....

Casebolt...

B A N E

Post#10 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:18 pm

If you like the bubble bath concept...
You should consider what can be done in Phost now with much
larger than 500 minefields.
:shock:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

casebolt

Post#11 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:21 pm

A much bigger bubble bath!!!

Casebolt...

AngryJohnny

Post#12 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:27 pm

One tactic that was used against me (I was the Robots) by a pesky crystal player was that he laid 1 mine field that didn't seem too be much of a problem in front of my advancing Instrumentality. I entered 1-2 ly inside the web & began sweeping. What the I didn't know is what he was planning after I entered the web...

1st he made the web I was sweeping bigger by laying more so even after sweeping, I was a good 7-10 ly inside the web.

2nd he showed up with 2 more emeralds & the right locations & laid 2 more webs.

The end result was my ship was caught inside 3 seperate webs which happend to all be overlapping at the same spot my ship was sweeping.

Needless to say, I ended up losing that ship... & let me tell you, there is nothing worse than having a fully loaded Instrumentality that you spent so much time, effort, MC & minerals on sent back at you as cannon fodder.

Another thing I that this player did was make full use of the fact that my mines could not destroy his mines so by the time he finally killed me, I couldn't even move through my own mine fields, there were so many of his webs within my own space & fields, that I couldn't move. He had me as a sitting duck, desperatly trying to keep fuel on board my ships.

This player managed to either destory or capture my entire fleet with out loosing a single ship of his own. The only ships that I fought were my own stolen ships...

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

B A N E

Post#13 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:46 pm

And that brings up counter crystal tactic #3
#1 is having BIG BEAMS
#2 is having full fuel tanks on big fuel tank ships.
#3 Live in your own minefields.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Shardin5

Post#14 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:30 pm

B A N E wrote: #3 Live in your own minefields.
Which leads to another Tholian Tactic. DO not always lay web. Only the Cylons can compete with you in the MineField laying, the Emeralds, Cargo makes it a scary thing for others to face. Load them your Emeralds and your Ruby's charge the other person, laying webs and counter mining his mines. Nothing better than to have multiple webs that a enemy has to travel through, lay small cluster force him to sweep 1 small cluster at a time, as he sweeps 1 little cluster and he has to Charge to the next one, have a MF show up, with a outer edge of your NEW minefield 12lyrs from the edge of the web field he is sweeping, he can't sweep your mines has to move in to MF to get to the next web. Bigger BOOMS when he does that.

As for the Cylon, he can match with the 4x mine laying, but he can't sweep webs and lay at the same time, and the Cylon doesn't have any ships with enough Heavy Phasers to do much sweeping with. Send your ships in pairs or 3(prefer 3) 1 has the purpose of laying webs and fencing him in the other 2 ships preferable Emeralds, laying mines to really confuse those Cat's. Lot other great tactics, if you need them.
Stay Hidden, and get the Economy going, YOU will may lose to Alliances but never to a 1vs1

You can always ask Havok or Cherek, about what happens to a Cylon, when attacking or being attacked by a Tholian. Cylon will be wiped out, or forced to HIDE in a little hole begging for the game to end. :twisted:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

hennef

Post#15 » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:47 pm

:tumbleweed:
have fun!

hennef

Return to “Intel”