Crystaline Art of War

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mika

Re: Crystal Allies

Post by Mika » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 am

Cornrelius wrote:Bad allies:
- Robot (Too similar abilities. Now, are we laying small webs or big standard minefields?)
- Rebel (Not much point in allying. Use them as fighter slaves...)
- Fascist (Has very little to offer.)

Comments?

- Cornrelius
Ever heard of "stop'n'pop"?
you can imagine what it is. You have a big cube or gorbie coming your way? A Crystal Coldpain lays a small web right in the way of the carrier or around it. In the worst case you need two ships to have enough mines so they can't be swept away in one turn. Usually 20 - 25ly are enough to stop every ship. The masterpiece is to coordinate the poppers so you are in strike range when such a big ship appears. Then just send three or four poppers to that location at warp 9 followed by a Vicky... or you wait one turn and send in the crystal thunder.

So even for so large ships the worst case for you is to lose four poppers and one carrier/battleship. Poppers can be rebuilt without problems and cubes/gorbies/golems give enough pbps. All other ships require only three poppers and one battleship anyway.

And the best is that you only have to do that with the good sweepers. Just find out what ship is a good sweeper and kill it that way. All other ships just need time.

I like that combo

But my preferred ally as Crystal are the Lizards. The Thunder is a good substitute for the Mado. A Rex(/Rex)/Thunder combo kills everything and is damn cheap. And the Lizzies can provide loads of money to buy thousands of torps. Last but not least the LCC!!! Towing out enemies to their doom is great!

But the Birds are great too. Resolutes are cheap. Just make sure that you have enough money. You don't need a big number of ships nor good battleships. A few Darkwings, Diamonds/Thunders are enough. As long as you have Emeralds/Resolutes filled up with torps and the few ships to kill a descent sweeper there is prey waiting for you.

xtals are my most beloved race, btw :)
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Catman

Post by Catman » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:19 am

I'd have to agree with Cherek on the Privateers. MBRs in the hands of Crystals are awesome.

Next choice would be Birdmen.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

hennef

Post by hennef » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:42 am

what about the empire?

ha! ... none?

haha... me neither ;)

just thought i should mention them :D
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post by Shardin5 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:49 am

Catman wrote:I'd have to agree with Cherek on the Privateers. MBRs in the hands of Crystals are awesome.

Catman
My preferred Ally is the Birdman, Pirate/Tholian alliance is cool. In the long run the Birdmen are better allies, and you can capture all the MBR's you want to. To put them in order, and its just mine, Romulans, Klingons, Gorn, Borg, Federation. List is basically based on personally playing style.
Last edited by Shardin5 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Tei

Post by Tei » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:28 am

I would have put the Feds last. Other than heavily armed torp layers, and lots of cash, there isn't much interesting for me with this combo. EE makes a good ally. A large carrier either by itself or to back up a Diamond can really help.

SSD is very useful too.

My favorite is the Privateer ally. There is no place for a race to hide. Not in space or at a planet.

Tei

planetmaker

Post by planetmaker » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:12 am

Tei wrote:I would have put the Feds last. Other than heavily armed torp layers, and lots of cash, there isn't much interesting for me with this combo. EE makes a good ally. A large carrier either by itself or to back up a Diamond can really help.

SSD is very useful too.

My favorite is the Privateer ally. There is no place for a race to hide. Not in space or at a planet.
I don't agree with this judgment of the Feds. Having at hand huge amounts of cash is quite handy and important in successful capturing fleets. And playing mostly PHost, they possess the nice Defiant, a decent cloaker.

Probably it boils down again to: it depends upon ship list.

Cherek

Post by Cherek » Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:38 am

planetmaker wrote: And playing mostly PHost, they possess the nice Defiant, a decent cloaker.

I just want clarify that the Defiant is part of the Plist ship list and not part of PHost.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

scooby dood

Post by scooby dood » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:04 am

Enemy#1 wrote:
Catman wrote:I'd have to agree with Cherek on the Privateers. MBRs in the hands of Crystals are awesome.

Catman
My preferred Ally is the Birdman, Pirate/Tholian alliance is cool. In the long run the Birdmen are better allies, and you can capture all the MBR's you want to. To put them in order, and its just mine, Romulans, Klingons, Gorn, Borg, Federation. List is basically based on personally playing style.
I agree,
I am actually allied with a very stupid romulan (in 11th place) that is handing over resolutes for me to lay webs with. Anyhow, I believe Catman's list is as good as its going too get.
Ken

Active games:
Arrow of Apollo race 8
Cluster Discovery 80 race 7 @ http://rcworld.de/
Maelstrom race 3

Tei

Post by Tei » Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:44 pm

planetmaker wrote:
Tei wrote:I would have put the Feds last. Other than heavily armed torp layers, and lots of cash, there isn't much interesting for me with this combo. EE makes a good ally. A large carrier either by itself or to back up a Diamond can really help.

SSD is very useful too.

I don't agree with this judgment of the Feds. Having at hand huge amounts of cash is quite handy and important in successful capturing fleets. And playing mostly PHost, they possess the nice Defiant, a decent cloaker.

The Crystals usually have access to good amounts of cash. They can have very large populations on ice and hot worlds and not lose colonists.

If fact, they can make good use of an ally's very hot or cold worlds with good colonists.

Julius Atreides

Post by Julius Atreides » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:53 am

The Crystals usually have access to good amounts of cash. They can have very large populations on ice and hot worlds and not lose colonists.
I have heard in the past that crystals need an economic advantage but I think this ability pointed out is a huge economic advantage.

They can maximize (or nearly so) taxes and useage of natives on almost any planet even without terraforming.

hehe, and so you find that 0 degree 8 millon bovinoid Participatory world... now you got a reason to build that onyx to heat it one degree so you can get them taxes and supplies :)

Shardin5

Post by Shardin5 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:06 am

Tholian Cash flow problems are MOSTLY a EARLY game issue.
It is also why a Tholian will keep you at bay and let you sweep the outer edges, you HAVE to take his planets from him.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Mika

Post by Mika » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:24 am

Enemy#1 wrote:Tholian Cash flow problems are MOSTLY a EARLY game issue.
It is also why a Tholian will keep you at bay and let you sweep the outer edges, you HAVE to take his planets from him.
It is the same the other way around. Who loves to upgrade to good beams early? Most players just build ships with weaker beams and mk7 torps to have the punch. Beams are secondary.

So if a Ruby/Emerald appears near your HW early in the game that forces you to build disruptors at least. That means cash for tech levels and probably a duranium shortage. But that means that even a Missouri can sweep only 600 webmines with disruptors. And any better beam is even more expensive. Especially in Moly what most races do not have in abundance in the very early stage of a game.

Nothing worse than a Crystal that has a good money planet next to his HW and decides to spend money on 100 mk7 torps instead of more ships. That can ruin everyones economy. Not to mention that the Emerald is no really bad battleship too. So the Crystal player can attack your planets covered by his own webs and make more torps with the supplies/money found there. And just 100 torps still leave space for many colonists to quick tax any natives to make even more torps.
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

B A N E

Post by B A N E » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Samuelt86 wrote:There is not a bad race for the Crystal to ally with. What you bring to the table is unique and will work well with all races.

Sam
What he said...

Unlike most races, the Crystals benefit from each race but differently.

Feds allow the Crystal to build a lot of hulls and upgrade along
with moving the CT to a nice one shot CV hammer to reload.

Lizards grant cash, minerals, cloakers.

Birds, drool...birds don't grant economic advantages as much as an
indefinite cloaked loiter capacity and the wonderful Resolute.

Fascists, they cloak, they pillage, the resupply easily.

Pirates...drool.

Borg... yikes Chunnel security, anywhere, anytime...BAM!

EE... big guns that know exactly where to aim and hard to counter.

Bots... big guns, big mines, big webs... it just hurts.

Rebels... big guns, RGA, Falcon reloads, cheap and strong.

CofM... unlimited mobility for you, no mobility for them... plus Virgos!
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post by Cherek » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:40 pm

Don't forget that the Robots, Rebels and CoM provides free fighters the the CT's which translates into more torps for WEBs for more coverage.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post by B A N E » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:58 pm

Oh no question.
The fighters at a 95% discount means more money for webs! :twisted:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Return to “Intel”