Crystaline Art of War

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mika

Post#181 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:25 am

about space travelling races that can not prevent a large meteor impact:

I did some calculations... I just hope it is correct. Has been a while since I had to do this.

According to my calculations you just have to change the course of a large meteor by 0° 0' and 0,01" if that big thing is still 50ly away. JUST 50 of course. Since our ships can travel 81ly in just a month that is nothing our races should worry about. That means our ships travel even at warp 1 12times faster then the light (one ly in just one month).

And even a poor 100kt ship can tow a fully loaded cube/battlestar/merlin/whatever... any +3000kt mass ship around as if it were just a piece of paper. So if the largest meteors as we know them have +9000kt of each mineral that would be a total of max 40,000kt mass. These things travel with sub-lightspeed and need ages to hit our beloved planets.

Ok. I hope that was the proof that every poor 2-engine-ship should be able to change the necessary angle to prevent a large meteor impact... withing the physics of winplan :)

No guarantee that my calculations are correct. If someone is a maths professor at Havard, Oxford or whatever feel free to correct me :)

Dr. Charles Montgomery Burns
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

planetmaker

Post#182 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:23 am

Mika wrote:about space travelling races that can not prevent a large meteor impact:

I did some calculations... I just hope it is correct. Has been a while since I had to do this.

According to my calculations you just have to change the course of a large meteor by 0° 0' and 0,01" if that big thing is still 50ly away. JUST 50 of
In reality meteors - regardless of size - will originate within the very same solar system wherein they impact onto another body. Despite this, a space faring race of the kind we talk about here, should have a complete coverage of all bodies of potentially dangerous size, far better than our current knowledge of near earth objects. E.g. see http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

And given the power of the engines of the warp ships and the propper warning time the knowledge of virtually all potentiall dangerous objects, it should be possible to alter the course of any asteroid or comet or meteoroid in order to prevent impact onto an inhabited celestial body.

robert

Post#183 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:18 am

Mika wrote:just about meteors... I hate them too
small meteor showers are ok. If you wish to add minerals to a game these small showers are fair because they are very even. Sometimes it happens that some meteors hit planets that are close together. If these planets had no natives too the race there has a huge advantage. Especially in rare games.

In one of my games a 14mio Bovinoid representative planet (nice, eh?) was hit. I used growth taxing and was at 95 happiness again so several thousand MCs would have followed. BUT of course a meteor hit that planet. Happiness didn't change dramatically and around 3000 out of my 6000 clans survived. But I only had 1.1mio Bovos left.

That sucks!

Two turns later another important money planet was hit. I really have to look more carefully next time. I will probably never join a game with big meteors again.

In the game im playing ive had 3 huge hits, only 1 planet has natives, so on the whole its been a success for me, but I know what you mean !!!

Rbert

Cherek

Post#184 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:53 am

robert wrote:In the game im playing ive had 3 huge hits, only 1 planet has natives, so on the whole its been a success for me, but I know what you mean !!!

Rbert
Yours is coming.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#185 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:26 am

Cherek, How many HW's have you lost to mighty mineral Meteors?!?!?!

:pointlaugh: :stirthepot: :jester:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#186 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:55 am

TOO MANY! It really hard when your HW get tagged really early in the game and your remaining clans and natives are they are rioting. :cry: It is just hard to build anything when they are rioting. :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#187 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:00 am

Imagine what it would be like if a large meteor hit a planet with a starbase and it automatically took out the SB. :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#188 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:36 am

There is one good side to having your homeworld taken out early.
You're effectively out of the game therefore you can take on another.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

hennef

Post#189 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:52 am

B A N E wrote:There is one good side to having your homeworld taken out early.
You're effectively out of the game therefore you can take on another.
and you can never be blamed, that you did not try.... :P
have fun!

hennef

robert

Post#190 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:13 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:TOO MANY! It really hard when your HW get tagged really early in the game and your remaining clans and natives are they are rioting. :cry: It is just hard to build anything when they are rioting. :roll:
You must be unlucky because ive never had a large Meteor hit my HW

Cherek

Post#191 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:34 pm

robert wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:TOO MANY! It really hard when your HW get tagged really early in the game and your remaining clans and natives are they are rioting. :cry: It is just hard to build anything when they are rioting. :roll:
I've played a few more games and a couple more years than you have. As I said earlier, "Yours is coming".
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

hennef

Post#192 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:50 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
robert wrote:
I've played a few more games and a couple more years than you have. As I said earlier, "Yours is coming".
he is probably right, Robert.

they are coming, even for you! and they will be devastating!
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post#193 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:42 pm

Well you can always play the Borg, and have HW"s all over the place
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Tei

Post#194 » Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:08 pm

Is there a native race difference in the survivability of meteors? I don't have any hard facts but it sure seems like bovonoids lose a lot more clans than insect or avian... Maybe it helps if they can fly away or burrow under ground when one hits.

robert

Post#195 » Thu Mar 29, 2007 5:55 am

hennef wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
robert wrote: You must be unlucky because ive never had a large Meteor hit my HW
he is probably right, Robert.

they are coming, even for you! and they will be devastating!
Not been a problem so far

YET

Return to “Intel”