Crystaline Art of War

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Tei
Posts: 602

Post#211 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:24 pm

B A N E wrote:"spamming minefields", laying a whole bunch of little fields to force
the 500 minefield limit.

A guaranteed castration of a crystal.
Take away the webs, take away the ability to steal ships.
For the Phost 4 setting, one could lay little mines in say one's enemy's ID. Then that would shut down their mining ability. It would be a lot easier to lay 100 than 500...

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#212 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:41 pm

Tei wrote:
B A N E wrote:"spamming minefields", laying a whole bunch of little fields to force
the 500 minefield limit.

A guaranteed castration of a crystal.
Take away the webs, take away the ability to steal ships.
For the Phost 4 setting, one could lay little mines in say one's enemy's ID. Then that would shut down their mining ability. It would be a lot easier to lay 100 than 500...
Excellent point.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#213 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:44 pm

However, regarding your point.
Seems the Phost folks thought of that:
Check out this setting:
MineIdNeedsPermission = Yes

Another interesting Phost setting:
AllowMoreThan500Minefields = No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No

But this setting stinks:
WebMineSweepRange = 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,15
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Tei
Posts: 602

Post#214 » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:20 pm

B A N E wrote:However, regarding your point.
Seems the Phost folks thought of that:
Check out this setting:
MineIdNeedsPermission = Yes

Another interesting Phost setting:
AllowMoreThan500Minefields = No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No,No

But this setting stinks:
WebMineSweepRange = 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,15
I really like the first two settings but the last. You're just scaring me on the last one, right?!!

That couldn't be the default setting... :twitch:
That would take a lot of fun out of playing the Crystals...

planetmaker
Posts: 88
Contact:

Post#215 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:20 am

Tei wrote:
I really like the first two settings but the last. You're just scaring me on the last one, right?!!

That couldn't be the default setting... :twitch:
That would take a lot of fun out of playing the Crystals...
Not quite. The host order is different here than in thost:

MineDecay
MineLay
MineSweep

In order to not need to fly INTO the field, but just to the edge, the minesweep range has to be adjusted.

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#216 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:17 am

why do the CofM get higher web-sweep ranges???

WHY???

that is just another one of those: the CofM are the coolest pilots on earth and sweep it all-settings.

is it really 15ly as standard?
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#217 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:19 am

planetmaker wrote:
Tei wrote:
I really like the first two settings but the last. You're just scaring me on the last one, right?!!

That couldn't be the default setting... :twitch:
That would take a lot of fun out of playing the Crystals...
Not quite. The host order is different here than in thost:

MineDecay
MineLay
MineSweep

In order to not need to fly INTO the field, but just to the edge, the minesweep range has to be adjusted.

Tei,
The pconfig.src that I'm quoting from is the one that comes with Plist3.1.

planetmaker,
I don't mind the 3's as much as I mind the 15 for the CofM.
I can see the logic due to the different mine decay sequence,
but as a crystal, I'd much rather have zero.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#218 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:24 am

BANE, why the hell are you awake? it must be 0430 at your place ;)

i do not like the 3ly-option as well. even with the changed decay-thingy
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#219 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 am

hennef wrote:BANE, why the hell are you awake? it must be 0430 at your place ;)

i do not like the 3ly-option as well. even with the changed decay-thingy
sleep disorder?
:lol:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
Shardin5
Posts: 3808

Post#220 » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:06 am

Sleep Disorder?!?!!?
Strange term to be calling your kids.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

planetmaker
Posts: 88
Contact:

Post#221 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:30 pm

B A N E wrote: planetmaker,
I don't mind the 3's as much as I mind the 15 for the CofM.
I can see the logic due to the different mine decay sequence,
but as a crystal, I'd much rather have zero.
Sure, as Tholian, you'd like to see it that way. But it would increase the effectiveness of webs in comparison with timhost. There you always have the option to fly directly to the edge of a field, do not suffer any drains or mine hits, sweep the field and then continue savely. That is provided no field gets extended, of course. You don't have this possibility with phost. IMO setting the mine sweep range to something small, but positive will allow you to exercise this tactics with phost, too. Indeed, I do :), and like it.

@hennef:
The detailed settings, depend upon ship list. Especially the settings for plist 3.x should not be considered without context. The pconfig settings were tailored to match the ship list and even out the strength of the different races. Don't judge the strength of a single race from a single setting. And rest assured, that no single race is really favoured; e.g the CofM were penalized by reducing the ramscoop rate to 1/LY. Input for the ship list and pconfig settings was from so many people that single preferences should have cancelled out.

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#222 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:45 pm

B A N E wrote:planetmaker,
I don't mind the 3's as much as I mind the 15 for the CofM.
I can see the logic due to the different mine decay sequence,
but as a crystal, I'd much rather have zero.
I agree with BANE, I think 15ly is a steep. An Atlanta Class Battlestar can sweep 3600 WEBmines by itself at 15ly.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#223 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:15 pm

I could see the CoM can sweep WEBmines twice the distance 6lys, but not five times the distance. I think coupled with the 3600 WEBmines sweeping and the additional 600kt of fuel, would make capturing the Atlanta next to impossible for a Tholian.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

planetmaker
Posts: 88
Contact:

Post#224 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:I think coupled with the 3600 WEBmines sweeping and the additional 600kt of fuel, would make capturing the Atlanta next to impossible for a Tholian.
In order to capture a ship, you sure know, the Tholian needs to keep it INSIDE the field - this way the ship can sweep regardless of the minesweepdistance. Also Tholians don't have a weak ship list anymore - Diamond / Silicon Avatar combos kill every flag ship save Exterminator and DeathStar.

The argument is, unfortunately I don't find the link to the propper page on the vagabund, that webs are more meant to be a tactical advantage (with plist) than a capture possibility - which they still are.

User avatar
robert
Posts: 411

Post#225 » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:21 pm

hennef wrote:why do the CofM get higher web-sweep ranges???

WHY???

that is just another one of those: the CofM are the coolest pilots on earth and sweep it all-settings.

is it really 15ly as standard?
Could you explain, what makes the Com differtent when sweeping WEBs?

Return to “Intel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

cron