Running DOS VGA Planets in Windows XP ?!?!?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Klauser

Running DOS VGA Planets in Windows XP ?!?!?

Post#1 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:32 am

Running DOS apps Full Screen for Windows XP

I'm not sure if this is already known, but I stumbled across this capability by accident.

If you're running WinXP and DOSBox, you may be able to run DOS VGAP or VPA (or SHIPS, etc) in full screen by doing the following:

- Start up DOSBox

- Mount your primary drive (i.e. "mount C C:\")

- CD to primary drive (i.e. "C:")

- Type in the path/excutable for one of your DOS apps (i.e. PLANETS.EXE, SHIPS.EXE, VPA, etc)

- Once the app fires up in DOSBOX, select "Alt-Enter" to switch the app to full screen.

- It should come up in full screen mode.

- Select "Alt-Enter" again to reduce the app to the DOSBox window.

- Exit DOSBox

- You should now be able to browse to the app directly (using "My Computer" or "Explorer") and run the app fullscreen without starting up DOSBox from now on.

So far this has worked on three machines running XP with SP2. Please let me know if this works on your machines - or if it doesn't.

Thanks to "Bleys of Borg" for confirming this on his rig.
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Running DOS VGA Planets in Windows XP ?!?!?

Post#2 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:38 am

Klauser wrote:Running DOS apps Full Screen for Windows XP

I'm not sure if this is already known, but I stumbled across this capability by accident.

If you're running WinXP and DOSBox, you may be able to run DOS VGAP or VPA (or SHIPS, etc) in full screen by doing the following:

- Start up DOSBox

- Mount your primary drive (i.e. "mount C C:")

- CD to primary drive (i.e. "C:")

- Type in the path/excutable for one of your DOS apps (i.e. PLANETS.EXE, SHIPS.EXE, VPA, etc)

- Once the app fires up in DOSBOX, select "Alt-Enter" to switch the app to full screen.

- It should come up in full screen mode.

- Select "Alt-Enter" again to reduce the app to the DOSBox window.

- Exit DOSBox

- You should now be able to browse to the app directly (using "My Computer" or "Explorer") and run the app fullscreen without starting up DOSBox from now on.

So far this has worked on three machines running XP with SP2. Please let me know if this works on your machines - or if it doesn't.

Thanks to "Bleys of Borg" for confirming this on his rig.
I don't even do that. I use a batch file (you need the choice.com program in your path) and run everything off a menu there. Including VPA, Interceptor, Ground Pound and whatever else I want to use, etc... Who needs Winplan? Not me.
Regards,
][avok

Praetor Spectre

Post#3 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:41 am

No DosBox needed with VPA 3.62c -- just run in batchfile -- will ask if want to unpack RST (if there)

And if youre gonna use DosBox - which works well - get a GUI frontend for it like DFend.
Kill them all...
drink their blood, salt their fields, torch their homes
- let only history remember them -

...then take their stuff.

Klauser

Post#4 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:48 am

Havok wrote:I don't even do that. I use a batch file (you need the choice.com program in your path) and run everything off a menu there. Including VPA, Interceptor, Ground Pound and whatever else I want to use, etc... Who needs Winplan? Not me.
Where is choice.com located on XP? Or is it something I need to download??
Klauser

Klauser

Post#5 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:51 am

Praetor Spectre wrote:No DosBox needed with VPA 3.62c -- just run in batchfile -- will ask if want to unpack RST (if there)

And if youre gonna use DosBox - which works well - get a GUI frontend for it like DFend.
Oooo ... where to download and what version to look for???
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:56 am

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:I don't even do that. I use a batch file (you need the choice.com program in your path) and run everything off a menu there. Including VPA, Interceptor, Ground Pound and whatever else I want to use, etc... Who needs Winplan? Not me.
Where is choice.com located on XP? Or is it something I need to download??
Just a little dos file I have. I'll send it to you when I get home.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#7 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:00 am

Havok wrote:Just a little dos file I have. I'll send it to you when I get home.
Thanks.

Sniff-sniff ... Dude, you're just too good to us!!
Klauser

B A N E

Post#8 » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:37 pm

I'm confused...

I have no problem running VPA under XP.
What's the problem?
What's the gain?
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Klauser

Post#9 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:10 am

B A N E wrote: I have no problem running VPA under XP.
What's the problem?
What's the gain?
When I first installed XP on my system earlier this year, NONE of my "DOS" VGAP apps would work (whether a straight use or use through batch file) would function under XP until Grant and Mark clued me in to DOSBox.

Once I installed that, I could use them, but always had to fire up DOSBox first. A minor hassle, but it worked.

Somewhere along the line, I used "alt-enter" to run VPA in full screen mode because I got tired of viewing it in a small window. Later I noticed from that point on, all I had to do to run Planets (be it PLANETS.EXE or my VPA batch file) was select those files in "My Computer" or "Explorer" (or a short cut) WITHOUT having to invoke DOSBox first.

Up until last night I hadn't figured out what I had done to cause it to work.

Clear as mud ???

And as to why I waited so fracking long to install XP? When I was a younger man, more trusting than I am now, I would happily install new operating systems soon after their release. Then I got nailed by MS DOS 4.0 (anyone remember THAT fiasco?). After that, I swore I would never be a "Bill's Beta Tester" any more ....
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:16 am

Klauser wrote:
B A N E wrote: I have no problem running VPA under XP.
What's the problem?
What's the gain?
When I first installed XP on my system earlier this year, NONE of my "DOS" VGAP apps would work (whether a straight use or use through batch file) would function under XP until Grant and Mark clued me in to DOSBox.

Once I installed that, I could use them, but always had to fire up DOSBox first. A minor hassle, but it worked.

Somewhere along the line, I used "alt-enter" to run VPA in full screen mode because I got tired of viewing it in a small window. Later I noticed from that point on, all I had to do to run Planets (be it PLANETS.EXE or my VPA batch file) was select those files in "My Computer" or "Explorer" (or a short cut) WITHOUT having to invoke DOSBox first.

Up until last night I hadn't figured out what I had done to cause it to work.

Clear as mud ???

And as to why I waited so fracking long to install XP? When I was a younger man, more trusting than I am now, I would happily install new operating systems soon after their release. Then I got nailed by MS DOS 4.0 (anyone remember THAT fiasco?). After that, I swore I would never be a "Bill's Beta Tester" any more ....
So are you saying you just now transfered from DOS 4.0????? :D
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#11 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:45 am

Havok wrote:So are you saying you just now transfered from DOS 4.0????? :D
Hardity-har-har ;)

No ... I'm not quite THAT much of a paleo-geek. :static:

What I shudda said was that since the DOS 4.0 fiasco, I take my own sweet time in upgrading my OS.

I was fairly happy in Win98-SE land until late last year when I FINALLY decided it was time.
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#12 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:48 am

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:So are you saying you just now transfered from DOS 4.0????? :D
Hardity-har-har ;)

No ... I'm not quite THAT much of a paleo-geek. :static:

What I shudda said was that since the DOS 4.0 fiasco, I take my own sweet time in upgrading my OS.

I was fairly happy in Win98-SE land until late last year when I FINALLY decided it was time.
98SE? Gads!!! You would have been better off in DOS lad. :lam:
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#13 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:56 am

Havok wrote:98SE? Gads!!! You would have been better off in DOS lad. :lam:
Yah, yah, yah ...

Say what you will about 98 - once it got it's bugs ironed out it was pretty stable. And since I was supporting 4 machines in the house at the time (wife, 2x teenagers), stable is what I needed.

And since I tend to play ... ahem ... older classics, I wasn't missing too much.
Klauser

Havok
Site Admin

Post#14 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:59 am

Klauser wrote:
Havok wrote:98SE? Gads!!! You would have been better off in DOS lad. :lam:
Yah, yah, yah ...

Say what you will about 98 - once it got it's bugs ironed out it was pretty stable. And since I was supporting 4 machines in the house at the time (wife, 2x teenagers), stable is what I needed.

And since I tend to play ... ahem ... older classics, I wasn't missing too much.
:) Now where are those Ultima 7 floppies.
Regards,
][avok

Klauser

Post#15 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:03 am

Havok wrote: :) Now where are those Ultima 7 floppies.
Speaking of paleo-geeks !!!!

During the Ultima era, I was an Empire / Empire Deluxe nutjob until I started slipping over to the VGAP darkside ...
Klauser

Return to “Intel”