E-Mail Addresses

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

E-Mail Addresses

Post#1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:37 pm

Why do I see about half the e-mail addresses listed as "private"? Is there a reason for not wanting anyone else to know what your e-mail address is? I'm sure everyone has their own reason(s). Anyone care to share what their reasons might be?

AngryJohnny

Re: E-Mail Addresses

Post#2 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:09 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:Why do I see about half the e-mail addresses listed as "private"? Is there a reason for not wanting anyone else to know what your e-mail address is? I'm sure everyone has their own reason(s). Anyone care to share what their reasons might be?
Usually to prevent Spam or Hate mail after kicking some ones butt all over the echo cluster. :twisted:

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

Post#3 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:39 pm

Hee hee hee....I figured as much...:) I've always published my e-mail address because I've gotten far more interesting, useful, and surprising e-mails from players than bothersome ones. I hate to think of some of the ones I would have missed out on. Hell, I've MET lots of players that way, formed alliances with them, found out about games I otherwise would never have known about.

I understand keeping e-mail addresses private, too though. I once had a 'disgruntled' forum participant sign my e-mail address up for over 1500 e-mail subscription services. Had to cancel that e-mail account and start another one, but the one I use now has been the only other one I've ever needed since then, so I think the good has far outweighed the bad.

Still, it's always interesting to hear other people's reasons.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: E-Mail Addresses

Post#4 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:Why do I see about half the e-mail addresses listed as "private"? Is there a reason for not wanting anyone else to know what your e-mail address is? I'm sure everyone has their own reason(s). Anyone care to share what their reasons might be?
It's best to keep things private from my experience. Keeps spam bot's from harvesting your email addresses.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#5 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:41 pm

If you don't want your email address public, then you should at least do like Enemy#1 suggested, at least join the forum. That way, someone contact you through Private Messages instead of in-game messages.

Oh btw, check for private message from time to time.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:13 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:If you don't want your email address public, then you should at least do like Enemy#1 suggested, at least join the forum. That way, someone contact you through Private Messages instead of in-game messages.

Oh btw, check for private message from time to time.
You can also send messages to players via the autotroll alias through the autotroll host accout. I've been looking for the documentation to post that for quite some time but have been unable to find it.

If anyone has it, I'd appreciate you sending me a copy to post.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#7 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:26 pm

I didn't know about this.

To forward a message, the player or cgi script must set the '$Game' variable and '$MailRace' variable. Only one $Game and one $MailRace should be used per message. The player who sent the message must be recognized by AutoTroll and be a player in the game!

Players can set a race number 1..11, or 0 to send the text to all players.

$MailRace: 0

This means the message will be sent to all players in the game.

$MailRace: 3

This sets the message to be sent to just the birdmen.

The text to be forwarded begins the line after the $MailRace: command. The text block will continue to the end of the message, or until a $End: keyword is reached. See the example below. Notice the tokens $MailRace and $End: must be on their own line.

$MailRace:11

I see your ship, you will die!

$End :

The outbound message will look something like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Red Troll <red>

Subject: Message from Evil Empire (Game #23 : Seek and Destroy)

©2002 Ben Stout
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#8 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:56 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:I didn't know about this.

To forward a message, the player or cgi script must set the '$Game' variable and '$MailRace' variable. Only one $Game and one $MailRace should be used per message. The player who sent the message must be recognized by AutoTroll and be a player in the game!

Players can set a race number 1..11, or 0 to send the text to all players.

$MailRace: 0

This means the message will be sent to all players in the game.

$MailRace: 3

This sets the message to be sent to just the birdmen.

The text to be forwarded begins the line after the $MailRace: command. The text block will continue to the end of the message, or until a $End: keyword is reached. See the example below. Notice the tokens $MailRace and $End: must be on their own line.

$MailRace:11

$End :

The outbound message will look something like this:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: Red Troll <red>

Subject: Message from Evil Empire (Game #23 : Seek and Destroy)

©2002 Ben Stout

That's what I'm talking about. Where did you find it Cherek?
Regards,
][avok

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

Post#9 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:06 pm

I just GOTTA try that... 8) Any players in here from Lurkers 2.... incoming message from Mad Jack...hehehehe.

You will be assimilated....

Mad Jack out.

Cherek

Post#10 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:09 pm

In the AutoTroll docs. \:D/

I opened Autotroll.hlp file, use the "Find" feature and typed in "message" and selected Forwarding messages.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#11 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:27 pm

I actually found that while looking for an answer to another question about broadcast messages.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#12 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:28 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:In the AutoTroll docs. \:D/

I opened Autotroll.hlp file, use the "Find" feature and typed in "message" and selected Forwarding messages.
I haven't found it in the docs. I noticed at the bottom of what you posted thought it said (c) 2002. Mine are earlier.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#13 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:42 pm

Havok wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:In the AutoTroll docs. \:D/

I haven't found it in the docs. I noticed at the bottom of what you posted thought it said (c) 2002. Mine are earlier.
AutoTroll version 1.51 (release 1 build 1479)
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#14 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote: Oh btw, check for private message from time to time.
If I remember correctly I have been notified by email when a PM has been posted to me...just FYI

The forums are an excellent means for chatter. I get a kick outta reading stuff I am not even involved in.

Catman

Cherek

Post#15 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:47 pm

I also found it in the same place in AutoTroll version 1.52 (Release 0 build 1490).
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”