E-Mail Addresses

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Post#31 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:24 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:Would either of those two players be willing to temporarily allow their EMail address visible to see if they receive Broadcast Messages?

I'm thinking that the problem may lay in the template for the message generated when a new player has joined a game that is already running. I can't download AT here and it isn't on my Jump Drive, so I'll look at it some more when I get home.

Methinks your suspicions are correct. For sure, whatever is happening is happening because AutoTroll has been told to do exactly what it's doing. Finding out exactly where that is occurring is most likely in a template somewhere.
I was going to talk to Havok about doing that the next time we have the same days off. We just have to figure out what game he can join after I have switch my address from public to private.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#32 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:52 pm

Throwing a wrench in the works...
I just rec'd this:

For Wing Commander 2:

Cholly has joined to take over the Cyborg race.

Race AutoScore E-Mail
------------------- ----- ---------------------------

(4 ) Fascist 19.5% <PRIVATE>
(9 ) Robot 17.6% <dnorval>
(2 ) Lizard 14.8% <joeski34>
(11) Colonial 14.1% <matthias>
(6 ) Cyborg 10.1% <cholly>
(10) Rebel 8.44% <paliberti>
(1 ) Federation 6.42% OPEN
(3 ) Birdmen 5.11% OPEN
(7 ) Crystalline 2.61% <PRIVATE>
(8 ) Evil Empire 1.12% OPEN
(5 ) Privateer % <>

Weird... Cherek you switched yours to private, somebody just
joined (Cholly) and this is the first time I've seen such an email.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#33 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:20 pm

B A N E wrote:Throwing a wrench in the works...
I just rec'd this:

For Wing Commander 2:

Cholly has joined to take over the Cyborg race.

Race AutoScore E-Mail
------------------- ----- ---------------------------

(4 ) Fascist 19.5% <PRIVATE>
(9 ) Robot 17.6% <dnorval>
(2 ) Lizard 14.8% <joeski34>
(11) Colonial 14.1% <matthias>
(6 ) Cyborg 10.1% <cholly>
(10) Rebel 8.44% <paliberti>
(1 ) Federation 6.42% OPEN
(3 ) Birdmen 5.11% OPEN
(7 ) Crystalline 2.61% <PRIVATE>
(8 ) Evil Empire 1.12% OPEN
(5 ) Privateer % <>

Weird... Cherek you switched yours to private, somebody just
joined (Cholly) and this is the first time I've seen such an email.
Cholly was me. I created an account, opened the game and joined with that account to see what would be generated. I got the same message as well.

So we've determined that having it Private or Open on the email that the people in the game should receive the message when someone joins.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#34 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:58 am

So it would appear the reason Gavan and BANE haven't been receiving the new player notification (BANE for some strange reason received this one) is that somewhere between C-M and themselves, the messages are being blocked/filtered.

Oh well, that was about a day spent going through AT docs and browsing the Internet. I have learned some more about AT. :hurryup:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#35 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 am

:hurryup:
I love that one, I have a house with 3 girls in it. That emoticon is PERFECT
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

Post#36 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:18 pm

Cherek & ][avok & Cholly too....

You guys make g-r-e-a-t troubleshooters. Be sure to let the rest of us know where you found the flag that was preventing some players from receiving those Broadcast Messages...

I spent about 1/2 a day trying to find the flag and couldn't find anywhere that might suggest why a player would not receive messages with $BroadCastMsgs set to YES.

BTW - Just out of curiosity. These two players...or Cholly. What do they have $NewGameMsgs and/or $HostWarning set to?

B A N E

Post#37 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:58 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:So it would appear the reason Gavan and BANE haven't been receiving the new player notification (BANE for some strange reason received this one) is that somewhere between C-M and themselves, the messages are being blocked/filtered.

Oh well, that was about a day spent going through AT docs and browsing the Internet. I have learned some more about AT. :hurryup:
I don't normally get the notification at either my main or my shadow.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#38 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:23 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:Cherek & ][avok & Cholly too....

You guys make g-r-e-a-t troubleshooters. Be sure to let the rest of us know where you found the flag that was preventing some players from receiving those Broadcast Messages...
From our test, it would appear that the messages are being sent. Since they are being sent, the messages are being filtered out or blocked after it leaves C-M. I would guess that it would be blocked or filtered at their ISP or their computers.
Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:I spent about 1/2 a day trying to find the flag and couldn't find anywhere that might suggest why a player would not receive messages with $BroadCastMsgs set to YES.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't understand all the ins and outs about programming. I looked at the template for the new player joining the game (I still don't have AT on my Jump Drive so I can't tell you the file name or the line that I had a question about) but there is a line in the template where AT is cycling through the game players and it asking for the player aliases and then email address. I was thinking that when the subroutine in AT interpreted the “get player email address” and the subroutine saw the “hide email address” flag, then it would skip the address and not sent out the notice. But that doesn’t seem to be the case, since it would appear that the message does go out.
Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:BTW - Just out of curiosity. These two players...or Cholly. What do they have $NewGameMsgs and/or $HostWarning set to?
Everything is set to YES on the Players page. I'm not sure want Cholly was set to.

Before I forget it, I guess I better un<PRIVATE> my email address.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

Post#39 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:16 pm

This is w-a-y off topic, but what is the significance of the 'IRJTN' I see after names I see in the C-M players list.

There are several of you. Do you all belong to some sort of Skull & Bones society or something?? :) There's yet another one of you in the Aliens Infestation IV game.

Cherek

Post#40 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:19 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:This is w-a-y off topic, but what is the significance of the 'IRJTN' I see after names I see in the C-M players list.

There are several of you. Do you all belong to some sort of Skull & Bones society or something?? :) There's yet another one of you in the Aliens Infestation IV game.
:D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Post#41 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:50 pm

Mad Jack Ffoulkes wrote:This is w-a-y off topic, but what is the significance of the 'IRJTN' I see after names I see in the C-M players list.

They're some kind of team. IRJTN is short for Imperial Royal Japanese Tennessee Navy.
Regards,
][avok

Mad Jack Ffoulkes

Post#42 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:13 pm

This is w-a-y off topic, but what is the significance of the 'IRJTN' I see.....
IRJTN is short for Imperial Royal Japanese Tennessee Navy
It sounds like the origins of THAT would be an interesting story, but I don't supposed Cherek is going to enlighten us..?? I didn't know Arkansas even HAD a Navy. Who knows where Lord Admiral Static is from. Probably not from Tennessee, though. And neither the Imperial Royal Navy nor the Japanese Navy has Commodores. Go figure. The Imperial Royal Air Force uses the Commodore rank, though.

Only in VGA Planets do you run into these kinds of stories... :lol:

Shardin5

Post#43 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 7:41 pm

Havok wrote:

They're some kind of team. IRJTN is short for Imperial Royal Japanese Tennessee Navy.
Oh man, you had to give them an excuse. :static:
:puke:
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

B A N E

Post#44 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 pm

I think the Weebles...err, I mean Tabu should challenge the IRJTN.

:buttkick:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#45 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 9:31 pm

B A N E wrote:I think the Weebles...err, I mean Tabu should challenge the IRJTN.

Could be a good warm up... :stirthepot:
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Intel”