Gravity Well Question

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

AngryJohnny

Gravity Well Question

Post#1 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:41 pm

I had a ship in orbit around an enemy planet & figured that they would be trying to intercept. So I set my warp speed to 1 & waypoint to 1 ly away from the planet. They enemy had a ship within 60 ly of my ship. I figured that would be the one to intercept - & it was. I was hoping (& really thought) that because he was coming in @ warp 9 to intercept he would get stuck in the gravity well & sucked into orbit while I was safely within the gravity well. What actually happen was that my ship became tiny bits of space dust after he successfully intercepted & pounded my ship to bits. (at least it didn't get captured though) :cry:

Where did I error in my failed plan? Apparently I have a serious miss understanding of "hiding" in the gravity well & do not want to make the same mistake again. Thanks!

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

Ogie

Post#2 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:57 pm

Possibilities that come to mind:

1) You screwed up and set the warp setting to more than Warp 1. I've certainly made this mistake before.

2) There was another ship orbiting the planet with yours. It towed your ship at more than Warp 1 into the well which sucked it back to the planet. In effect it kept the ship from leaving the planet. It could have been a cloaked ship that you didn't know was there.

Ogie

AngryJohnny

Post#3 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:01 pm

I'm sure I set the warp to 1 - it was something I checked & double checked before submitting my turn. I didn't want to lose the ship. There were other ships in orbit around the planet. I didn't think of the posibility of being towed so that I didn't move.

So now the question is if I wasn't being towed, or there were no other ships in orbit, should this have worked?

-- Angry Johnny

Ogie

Post#4 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Yes it would have worked. But knowing there were other 2 engine ships in orbit then to avoid that battle you were faced with the choice of:

1) If you have the lowest ID ship of those with 2 engines, tow another ship at that location at Warp 1 into the warp well to avoid any tow locks on your ship.

2) Set a waypoint >81 LY to break any tow locks and leave the whole vicinity. If there's a gravitronic ship involved this won't work as you can't break its tow lock.

Ogie

hennef

Post#5 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:18 pm

did anyone mention a ship intercepting you with warp 1?
have fun!

hennef

Death's Head

Post#6 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:32 pm

Seems to me the mistake was made by setting your mission to Intercept the incoming ship. It went to the planet as you expected but your ship was set to intercept it and also ended up on the planet instead of in the gravity well as you wanted. Next time pick a planet to lock onto for your waypoint and not the incoming ship you are trying to avoid. :wink:
Death's Head (Your Worst Nightmare)

hennef

Post#7 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:37 pm

i did not read him intercept the enemy but vice versa. was it really the 60ly ship that killed yours? and where took the battle place? over the planet or in the warp-well?
have fun!

hennef

Shardin5

Post#8 » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:21 pm

what Client do you use, to double check the x,y of the battle make sure it happened in the warp well. I can't see how a ships at warp 9, could get you in the warp well, it just doesn't happen.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

AngryJohnny

Post#9 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:19 am

Death's Head wrote:Seems to me the mistake was made by setting your mission to Intercept the incoming ship. It went to the planet as you expected but your ship was set to intercept it and also ended up on the planet instead of in the gravity well as you wanted. Next time pick a planet to lock onto for your waypoint and not the incoming ship you are trying to avoid. :wink:
I didn't - I set my mission to mine sweep w/no PE set & set a way point 1 ly away from the planet I was orbiting & set my speed to warp 1. My ship was the one being intercepted @ warp 9 by the enemy ship which was about 60 ly away.

-- Angry Johnny

AngryJohnny

Post#10 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:23 am

hennef wrote:i did not read him intercept the enemy but vice versa. was it really the 60ly ship that killed yours? and where took the battle place? over the planet or in the warp-well?
Yes the ship that was about 60 ly away was the one to wax my ship. From the explosion I believe the battle took place over the planet but I'm not 100% sure. There is always the posibilty that I did travel the 1ly away, he intercepted, killed me & then got sucked into orbit by the gravity well, but I didn't think that would happen. The ship that intercepted me is not 1ly from the planet but in orbit around the planet as it is not showing in deep space.

-- Angry Johnny

AngryJohnny

Post#11 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:26 am

Enemy#1 wrote:what Client do you use, to double check the x,y of the battle make sure it happened in the warp well. I can't see how a ships at warp 9, could get you in the warp well, it just doesn't happen.
That's what I thought & why I'm so confused, I'm not crying foul or anything, I'm sure there is a way this could occur, I'm just not sure how... I use WinPlan 3.52.025 & EchoView

I did just double check the battle did take place over the planet. Which I'm confused about, because I did set my ship to move 1ly @ warp 1. So I guess one of the other ships in orbit must have set to tow my ship @ warp greater than 1 w/no waypoint so that I didn't move? I'm not sure... Honestly, I hadn't thought of the posibilty of being towed.. I think I am going to run a SIM & see what happens...

-- Angry Johnny

AngryJohnny

Post#12 » Fri Dec 01, 2006 1:06 am

Ok, I just ran 2 Sim.

1st SIM - My ship # 348 orbit around enemy planet. 1 enemy ship # 33 also in orbit- No mission set, no waypoint & No PE set. I set the waypoint 1 ly away from planet & warp 1 mission minesweep & PE none for ship # 348. Enemy ship # 143 w/PE set & 61.25 ly away set to intercept @ warp 9 my ship # 348.

Result: My ship #348 safely traveled 1 ly from enemy planet. Enemy ship # 143 in orbit around planet after being sucked in by gravity well.

2nd SIM - My ship # 348 orbit around enemy planet. 1 enemy ship # 33 also in orbit- Mission set to tow ship # 348 @ warp 9 w/no waypoint. I set the waypoint 1 ly away from planet & warp 1 mission minesweep & PE none for ship # 348. Enemy ship # 143 w/PE set & 61.25 ly way set to intercept @ warp 9 my ship # 348.

Result: My ship # 348 did not move away from the planet & was intercepted & killed by ship # 143. Battle took place over the planet & not in gravity well.

I guess what happened to me in the game was the same as result # 2. So lesson I learned - DONT FORGET ABOUT BEING TOWED!! Thanks for the imput - I wouldn't have thought about the fact that one of the other ships would possibly be towing my ship so I didn't leave the planet.

-- Angry Johnny

Return to “Intel”