Web Mine question....

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

AngryJohnny

Web Mine question....

Post#1 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:09 pm

If I send a HYP ship to a planet that happens to have a web mine around it will I hit a mine upon entering the field & lose fuel? I expect the next turn I'll lose fuel (50kt right?) not allowing me to HYP out of the field. I'm just not sure if I will hit a mine & lose fuel entering from HYP.

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Web Mine question....

Post#2 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:47 pm

AngryJohnny wrote:If I send a HYP ship to a planet that happens to have a web mine around it will I hit a mine upon entering the field & lose fuel? I expect the next turn I'll lose fuel (50kt right?) not allowing me to HYP out of the field. I'm just not sure if I will hit a mine & lose fuel entering from HYP.
You probably won't hit a mine, but since you're in the field, you'll be loosing fuel on the next turn.
Regards,
][avok

Desert-Fox

Post#3 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Havok wrote:
AngryJohnny wrote:If I send a HYP ship to a planet that happens to have a web mine around it will I hit a mine upon entering the field & lose fuel? I expect the next turn I'll lose fuel (50kt right?) not allowing me to HYP out of the field. I'm just not sure if I will hit a mine & lose fuel entering from HYP.
You probably won't hit a mine, but since you're in the field, you'll be loosing fuel on the next turn.
To my knowledge you're immune during the jump, but you will get drained the next turn...i think you're right 50k or its a percentage of what you have left.

DF
Suck it up, Cupcake!

Samuelt86

Post#4 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:04 pm

Unless you are in a Unity game and doing the super HYP, your HYP will occur after the web drain. So you will not be drained in the turn you HYP'd in. Nor will you you hit a mine as you did not travel in the conventional way.

You are correct, you will be drained 25kt per web every turn there after including the turn you HYP out (providing you have the requisite fuel).

Shardin5

Post#5 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:33 am

50kt's??? MAN DO I WISH, but you will only lose 25kt's per web, the turn after you arrive
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

B A N E

Post#6 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:07 am

web drain:
25 kt per turn per web.

web hit drain:
50kt or 1/6 of fuel, whichever is greater.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

AngryJohnny

Post#7 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:42 pm

Got it thanks. That's what I was hoping for plus bonus that the fuel drained is less than what I thought it was.

-- Angry Johnny

"If you wish to make the gods laugh, tell them your plans"

scooby dood

Post#8 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 3:47 pm

Good to know since I am playing Crystal
Ken

Active games:
Arrow of Apollo race 8
Cluster Discovery 80 race 7 @ http://rcworld.de/
Maelstrom race 3

Carlos Weyland

webdrain

Post#9 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:45 pm

It was my understanding, admittedly 4 years ago, that the HYP ship can hit a web mine or regular mine as it leaves up to 20 light years because it travels 20 light years before the HYP kicks in to shoot it 350 years; during that time it is vulnerable to mines. Has that been changed? If so does that mean HYP is instantaneous upon moving?
Under HOST 3.20 If the player sets a waypoint using winplan to any point that is between 340LY and 360LY the ship will jump to this exact point in space. When a ship performs one of these exact jumps, gravity wells will not affect it.
(Note: PLANETS.EXE can not do exact jumps)

To use the hyperdrive set the ship's waypoint to a point farther then 20 light years and set the friendly code to "HYP". The ship will jump about 350 light-years and burn 50 units of fuel. The ship will come out of hyperspace at speed zero and with no waypoint set. Ships in hyperspace avoid all minefields. The hyperdrive can not be used to escape a tow. This will not work if the ship is on an intercept mission. Hyperjump ships can not tow another during a hyper jump.

The ship must have its speed set to warp 1 or faster for the jump to take place.
I went out to the maunual and found this. It is oudated bt wanted to know if this sounds correct
One man in the right place, at the right time, can change anything...even a war.

B A N E

Post#10 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 5:51 pm

There is no chance to hit a web while HYPing.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Carlos Weyland

Post#11 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:00 pm

There is no chance to hit a web while HYPing.
Yes I understand that, but the point I was asking about was when HYP occurs. About four years ago I tested several HYP web mine scenarios and a HYP ship did hit a web mine on a HYP mission with way point set 350 LYS, friendly code HYP, and 120 tons of fuel. It was leaving a Web Mine field and hit a web mine 15 LYs into the jump from its start point. It was explained to me at the time that the HYP jump does not actually start until after the ship has traveled 20 LYs.
Also noted that during my tests at least on three occasions the ship landed on a Web Mine and hit it.

Sorry for the misunderstanding BANE.
One man in the right place, at the right time, can change anything...even a war.

B A N E

Post#12 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:19 pm

Exactly 350 LY or using a HYP calc with a short waypoint?
What warp speed?

Foggy memories.
I've been doing this so long as I've said elsewhere, I've forgotten tons.

I suspect that's the reason I almost always HYP at warp 1.
Long ago, I seem to recall HYP jumps burning more than 50 fuel if
using higher warps and sub 340 LY waypoints.

I suspect it is a vestigial/habit/tactic that I've forgotten all the reasons
for why we implemented it. I also wouldn't be surprised if it is another
cripple of dosplan.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#13 » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:22 pm

The only thing I remember about HYPing and 20lys is:

A friendly code of "HYP" will cause a hyperdrive equipped starship to initiate hyper jump if it has a warp setting (1 or higher), a waypoint beyond 20 light years and at least 50 units of fuel. If a ship set to hyperjump does not have enough fuel to perform a hyperjump, it will move normally.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

scooby dood

Post#14 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:50 pm

So, in other words, HYPing at warp 1 is the smartest thing to do?
Ken

Active games:
Arrow of Apollo race 8
Cluster Discovery 80 race 7 @ http://rcworld.de/
Maelstrom race 3

Shardin5

Post#15 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:07 pm

scooby dood wrote:So, in other words, HYPing at warp 1 is the smartest thing to do?
Most of the time yes, but there are times were you are trying to HYP into the warpwell so you can jump less than 340lyrs or more than 360lyrs, so you want more than warp 1 so you will land on the planet instead, of out in the open
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Return to “Intel”