C- Player Variant

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Proteus

C- Player Variant

Post#1 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:28 am

There are a lot tasks which are mundane and there are programs to make them automatic so that the turn can be finished more rapidly.

eg randgen/randmax, etc for planetary functions.

Does anyone know if there is a c-player that can be adapted to do your turn, then you make manual adjustments prior to sending in the trn?

I'm looking for something that will enable a race with probes (eg Borg) to colonise rapidly. eg build a lot of B200's (50+) and have them jump, drop colonists/supplies, beam up fuel and continue jumping to another planet within HYP range.

Sysop
Site Admin

Re: C- Player Variant

Post#2 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 9:38 am

Proteus wrote:There are a lot tasks which are mundane and there are programs to make them automatic so that the turn can be finished more rapidly.

eg randgen/randmax, etc for planetary functions.

Does anyone know if there is a c-player that can be adapted to do your turn, then you make manual adjustments prior to sending in the trn?

I'm looking for something that will enable a race with probes (eg Borg) to colonise rapidly. eg build a lot of B200's (50+) and have them jump, drop colonists/supplies, beam up fuel and continue jumping to another planet within HYP range.
I don't think there's anything like that out there Proteus. The AI in the current crop of CPlayer's is limited. And Spacelord is the only CPlayer that actually uses the RST file info to play honestly. All the others cheat, add resources to ships out of the blue..etc...
Best Regards,

Joe

Proteus

Post#3 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 10:09 am

A couple of years ago (?) I spoke with the author of Spacelord but he wasn't interested in making a variant of the program that could be used in manner I have described.

I was curious if anyone had seen or heard of some adhoc program that could be used.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#4 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:25 pm

Proteus wrote:A couple of years ago (?) I spoke with the author of Spacelord but he wasn't interested in making a variant of the program that could be used in manner I have described.

I was curious if anyone had seen or heard of some adhoc program that could be used.
Maybe you could get the source of one of those programs and do it yourself.

"The CPlayer automated settler" - works best with cyborg, batteries not included.
Best Regards,

Joe

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#5 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:41 pm

Proteus wrote:A couple of years ago (?) I spoke with the author of Spacelord but he wasn't interested in making a variant of the program that could be used in manner I have described.

I was just thinking about your idea and might have another solution for ya. Try writing Kenneth Strom over at The War Room

http://members.tripod.com/TheWarRoom/

He makes the Admiral player and might be coaxed into doing something like that for ya.
Best Regards,

Joe

Proteus

Post#6 » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:32 pm

Thanks ... I will try him.

Gil

Proteus

Post#7 » Mon Sep 12, 2005 9:04 am

He knows how it could be done, but isn't interested.

Do you know anyone else?

Proteus

Post#8 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:40 am

Route Planner by Lars Dam is similar to Randmax but is for ships and appears to have the ability to work with HYP ships. It is now freeware.

Also overseer looks like another similar utilty.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#9 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:14 am

Proteus wrote:Route Planner by Lars Dam is similar to Randmax but is for ships and appears to have the ability to work with HYP ships. It is now freeware.

Also overseer looks like another similar utilty.
Ok, but they're not computer players... Will either do what you want automaticlly?
Best Regards,

Joe

Proteus

Post#10 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:28 pm

No ... not really. But it may be a start. If I can understand the limitations of what route planner is working with, then I may be able to express my ideas a little better to someone who already has a program out there that can be adapted.

Years ago, when I was writing the Battle Manual several of us knew how we wanted the HYP ships to jump but we didn't have the skills or mathamatical understanding to make a simple HYP utility. Today, VPA makes a jump between 338 to 362 lt years effortless.

The strategy I used in No Frills III was one I thought about on Lord FireFall's site, tried a variation on Merlyn's and have thought about since then. It is specific to the Borg, but also works for the Rebels and any race that can clone HYP ships.

The only trouble is, there are so many ships/planets/starbases that it becomes a bit of a logistical nightmare. That is why a utility to move HYP ships would ease the workload.

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#11 » Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Proteus wrote:No ... not really. But it may be a start. If I can understand the limitations of what route planner is working with, then I may be able to express my ideas a little better to someone who already has a program out there that can be adapted.

Years ago, when I was writing the Battle Manual several of us knew how we wanted the HYP ships to jump but we didn't have the skills or mathamatical understanding to make a simple HYP utility. Today, VPA makes a jump between 338 to 362 lt years effortless.

The strategy I used in No Frills III was one I thought about on Lord FireFall's site, tried a variation on Merlyn's and have thought about since then. It is specific to the Borg, but also works for the Rebels and any race that can clone HYP ships.

The only trouble is, there are so many ships/planets/starbases that it becomes a bit of a logistical nightmare. That is why a utility to move HYP ships would ease the workload.

An automated plotter that could move your ship around without it being seen... planet to planet... 350 ly at a time :)
Best Regards,

Joe

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#12 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:59 am

Using PCC makes it quite easy. I draw two circles around the planet the HYP ship is currently at: one at 340LY, and one at 360LY. Then draw two circles at the same distance around the destination planet. Where they overlap is the first jump target. Simple, no?

Anything farther than two jumps is going to have a lot of possibilities. I don't try to plan much farther than two.

Cherek

Post#13 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:05 am

So no one uses the automatic waypoint feature in WinPlan to set a ship waypoints and missions?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Post#14 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:02 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:So no one uses the automatic waypoint feature in WinPlan to set a ship waypoints and missions?
When I started playing there was no Winplan. There was some talk about it, but nothing was started yet. I still use the DOS version. Well, really, I use PCC. ...and echoview for info on how many cols are required for growth. That's the only limitation I've found to PCC. It doesn't tell me how many clans I need to put on a planet for growth to occur. OK, it doesn't do minefield simulations either, but I haven't found anything else that will let me pick a point on the map, tell it how many torps I've got and what kind, and have it show me the size fo the minefield I'll get. Not a big deal since I can do the math and draw a circle on the map in PCC...

But anyway...

What does this automatic waypoint feature do, exactly?

Proteus

Post#15 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:39 am

I just went to the web site that has PCC.

Zaphod, is it easy to plan and move the hyp ships using pcc?

Also have you written any scripts for use with pcc?

re: winplan

I used to use the original vgap dos version with VPA, but it's limitation was the number of ships it could identify. So I purchased winplan, but still only use VPA, randgen/randmax and feval. Using the zoom feature allows me to easily see and move my ships within the warp wells. The HYP feature is easy as well.

Return to “Intel”