Why didn't my carrier fight?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Julius Atreides

Why didn't my carrier fight?

Post#1 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:02 am

Likely this is something simple I am overlooking but at this time I'm drawing a blank. Here is the situation.

I'm playing Romulans (SFB scenario) and sitting over a world with many ships, including my big torpedo warship. I have my ships set to bum after I learned that the starbase will not beam/transfer its fighters hehe.

Anyways, planet sacrifices 10 DP to declaok me. Not a big deal and somewhat expected. But what surprised me was that my Dreadnuaght fought before my carrier that came in.

Carrier has lower ID, set to KILL with Kzin primary enemy. Dreadnaught was superspying with the others. Both Dreadnaught and carrier had FC of bum.

Why didn't my carrier fight first as I expected? Did the FC keep it from fighting the planet (with starbase)?

The dreadnaught wasnt a huge loss but it was an unexpected one when my carrier I thought should have fought first and destroyed the base.

Even more, after the dreadnaught fought... nothing else there fought.. including my carrier which was set to KILL.

Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Julius Atreides

Post#2 » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:11 pm

Alright... talking it over with a friend this is what we come up with...

The dreadnaught must have been the ship actually successful at changing the FC (or triggereed the ion burst) therefore the planet attacked it regardless of FC.

The other ships in orbit had the same FC and settings as the Dreadnaught but did not fight becuase they were not targeted as the successful superspiers.

The incoming carrier with Primary enemy set and with KILL mission did not fight either due to matching FC.

It's the only thing we could come up with that made sense.

Julius Atreides

Post#3 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:59 am

Does this mean what we figured was right?

Ogie

Post#4 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:25 pm

I'm not clear completely on what happened. A couple points though that may help:

The Friendly Code had to change before movement so it couldn't have been the carrier that changed it if it was moving to the planet that turn. But I'm confused by your post whether these ships were set to KILL or SUPERSPY.

The Ion Pulse doesn't affect whether anyone attacks other than the fact that it decloaks.

If the ships were matched FCs on 'bum' no combat should have occurred with the planet regardless of anything else. I think something must be being overlooked here.

I'd guess the ships at the planet were fuelless and hence didn't fight. Its possible they were matched on FC 'bum' but that seems unlikely.

Ogie

Ogie

Post#5 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:27 pm

Well I guess you must have had other ships at the planet that changed the Friendly Code to 'bum'. If the Dreadnought started the turn at the planet you took a risk that it could have been Force Surrendered depending on whether it was set to SuperSpy or Kill.

My first instinct is that the Dreadnaught wasn't set to 'bum'. Did you double-check this?

Julius Atreides

Post#6 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:58 pm

Thanks for the feedback Ogie.

I went back and checked stuff again.. I thought I had checked it all. And I now have a simple answer. I was wrong about my settings on the Dreadnaught.

Apparently, it was Cloaked and not Superspy, and it had PE set to Kzin as well, instead of NONE.

I feel much better now that I understand what happened.

Thanks for cuasing me to take one more look Ogie.

Julius Atreides

Post#7 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 pm

I went back and checked stuff again.. I thought I had checked it all. And I now have a simple answer. I was wrong about my settings on the Dreadnaught.

Apparently, it was Cloaked and not Superspy, and it had PE set to Kzin as well, instead of NONE.

Julius Atreides

Post#8 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:59 pm

Return to “Intel”