Priv vs a cloaking race

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gavan

Priv vs a cloaking race

Post#1 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:43 am

So how does the Priv steal ships from a race that cloaks?

Say the Priv have to fight the birdmen, how do they go about stealing a darkwing and such?
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

VilleK

Re: Priv vs a cloaking race

Post#2 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:12 am

Gavan wrote:So how does the Priv steal ships from a race that cloaks?

Say the Priv have to fight the birdmen, how do they go about stealing a darkwing and such?
In brief:

a)Wait until it decloaks. If it doesn't - tough luck ;) Use minefields whatever to get ships sweeping/damaged -> decloak.

b)Rob ship while cloacked. But never play on a host that allows cloacked ships to be robbed and I doubt this host is no exception - so ignore plan b) :D

Stick with plan a.

Julius Atreides

Post#3 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:01 am

Yep, like he said... you do it the hardway.

I used to say that Rob Cloaked ships was a game breaker but I'm not so sure now. Of course, without changes to other settings it is 100% a game breaker.

But with a much increased Rob Failure ... say 20%, It might make for an interesting change while maintaining game balance.

It would allow robbing cloakers of course.. but there would be significant risk for failure. If the ships failed it could lead to devestation of the robber fleet.

Pirates would have to have even bigger wolfpacks to make success more likely.

Many settings I think can be changed in ways that folks tend to think are game breaking, and as long as counter balance changes are made things could be fresh, interesting, and yet balanced.

VilleK

Post#4 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:41 am

Julius Atreides wrote:Yep, like he said... you do it the hardway.

I used to say that Rob Cloaked ships was a game breaker but I'm not so sure now. Of course, without changes to other settings it is 100% a game breaker.

But with a much increased Rob Failure ... say 20%, It might make for an interesting change while maintaining game balance.

It would allow robbing cloakers of course.. but there would be significant risk for failure. If the ships failed it could lead to devestation of the robber fleet.

Many settings I think can be changed in ways that folks tend to think are game breaking, and as long as counter balance changes are made things could be fresh, interesting, and yet balanced.
Yep might, but no 'sane' privateer robs and stays in the same coordinates so the risk is really minimal even if the rob fails.

Anyway, you cannot tow the cloaker before its decloaked plus you'll have to rob by your guts or wait some Darkwing/Resolute comes and conquers your planet/freighter/whatever - does the cloaked attack - and you know its there.

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Priv vs a cloaking race

Post#5 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:53 am

Gavan wrote:So how does the Priv steal ships from a race that cloaks?

The most imporant thing you'll learn playing the Privateer's is patience. You have to learn to be everywhere, and prepared to strike at a moments notice.

It can be done :)
Regards,
][avok

Mika

Post#6 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:38 pm

Julius Atreides wrote: But with a much increased Rob Failure ... say 20%, It might make for an interesting change while maintaining game balance.

I doubt that this would balance the game. Sure it makes robbing cloaked races possible but the other problem is that the Privateers will always lack firepower. With 20% rob failure you will have a hard time to get your hands on a Virgo/Golem/Gorbie/Biocide/Rush

Feds and Lizards will still shoot you into pieces. Last but not least fighting against a well prepared race is still a problem with the Privateers. If you see almost your whole territory full with enemy minefields and big fleets striking without clear waypoint you can not react fast enough. Sure, the enemy will always lose a ship whenever he attacks an important planet but the question is if you can steal more ships than you have bases.

May be worth a try but it doesn't make life so easy at all.
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:27 pm

Mika wrote:
Julius Atreides wrote: But with a much increased Rob Failure ... say 20%, It might make for an interesting change while maintaining game balance.

I doubt that this would balance the game. Sure it makes robbing cloaked races possible but the other problem is that the Privateers will always lack firepower. With 20% rob failure you will have a hard time to get your hands on a Virgo/Golem/Gorbie/Biocide/Rush

Feds and Lizards will still shoot you into pieces. Last but not least fighting against a well prepared race is still a problem with the Privateers. If you see almost your whole territory full with enemy minefields and big fleets striking without clear waypoint you can not react fast enough. Sure, the enemy will always lose a ship whenever he attacks an important planet but the question is if you can steal more ships than you have bases.

I agree with Mika. The Privateer's have been significantly weakened throughout the years as it is. Remember, they rely solely on their robbing abilities to make it in this game and they can't clone either. Dropping the rob % is the wrong answer.

Playing the privateer's well requires guile, cunning, patience, being jobless, etc... And you're not going to learn to play the Privateer's in 1 or 2 games. In fact, after 5 games you won't know how to play them.

But if you have the time to devote to that race, it can be a very rewarding experience to play them.
Last edited by Havok on Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
][avok

VilleK

Post#8 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:33 pm

Havok wrote:
Mika wrote:

I agree with Mika. The Privateer's have been significantly weakened through out the years as it is. Remember, they can't clone either and solely rely on their robbing abilities to make it in this game. Dropping the rob % is the wrong answer.

Playing the privateer's well requires guile, cunning, patience, being jobless, etc... And you're not going to learn to play the Privateer's in 1 or 2 games. In fact, after 5 games you won't know how to play them.

But if you have the time to devote to that race, it can be a very rewarding experience to play them.
Just read a book about German U-boat strategy and you'll do fine ;)

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:51 pm

VilleK wrote:
Havok wrote:
Mika wrote: I doubt that this would balance the game. Sure it makes robbing cloaked races possible but the other problem is that the Privateers will always lack firepower. With 20% rob failure you will have a hard time to get your hands on a Virgo/Golem/Gorbie/Biocide/Rush

I agree with Mika. The Privateer's have been significantly weakened through out the years as it is. Remember, they can't clone either and solely rely on their robbing abilities to make it in this game. Dropping the rob % is the wrong answer.

Just read a book about German U-boat strategy and you'll do fine ;)
:D Excellent point!
Regards,
][avok

Shardin5

Post#10 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:00 pm

If you are looking at Balancing the game, why not use PHOST and allow the Pirate to clone, at 300-400 percent. Taking away functions wont work, as there are just TO many Anit-Pirate tricks. Once the Pirate has announced himself with a Rob, there are only a couple of Races that have to worry, most have good counter measures. Those that don't have counter measures, still all the tricks available to them.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Mika

Post#11 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:17 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:If you are looking at Balancing the game, why not use PHOST and allow the Pirate to clone, at 300-400 percent. Taking away functions wont work, as there are just TO many Anit-Pirate tricks. Once the Pirate has announced himself with a Rob, there are only a couple of Races that have to worry, most have good counter measures. Those that don't have counter measures, still all the tricks available to them.
Phost... Phost... Phost...
I start thinking about someone having a Phost fetish.

btw... you can call me enemy#1 of Phost if you want ;)
Oderint dum metuant.

Shardin5

Post#12 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:37 pm

So what do you have against PHOST?
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#13 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:38 pm

Mika wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:If you are looking at Balancing the game, why not use PHOST and allow the Pirate to clone, at 300-400 percent. Taking away functions wont work, as there are just TO many Anit-Pirate tricks. Once the Pirate has announced himself with a Rob, there are only a couple of Races that have to worry, most have good counter measures. Those that don't have counter measures, still all the tricks available to them.
Phost... Phost... Phost...
I start thinking about someone having a Phost fetish.

btw... you can call me enemy#1 of Phost if you want ;)
He isn't the only one.
Those who can play PHost will play PHost, those who can't, well .....
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#14 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:40 pm

Enemy#1 wrote:So what do you have against PHOST?
He can't play it. :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Mika

Post#15 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:52 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Enemy#1 wrote:So what do you have against PHOST?
He can't play it. :roll:
well... I could point out the strange towing rules (not hard to understand but just annoying) but I rather rely on that "man shouldn't manipulate the work of the creator" thing ;)

TIMhost is holy! sanctus, sanctus, sanctus [-o< [-o< [-o<

that answer is also the better one when it comes to "avoiding a phost vs timhost" discussion.
Oderint dum metuant.

Return to “Intel”