Looking for good Battlesim.

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

the.Ant

Looking for good Battlesim.

Post#1 » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:38 am

Does anyone know a decent tool to simulate battles?

It should be accurate, allow multipe ship-combat, optional
race-advantages and engine-shield bonus and calculate rightside/leftside.

I would prefer a java-tool. DOS/Windows only if it's simple to install.
I used to use Tanascius, which is rather good, however, it's only installable with a studid .msi installer, which I can't get to run with wine.
If i just copy the program-files, it does not work, because it relies on some registry-modifications or whatever...

Any hints?

planetmaker

Re: Looking for good Battlesim.

Post#2 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:25 am

the.Ant wrote:Does anyone know a decent tool to simulate battles?

I used to use Tanascius, which is rather good, however, it's only installable with a studid .msi installer, which I can't get to run with wine.
If i just copy the program-files, it does not work, because it relies on some registry-modifications or whatever...

Any hints?
Use ccbsim: http://www.phost.de/~stefan/playutil.html
It does everything you ask for.

Regards,
planetmaker

the.Ant

Post#3 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:59 pm

planetmaker wrote: Use ccbsim: http://www.phost.de/~stefan/playutil.html
It does everything you ask for.
For some reason, I get "Illegal function call in VCR" when I do ^v, but ^h works, so i get at least some results.
Thanks for the tip!

scooby dood

Post#4 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:38 pm

I use echoview to calculate and winplan to run it. Why not use winplan?

Catman

Post#5 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:22 pm

scooby dood wrote:I use echoview to calculate and winplan to run it. Why not use winplan?
How do you do this?

I use ccbsim also, it's a good one, but sometimes fluctuates..i.e. fighters remaining will go up and down.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

Mika

Post#6 » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:28 pm

the.Ant wrote:Does anyone know a decent tool to simulate battles?

Any hints?
Good to hear that. As it seems I am the last guy reporting bugs... every four or five months I talk to the programmer (Tanascius) to discuss the latest bugs. He promised me to do a little update if I can find enough bugs to justify a real patch instead of simple workarounds (what worked well so far).

I'll drop a note here in the forum as soon as I get a reply.

Regards
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

the.Ant

Post#7 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:12 am

scooby dood wrote:I use echoview to calculate and winplan to run it. Why not use winplan?
Basically because I think it's hellish to use, I don't have Windows and the interface is horrible. Ok, the last point and the first are pretty similar, but I need to emphasise this. If I would have to use Winplan, it would take me much more time to do my turns.
I have to admit, "back in the old days" I wasn't playing Planets on any "real" host but just with some friends and on a local BBS... we all used winplan then, but we also never played a game till the end because it just became to annoying to handle...

the.Ant

Post#8 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:20 am

Mika wrote:He promised me to do a little update if I can find enough bugs to justify a real patch instead of simple workarounds (what worked well so far).

That sounds great, thanks!

It would be perfect if it would not have to be installed, just extracted in some directory. Second best option would be a normal installer, just please no .msi installer! It would also be great to know which .dll's it's dependent on.

Last but not least, not really a bug but a feature I would be very happy to have: a possibility to save battle-presets. That would make it far easier to compare different scenarios without having to scroll through the whole shiplist again.

hennef

Post#9 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:05 pm

the.Ant wrote:
Mika wrote:He promised me to do a little update if I can find enough bugs to justify a real patch instead of simple workarounds (what worked well so far).

That sounds great, thanks!

It would be perfect if it would not have to be installed, just extracted in some directory. Second best option would be a normal installer, just please no .msi installer! It would also be great to know which .dll's it's dependent on.

Last but not least, not really a bug but a feature I would be very happy to have: a possibility to save battle-presets. That would make it far easier to compare different scenarios without having to scroll through the whole shiplist again.
now THAT would be a great feature!
have fun!

hennef

Mika

Post#10 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:31 pm

ok... news from Christoph (Tanasius)

unfortunately his tool will only run under windows. What OS do you run on your machine? He said that it is probably impossible but if you are lucky there might be an easy solution. He also said something about a version that you can simply unzip instead of installing it via the .msi installer... but he also said that this version requires windows as operating system. BUT you could try to copy the files and then install VB4 runtime (visual basic 4 runtime). He can not test it but thought it could be worth a try.

He also remembered that he made a version for ppl that had problems with the msi installer. Since there is no link on the HP you can not find the file (including everything you need) even tough it is there. Here is the link.

www.tanascius.com/download/tana-full.zip
I hope that helps along with that vb4 runtime thing... have not tested it.

I also mentioned that we want to save battles or at least have somthing like a web browser to set up a few battles and then brows back and forward to compare the results... whatever, I think he got the direction of what we were thinking.

Dear Tanascius Tool users:
if you know ANY bugs or problems or things you would like to add to the tool (as long as that does not mean writing a completely new tool) please say it now!!! It is probably much easier if we make a list and I will discuss it with Christoph.

I already mentioned that his battle sim shows exploding Lizard planets/bases at 100% damage what is just wrong :)

his answer was something like "hm... and I thought my baby is perfect"
let's help him to make it perfect. He just said that he could do an update and maybe we will see him in a game here too... but that is less likely to be honest :)

Ok, boys and girls... if you have some ideas or bugs to report please do it now! He seems to be in a good mood to help us... I don't want to disappoint that great guy ;)

Regards
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.

the.Ant

Post#11 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:09 pm

Ok, that sounds great!

I have been quite busy lately but I will try it with the full version soon.
I am using Kubuntu Linux 6.10.
The problem is not windows however, but really the .msi installer. I can get most windows program to run with an emulator (things like MS-office or Internet explorer are no problem), but to install an .msi I need an msi installer which does not work. I will try it and tell you if it worked or if there are further problems.

Mika

Post#12 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:09 pm

I also just heard that it should be possible to unpack the .cap file (whatever that is) and then install it manually...

maybe that would be another solution.
Oderint dum metuant.

Return to “Intel”