moving ALL data to a new computer!?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mika

moving ALL data to a new computer!?

Post#1 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:11 pm

Hi

I'll move this weekend and can only use my laptop there. So the question is: can I just install winplan, echoview and tanascius and then copy the vpwork folders to a usb drive and overwrite them on the new machine again?

I want to keep ALL the echoview history and what else could be important too. Is there anything?

Has anyone tried this?

thanx in advance
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

hennef

Post#2 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:18 pm

i simply copy all my stuff onto my ipod and take it to any machine i stumble about. usually works fine. just copy and play.
have fun!

hennef

Mika

Post#3 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:28 pm

hennef wrote:i simply copy all my stuff onto my ipod and take it to any machine i stumble about. usually works fine. just copy and play.
the whole winplan folder?
just copy and play? no registry entries? nothing?
do you use echoview and tanascius too?

looks promising
just have to get my usb stick...
Oderint dum metuant.

Rimstalker

Post#4 » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:10 pm

there is a couple of vbx files that need to go either in your windows system folder or into the winplan folder itself. There is an archive on RCworld that holds all the required ones.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

hennef

Post#5 » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:14 pm

no

just copy and play, no fiddling what so ever

i use tanascius and JVC
have fun!

hennef

Mika

Post#6 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:22 pm

ok... I installed winplan on my laptop. Then I copied the winplan folder from my old machine to the usb stick and then I copied the files and folders to the winplan folder on my laptop.

I had to adjust the rst upload/download paths in winplan but it seemed to work. But now the problem is that all my echoview data is gone. All the turn history... gone. And when I load a game in echoview even my own planets are "unexplored" even tough the correct colours are shown in the config.

Any ideas?

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.

Shardin5

Post#7 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:25 pm

In Echoview, Under File you will see Export EV Data, export everything, and then copy that ev****.dat file to the vpworks directory on your laptop.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Mika

Post#8 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:31 pm

that worked... at least I see everything again that was already explored. Thank you.

And does anyone know how I can get the turn history too? You know... pressing f3 is pretty useful sometimes. At the moment Echoview can not show my previous turns even tough there are ev001r5.dat files (002r5, 003r5,... I think the number is the turn and the number after "r" seems to be the race).

So the files are there but are not used.

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.

hennef

Post#9 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:45 pm

sorry, i can not help you with that, but i just remembered why the copy-prcedure normally works so well with me. i try to keep the same folder-path on every machine ;)
have fun!

hennef

Ogie

Post#10 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:48 pm

If you look in the VPWORK# file you should see a bunch of files named ev[turn#]r[race#]. Copy all these over and you'll get all the prior EV info.

Ogie

Post#11 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:49 pm

Errr. Looks like you did that. I don't know then. That always works for me when I'm doing my turns on different computers.

Return to “Intel”