Differences between PHost and Host

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Re: Utility Data File Feature

Post#16 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:28 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:UTILx.DAT: PHost writes utility data files which can be used by client-side programs. HOST does not, so clients have to rely on message scanning.

To ][avok:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be sure to include the UTILx.DAT file in with the .RST file in the .ZIP file!!! The PHost game I'm playing in now doesn't do that. You have to go to the site and download it. Echoview isn't happy if that file isn't in the game dir.

Sysop
Site Admin

Re: Utility Data File Feature

Post#17 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 7:08 pm

Zaphod Beeblebrox wrote:
Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:UTILx.DAT: PHost writes utility data files which can be used by client-side programs. HOST does not, so clients have to rely on message scanning.

To ][avok:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be sure to include the UTILx.DAT file in with the .RST file in the .ZIP file!!! The PHost game I'm playing in now doesn't do that. You have to go to the site and download it. Echoview isn't happy if that file isn't in the game dir.

PHOST? What's that? :wink:
Best Regards,

Joe

Shardin5

Post#18 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:12 pm

Havok,
PHOST should be easy for you, As Ed can do it. :P
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Remote Control Feature

Post#19 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:08 am

There is a feature that I like called Remote Control. Basically, you can take control of one or more of your ally ships. Once the command has been completed, if the ship is scanned, it will appear to all of the other player to be yours. You have complete control of the ship as if it is one your ships.

When it comes to messages from the remote controlled ship, the remote control player and the owning player will receive messages about missions, ground attacks, passing through a minefield or a mine hit, Wormhole travel, cloaking failures, the ship is boarded by the Tholians or Privateer, the ship is hit by a Glory Device, if the ship is chunnelled, if the ship is a Firecloud, when it initiates a Chunnel and if it is a Cyborg ship, it beams aboard debris.

In the docs, it gives an example of the Tholians taking remote control of a Birdman ship. When it is scanned, it will appear as a Tholian ship. It will be able to perform Super Spy mission but it will not be able to lay a WEB. The Tholian player will move it as if it is his own ship.

Once your turn file is processed by the host, the ship reverts back to the owner (the Birdmen in the example) for processing. Right before the new RST file is generated, the ship is given back to the remote control player (the Tholians in the example.)
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Extended Missions

Post#20 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:46 pm

The Extended Missions feature is another feature in PHost. WinPlan, PCC, VPA and DOS Plan (DOS Plan support the extended missions through the Command Processor) support the extended mission feature. The all the extended missions either do the same thing as some friendly codes, give a player more flexibility than a friendly code or do something that there isn’t a mission or friendly code to do. That will free up your friendly code for other things.

Mission 20 - Build Torpedoes from Cargo - This mission is intended to replace the mkt friendly code. Not much to say here.

Mission 21 - Lay Mines - This mission is intended to replace the miX and mdX friendly codes. In Host, you can a minefield using all of your torpedoes, increments of 10, quarter or half of your torpedoes on board. You can also drop all of torpedoes to form a minefield for another race. In PHost, you can drop the exact number of torpedoes you want and in any race you want at the same time.

Mission 22- Lay WEB minefield - The same as Mission 21, except involving WEB mines.

Mission 23 - Scoop Torpedoes from Minefield - This mission replaces the msc friendly code: gather mines from a mine field and convert them back to torpedoes. In Host, a ship using the msc friendly code will scoop up all the mines in the field(s) within range of that race. In PHost, if ship uses this mission, the player can determine how many torpedoes will be converted from the mines. If there are more one minefields within scooping range, the play can determined how many torpedoes are to be scooped up anyone minefield.

Mission 24 - Gather-Build Torpedoes - This mission has no counterpart among friendly codes. When the ship is above a friendly planet, it will beam up minerals and cash, and make torpedoes from them. The player can limit the number of torpedoes to be built.

Mission 25 - Beam Down Money - This mission is a replacement for the bdm friendly code. The ship will beam down money to the planet it is orbiting. The player can control how much is beamed down.

Mission 26 - Transfer Torpedoes to a Ship - This mission is intended as a replacement or addition to the btt friendly code. The player can determine what ship is to receive the torpedoes and how many. The ships don’t need to belong to the same race.

Mission 27 - Transfer Fighters to a Ship - This mission is intended as a replacement or addition to the btf friendly code. The player can determine what ship is to receive the torpedoes and how many. The ships don’t need to be the same race.

Mission 28 - This mission is intended as a replacement or addition to the btm friendly code. The player can determine what ship is to receive the torpedoes and how many. The ships don’t need to be the same race.
Mission 29 - Standard Super Spy - This mission is exactly like Super Spy except that it does not attempt to change the planet's friendly code.

Mission - 30 Cloak - This mission is identical to the Cloak mission. It is provided simply so that ships not recognized by client programs (DOS Planets, for example) as having cloaking devices can still cloak (when using an alternate list in which ships don’t normally cloak, can now cloak) , assuming that PHost recognizes them as being able to cloak.

Mission 31 - Special - This is for the race specific missions (Super Refit, HISS, etc…).

Mission 32 - Gather-Build Fighters- This mission is a replacement for the lfm friendly code. The player can determine how many fighters are to be built. The ship must be in orbit of a friendly planet.*

Mission 33- Beam Up Credits from a Planet - If the ship is in orbit of a friendly planet,* the ship will beam up money from the planet. The player can determine the amount of money beamed up from the planet.

Mission 34 - Beam Up Clans form a Planet - If the ship is in orbit of a friendly planet,* the ship will beam up colonists from the planet. The player determines the number of clans to be beamed up.

Mission 35 - Beam Up Multiple - With this mission, the ship will attempt to beam up stuff from a friendly planet. Cargo is beamed up in order of Tritanium, Duranium, Molybdenum, clans, supplies until the hulls are full. The ship must be in orbit of a friendly planet.*

Mission 36 - Lay Mines In - This mission is like Lay Mines, if you are in multiple minefields, you can specify the number of torpedoes and which minefield ID to add the mines to.

Mission 37 - Lay WEB Mine In - Same as mission 36 but with WEB mines.

Mission 38 - Training - The ship crew will not work for you this turn; instead they will learn and educate themselves to gather experience. Training takes 10000 supplies per turn. Training can be done at any friendly planet.*

Mission 39 - Crew Exchange - This mission is only valid on Academy ships. It will attempt to exchange crew between the academy ship and a target ship.

Mission 40 - Repair Ship - This mission can be used to repair another ship. The ship using this mission must have the Repairs function. If the ship doing the repair mission is undamaged, it will repair all damage on the target ship. If the repairing ship is damaged, it will not be able to fully repair the target ship: if the repair ship has 10% damage, the target ship will only be repaired up to a damage level of 10%.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Cloning

Post#21 » Tue Sep 27, 2005 2:56 pm

Cloning: In HOST, cloning becomes virtually impossible after the ship limit. In PHost, clone orders are normal ship build orders which walk the build queue like everyone else.

In HOST, there are some restrictions to cloning: you can't clone a ship you are towing, and you can't clone when there's a loaded Firecloud at the base. No such restrictions exist in PHost. Newer HOST versions also relax these restrictions again.

In HOST, you can build and clone at the same time when you have more than 20 PBPs. PHost has an inherent limit of one ship per turn and base.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Combat

Post#22 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:57 am

Combat is different in PHost. As I have mentioned in another tip, you cannot view a PHost VCR in WinPlan or DOS Plan.

Combat order is slightly different than in Host. The complete rules are documented in the Order of Battle section. The some of the differences between HOST and PHost are:

In Host, planets always fight after ships (remember in Host, there are two phases of combat: ship/ship and ship/planet). In PHost they are part of the normal battle order.

PHost distinguishes between aggressor and opponent, Host does not.

In PHost, Cloaked Interceptors are processed in the correct Order of Battle, Host uses ships IDs.

Planet Combat
In PHost, planets can capture a ship by killing its crew, Host can only destroy a ship.
In PHost, planets remember all damage done in combat to the next fight, Host remembers the lower defenses but not the damage.

Lizard Combat
In Host, Lizard ships and planets can take 150% damage. In PHost, all ships and planets with 100% or more damage at the end of a turn is destroyed (they still receive 150% damage during combat and movement).

Damage Ships
Since PHost supports ships with more than 10 weapons of a type, the damage limit formulas have been changed to support that. In HOST, a ship with 50% damage can use at most 5 weapons. In PHost, a ship with 50% damage can use half of its maximum set of weapons.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Battlestar Host

Re: Combat

Post#23 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:01 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Combat is different in PHost. As I have mentioned in another tip, you cannot view a PHost VCR in WinPlan or DOS Plan.

Combat order is slightly different than in Host. The complete rules are documented in the Order of Battle section. The some of the differences between HOST and PHost are:

In Host, planets always fight after ships (remember in Host, there are two phases of combat: ship/ship and ship/planet). In PHost they are part of the normal battle order.

PHost distinguishes between aggressor and opponent, Host does not.

In PHost, Cloaked Interceptors are processed in the correct Order of Battle, Host uses ships IDs.

Planet Combat
In PHost, planets can capture a ship by killing its crew, Host can only destroy a ship.
In PHost, planets remember all damage done in combat to the next fight, Host remembers the lower defenses but not the damage.

Lizard Combat
In Host, Lizard ships and planets can take 150% damage. In PHost, all ships and planets with 100% or more damage at the end of a turn is destroyed (they still receive 150% damage during combat and movement).

Damage Ships
Since PHost supports ships with more than 10 weapons of a type, the damage limit formulas have been changed to support that. In HOST, a ship with 50% damage can use at most 5 weapons. In PHost, a ship with 50% damage can use half of its maximum set of weapons.

You know... you could save yourself a lot of typing... and us a lot of reading by just saying... RTFM... :D

Ed
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." John Wayne, THE SHOOTIST.

Cherek

Re: Combat

Post#24 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:43 pm

Battlestar Host wrote:You know... you could save yourself a lot of typing... and us a lot of reading by just saying... RTFM... :D

Ed

That is true. But if I post some on the subtle differences between Host and PHost, maybe that will spark an interest in some other players in PHost and then they will want to read the docs.

How many times have heard you heard something like "I'm new to playing VGA Planets and I can't view my battles, can you help me?", "Why do my planets always fight before my ships?" or asked questions about something only to discover that the questions are related to PHost?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#25 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:24 pm

He isn't doing alot of typing, he is doing a lot of coping and pasting, and giving away to much information for free. Make them earn it and force them to READ.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Sysop
Site Admin

Post#26 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:40 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:He isn't doing alot of typing, he is doing a lot of coping and pasting, and giving away to much information for free. Make them earn it and force them to READ.

Maybe you could offer the MS Cert for it Shardy :)
Best Regards,

Joe

Cherek

Post#27 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:11 pm

Old Fashion wrote:Maybe you could offer the MS Cert for it Shardy :)

Nope, can't do that. It is like IF he ever beats me, he is going to have to earn it. :lol:

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:He isn't doing alot of typing, he is doing a lot of coping and pasting, and giving away to much information for free. Make them earn it and force them to READ.

I have rewritten some of it, I'm not completely lazy. If you notice, I didn't go into details about what I posted. They can read the docs on how to do it, when it can and can not be done.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Movement

Post#28 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:11 pm

Zero-Fuel Movement: In PHost, ships without fuel can move at most one light year. In HOST, they can move as far as they get.

Movement through Mines: When the tower runs on a mine and explodes, the towed ship can escape and use the remaining time for moving towards its original waypoint.

Gravity Wells: It is not entirely clear from HOST documentation when and how gravity wells affect ships. For completeness, the approach taken by PHost is described below. It is believed that this closely (if not exactly) matches HOST behavior.

Fuel usage: With the standard configuration, fuel usage comes close to HOST's, but is not identical. PHost also offers an additional fuel consumption model which accounts for the fact that ships get lighter by burning fuel, therefore they consume less fuel.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Minefields

Post#29 » Tue Oct 04, 2005 5:03 pm

PHost supports up to 10000 minefields in a game. In HOST (and PHost up to 3.2), the limit is 500. Most games still use PHost with a limit of 500, though, as client support for 10000 minefields is not widely available.

Mine Decay: In PHost, Mine Decay happens before mine sweeping. HOST will report different sizes for a minefield which is laid and then scanned.

Minefield Explosions: Depending on PHost version and configuration, handling of overlapping minefields differs.

Mine Laying: In PHost, it is impossible to lay a new mine field when you already are inside one of your mines (except by laying in a different identity, of course). HOST has some tricks which allow that. When inside multiple mine fields, PHost allows you to choose which one to enlarge. By default, PHost adds mines to the lowest-Id minefield you're in.

Mine Laying Order: HOST as well as PHost 3.2 and below do mine laying in order of ship Ids. When all 500 minefield slots are used up, only low-Id ships will be able to lay mines. PHost 3.3 and later use a more fair order.

Mine Scooping: Mine scooping needs beams in PHost. In HOST, it does not.

Web Mines: HOST has a bit trouble with Web mines that do not belong to the Crystals. Since most of these effects are considered to be bugs, PHost implements that in the "intuitive" way.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Tim Continuum:

Post#30 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:15 am

Tim Continuum: When PHost detects that two players illegally share a registration number, their empire will stop working for a turn (ships do not move, planets do not produce). This makes it easier to continue the game after a Tim Continuum incident, because players do not get information they should not have (as it is the case in HOST which throws ships to random places). These days, most such incidents happen by accident, not by intention. In addition, PHost doesn't punish players for Red status TRNs. It just ignores the offending TRN files.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”