Differences between PHost and Host

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Cherek

Experience Points

Post#31 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:20 am

A new feature of PHost 4 is that ships (and planets) have experience. Every unit gains experience while operating on your command, and experienced units are better in various aspects than inexperienced ones.

Units have a particular amount of experience points (EP) which is kept secret. From that, PHost derives the unit's rank or experience level which determines the actual bonuses. You know the level of your units, so you can estimate how many points it has. PHost can be configured to support between zero and ten levels which ships can reach. It comes with sensible defaults for 4 experience levels.

In every turn, units gain new experience points. When they have accumulated a particular score, they reach the next experience level. Every unit can advance by at most one level each turn; if you have enough points to advance two levels, the excess points will be discarded.

Unlike the simple experience system in HOST, PHost's system affects the most important part of the game: combat.

Note that ship experience is not a substitute for player experience.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Shardin5

Post#32 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:56 pm

The copy and paster is at it again.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Cherek

Post#33 » Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:19 pm

ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:The copy and paster is at it again.

Straight from the docs. :D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Tei

Post#34 » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:34 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
ShardinEnemy#1ofTheIRJTN wrote:The copy and paster is at it again.
Straight from the docs. :D
I haven't seen Phost docs this clear! Thanks Cherek!

Cherek

Post#35 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:17 am

Thanks Tei. Now the only problem is to get enough players interested in PHost to keep Havok busy configuring PHost games. :lol: I'm always available (and so is Shardin when he is in town) to answer questions.

Phost is one of the few VGA Planets programs/add-ons that someone or group of people are still actively correcting bugs and making changes to.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Julius Atreides

Post#36 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:55 am

In PHost, special friendly codes will never match the friendly code of another ship, planet, or minefield.
Does this mean that if a minefield has one of the special FC that a ship moving through the minefield (with that special FC set) would hit normally and not ignore the field?

For example... a birdman ship had spied out a FC that would be set on a minefield, set the ship accordingly in an attempt to move freely through the field. But the FC on the planet from which the Minefield derived its FC was a special FC.

I've been looking at Phost stuff for a while now off and on and gotta say it looks pretty sweet aside from another learning curve of variant workings.

Cherek

Post#37 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:22 am

Special FC are like mkt, lfm, btt, ATT, NUK. Finding out a planet FC to pass through a minefield are not special FC.

http://phost.de/phost4doc/fcodes.html
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Cherek

Post#38 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 11:58 am

From the PHost docs.

Now when are two friendly codes are considered matching? When they are identical, character by character, of course. Friendly codes are case-sensitive, a lower-case 'a' doesn't match an upper-case 'A'. However, in PHost, there's one big exception: Special Friendly Codes Never Match!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

planetmaker

Post#39 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:44 pm

In order to know which FC are considered special write an in-game message to yourself that contains a line that reads

send fcodes

Maybe you are also supplied a file called xtrfcode.txt by your host along with the game configuration. That file contains all FC that are considered special.

Regards,
Ingo

Cherek

Post#40 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:12 pm

planetmaker wrote:Maybe you are also supplied a file called xtrfcode.txt by your host along with the game configuration. That file contains all FC that are considered special.

Regards,
Ingo
Good point. To be honest, I can't remember the last time I saw a xtrfocde.txt and had forgotten about it.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Catman

Post#41 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:29 pm

planetmaker wrote:In order to know which FC are considered special write an in-game message to yourself that contains a line that reads

send fcodes

Maybe you are also supplied a file called xtrfcode.txt by your host along with the game configuration. That file contains all FC that are considered special.

Regards,
Ingo
Sweet, I never noticed this. I do have that file in some of my PHost games.

Catman
I sent the club a wire stating, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.
-Groucho Marx

scooby dood

Post#42 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:36 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Thanks Tei. Now the only problem is to get enough players interested in PHost to keep Havok busy configuring PHost games. :lol: I'm always available (and so is Shardin when he is in town) to answer questions.

Phost is one of the few VGA Planets programs/add-ons that someone or group of people are still actively correcting bugs and making changes to.
Please refer to Good Sides and Bad sides of Phost Topic.
Ken

Active games:
Arrow of Apollo race 8
Cluster Discovery 80 race 7 @ http://rcworld.de/
Maelstrom race 3

Return to “Intel”