Minefields

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

majorm

Minefields

Post#1 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:29 am

Maybe this is a newbie question but I didnt find it anywhere at Donovan's.
Problem:
Many Minefields of mine have the FC ATT or NUK, I don't want to change them because the planets need them. Could an enemy get a hit if he sets his fc also to ATT or NUK?
Thank you! :wink:

Samuelt86

Post#2 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 am

Hello Majorm,

Now I know I shouldn't be telling you this as we are fighting in "Kill Casebolt". So take it for what it is worth.

You can set a Universal Minefield code by setting one of your planets with a FC of MFx where x is any charactor. The M & F are not case sensitive. So it can be MFx, mFx, mfx, etc.., All your minefields will then have that FC.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/help/mine ... iendlycode

Hope that helps. OK, I don't really hope.., :wink:

Sam

majorm

Post#3 » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:39 am

First thanks alot! You seem to be a very good and fair player :wink:
I read this atrticle in Donovan's page but understood it wrong. I thought a minefield then has a universal AND a normal fc and a ship only needs one of those to travel through savely.
So maybe now I can make our game more interesting!
P.S.: I'm learning a lot playing against Casebolt and you, so watch out! :D

planetmaker

Post#4 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:41 am

Samuelt86 wrote: You can set a Universal Minefield code by setting one of your planets with a FC of MFx where x is any charactor. The M & F are not case sensitive. So it can be MFx, mFx, mfx, etc.., All your minefields will then have that FC.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/help/mine ... iendlycode
I may be wrong and haven't tested it for a long time, but AFAIK the FCodes ARE case sensitive. Only the lower case version "mf?" should work.

Should you play a PHost game, you are on the save side also with NUK and ATT as they are considered special codes - and those never match with PHost.

Regards,
Ingo

hennef

Post#5 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:18 am

ALL planet codes are case-sensitive, afik.
have fun!

hennef

majorm

Post#6 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:47 am

but where do I see which universal code actually "works"? I set one of my panets fc to mft and now, a turn later, the starcharts show the same different fcs for the minefields.

qzmojo

Post#7 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:39 am

majorm wrote:but where do I see which universal code actually "works"? I set one of my panets fc to mft and now, a turn later, the starcharts show the same different fcs for the minefields.
The FCs are case-sensitive. Therefore "mft" will not work, while "MFT" will....
Your Friendly Pirate,

Mojo :D
---------------
It pays to be obvious,
Especially if you have a reputation for subtlety.
- S. Hardin
Mayor, Terminus

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Minefields

Post#8 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 am

majorm wrote:Maybe this is a newbie question but I didnt find it anywhere at Donovan's.
Problem:
Many Minefields of mine have the FC ATT or NUK, I don't want to change them because the planets need them. Could an enemy get a hit if he sets his fc also to ATT or NUK?
Thank you! :wink:
Somehow I missed this topic.

Your enemy will "SAIL RIGHT THROUGH THEM".

And if you're in a game with the Starbase mod, don't leave those planets on LMF either.
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#9 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:13 pm

From my sims, the universal mf code does NOT override the local code.

If Planet ### has fcode NUK and there is also an mfX, then either
NUK or mfX will allow safe minefield transit.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#10 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:15 pm

I always thought it overrode the the local FC, from Donovan's;

1. Minefields have friendly codes. The minefield's friendly code will be the same code as the planet that is owned by the owner of the minefield that is nearest the mines centre. So if you laid a minefield at Nixon and you own Nixon and Nixon's friendly code is "Q1m" the minefield would have a code of "Q1m". Any starship with that friendly code would be able to travel through the minefield and not activate any mines. If the planet's friendly code is changed the minefield's code will change to match it. The minefield friendly code takes effect as soon as the mines are dropped.

2. A planet with a friendly code beginning with "mf" will cause ALL minefields belonging to your race to have this code as the minefield universal friendly code. If you set more than one planet's friendly code first two letters to "mf" the highest ID planet will be used to set the minefield universal friendly code. The character following "mf" can be any letter or number. Example: If one of your planets friendly code is set to "mfK" then all your minefields will have the universal friendly code of "mfK".

3. A ship can use rule 1 or rule 2 to safely pass through a minefield. Both rules are in effect. The ship can use the "local" friendly code or the "universal" friendly code.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

majorm

Post#11 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:36 pm

@qcmojo: the fc indeed is case sensitive, but you have to write it in small letters: mf?
You get a message that now the universal fc is set if you "sweep mine".

@bane: that is what I thought and exactly what donovan says. A ship can pass either with the planet fc or with the universal fc.
That means that the universalFc is to use just for your allies to pass through, not to overwrite the other fc.
So there is a big problem if you have a planet with fc set to ATT or NUK and a minefield belonging to this planet. Just a 50:50 chance for the invader. Or you change the fc to other letters and let the chance go by that your planet can attack the invader. Thats not good at all! :(

B A N E

Post#12 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:50 pm

What the universal mfX code does is add an additional passcode for
all minefields.

Minefield #1 can be NUK, passable by NUK.
Minefield #2 can be ATT, passable by ATT.
Minefield #3 can be ABC, passable by ABC.
Minefield #4 can be 123, passable by 123.

But if one of your planets has mfX (X being whatever you want),
then:

Minefield #1 would be passable by NUK or mfX.
Minefield #2 would be passable by ATT or mfX.
Minefield #3 would be passable by ABC or mfX.
Minefield #4 would be passable by 123 or mfX.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

B A N E

Post#13 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:53 pm

How to get around this problem...

PHost is solution #1.

In THost games, the only alternative to protect NUK & ATT codes
from easy transit is to employ minefields with centers not on the
planet you're wanting to use NUK on.

Planet A has NUK
Planet B has ???.
Minefield centered on planet B, overlaying Planet A has the ??? fcode.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

anubis

Post#14 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:49 pm

B A N E wrote:How to get around this problem...

PHost is solution #1.

In THost games, the only alternative to protect NUK & ATT codes
from easy transit is to employ minefields with centers not on the
planet you're wanting to use NUK on.

Planet A has NUK
Planet B has ???.
Minefield centered on planet B, overlaying Planet A has the ??? fcode.
I have written a host-addon that runs in both AUX1 and AUXBC. The first part changes all ATT/NUK commands to a random 3 character selection. The second changes them back to ATT/NUK.

Since movement (and mine hits) happen between those two points, ships cannot clear mine fields with ATT and NUK. Sinee combat happens after AUXBC, planets will still attack ships.

If you guys want a copy, just let me know, I'll be happy to email to anyone that wants a copy.

B A N E

Post#15 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Anubis,

I suspect Havok would like to have that.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Return to “Intel”