PHP Abyss --- HELP

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

darkdimensions

PHP Abyss --- HELP

Post#1 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:44 pm

In my home game, where im hosting Phost 2.4 lite, I have run into a problem.

The PHP Abyss to be exact!

Here is a copied in-game message: "The Solar Federation has violated the rules of the Echo Cluster. Their ships have been immobilized and their mines and their factorys have been stalled. Their fate lies in the PHP Abyss."

it refers me to the faq.html for phost for more info, but all that says is:

"The PHP Abyss is the PHost version of the Tim Continuum. It is a method of preventing two (or more) players from using the same registered copy of the client program in the same game.
The effects of the PHP Abyss are different from the Tim Continuum (TC). While the TC causes ships to be flung to the remote reaches of the galaxy, the PHP Abyss thinks this is a bad idea since it a) causes flung ships to act like scouts, letting them see parts of the universe they would not normally see, and b) limits the options of hosts. If the TC strikes an honest player (as is the case in 99% of all TC incidents) then the host may wish to re-run the turn. But due to the scouting effect, the affected player has gathered information that cannot be given back.
Instead, the PHP Abyss "freezes" the player's actions for that turn. His ships will not move. His factories will not produce supplies, his mines will not extract minerals, his colonists and natives will not pay tax. It's as if the player picked up a "Lose A Turn" card.
The most common cause for a strike by the PHP Abyss is one person playing multiple races in the same game, but doing so incorrectly. In team games, especially, when one player submits a turn for another player, great care must be taken or the PHP Abyss will strike."

This is not a team game, and from what i can tell, all players are using their own certified keys, from Tim.

Has anyone else every run into this? and can anyone PLZ help?

thanks

Havok
Site Admin

Re: PHP Abyss --- HELP

Post#2 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:47 pm

darkdimensions wrote:In my home game, where im hosting Phost 2.4 lite, I have run into a problem.

Here is a copied in-game message: "The Solar Federation has violated the rules of the Echo Cluster. Their ships have been immobilized and their mines and their factorys have been stalled. Their fate lies in the PHP Abyss."

"The PHP Abyss is the PHost version of the Tim Continuum. It is a method of preventing two (or more) players from using the same registered copy of the client program in the same game.
The effects of the PHP Abyss are different from the Tim Continuum (TC). While the TC causes ships to be flung to the remote reaches of the galaxy, the PHP Abyss thinks this is a bad idea since it a) causes flung ships to act like scouts, letting them see parts of the universe they would not normally see, and b) limits the options of hosts. If the TC strikes an honest player (as is the case in 99% of all TC incidents) then the host may wish to re-run the turn. But due to the scouting effect, the affected player has gathered information that cannot be given back.
Instead, the PHP Abyss "freezes" the player's actions for that turn. His ships will not move. His factories will not produce supplies, his mines will not extract minerals, his colonists and natives will not pay tax. It's as if the player picked up a "Lose A Turn" card.
The most common cause for a strike by the PHP Abyss is one person playing multiple races in the same game, but doing so incorrectly. In team games, especially, when one player submits a turn for another player, great care must be taken or the PHP Abyss will strike."

This is not a team game, and from what i can tell, all players are using their own certified keys, from Tim.

Has anyone else every run into this? and can anyone PLZ help?

thanks
I would have to say, maybe not on the Key's topic.

Check the reg.log and look at each player.
Regards,
][avok

planetmaker

Re: PHP Abyss --- HELP

Post#3 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 am

darkdimensions wrote:In my home game, where im hosting Phost 2.4 lite, I have run into a problem.

Though the use of the same license for two trn files is the most likely cause, I've seen cases where two regularily purchased licenses led to the same thing. But in that case, IIRC, the distributor sent out wrong registrations and the issue was fixed with a call to them when pointing out the problems.

darkdimensions

Post#4 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:35 pm

i have checked, and even though both swear that they bought their own copys, the reg.log file shows them using the same copy!?!? one was purchased over ten years ago, and the other i helped to buy no more than a year ago...

so your saying two of the same codes were given out..... and that i should talk to Tim W about getting a different one..... ok thanks

Havok
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:02 pm

darkdimensions wrote:i have checked, and even though both swear that they bought their own copys, the reg.log file shows them using the same copy!?!? one was purchased over ten years ago, and the other i helped to buy no more than a year ago...

so your saying two of the same codes were given out..... and that i should talk to Tim W about getting a different one..... ok thanks
If you were already registered with Tim when you bought the new copy, and didn't specify that you wanted an additional registration, then you did get a copy of your original, probably on CD instead of floppy.

I had the same thing happen about 4 years ago.

You should contact Tim.
Regards,
][avok

belorsch

Post#6 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:24 pm

I'm a player in this game but not one that is effected by the PHP abyss. Whats interesting is that the problem didn't start until about turn 34 or so.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:02 pm

belorsch wrote:I'm a player in this game but not one that is effected by the PHP abyss. Whats interesting is that the problem didn't start until about turn 34 or so.
Someone probably shared data, or one played the turn for the other in the same folder on that PC...

Or maybe a player is playing 2 races... Hard to say, I'm not privy to the game data.
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Intel”