Queue Stuffing / Slot Hording

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

User avatar
Burnerboy
Posts: 412

Post#16 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:45 pm

Would not be much fun if they did not :D

Ron

User avatar
Gilgamesh
Posts: 4938
Contact:

Post#17 » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:20 pm

You may have noticed, I'm doing my best to make NF 40 fun for you right now. :twisted:

Death and destruction, just two of the services we at the Klingon Empire provide!
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

User avatar
Mika
Posts: 739
Contact:

Post#18 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 am

As hennef said... some races have VERY cheap but useful ships, others do not. So why shouldn't they build a smaller ship just to use it for some turns as freighter (getting towed) and then be recycled again?

][avok mentioned something about 139 freighters. If I see such a player he becomes my primary target. Not because I hate such guys (in fact I don't care), just because there are so many nice pbps waiting for me and the more freighters, the less good ships to defend.

So if I can't afford somehing more useful I build a cheap ship or even a sdsf at least. Building nothing is somehow strange. And I NEVER had a problem in a game that way. Not because I did it and not because I saw someone doing that or even worse (like the 139 freighters ][avok mentioned)

So at least for me there is no problem in general
concerning arena it would be nice to have some bonus for the one who plays like it was intended... like a real klingon!

something like the first one taking the enemy's hw gets 100% of the planets. The second one 66%, the third 33% and the last one nothing.

Ships should be deleted in any case to prevent massive unbalancing.

Ok, gotta work again
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Post#19 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:37 am

For those who dislike this tactic, doesn't our host offer games with the add-on that breaks the 500 ship limit? I think it is called Host999.

I recall playing in one of those games about 10 years ago and I found it was impossible to fill the ship slots. Of course that meant that the 'borg over-ran all the other races...

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#20 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:09 am

Douglas Jew wrote:For those who dislike this tactic, doesn't our host offer games with the add-on that breaks the 500 ship limit? I think it is called Host999.

I recall playing in one of those games about 10 years ago and I found it was impossible to fill the ship slots. Of course that meant that the 'borg over-ran all the other races...
PHost also does 999 ships and other things too. 8)
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#21 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:18 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
Douglas Jew wrote:For those who dislike this tactic, doesn't our host offer games with the add-on that breaks the 500 ship limit? I think it is called Host999.

I recall playing in one of those games about 10 years ago and I found it was impossible to fill the ship slots. Of course that meant that the 'borg over-ran all the other races...
PHost also does 999 ships and other things too. 8)
you are getting slow. it took you one and a half page to mention phost :P
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Mika
Posts: 739
Contact:

Post#22 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:21 am

I think this ship limit discussion is somewhat strange. Either my taste is not very common or I'm just a slow player. Anyway, with host999 in Arena with only 8 players that means a good player should get something like 300 ships or more. With only 4 players you have 500...

I'm already annoyed with the 150-200 ships I have in a few games. Because it takes maaaaaany hours to do a turn.

At least for arena I wouldn't recommend such a tool.

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#23 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:22 am

Arena will be going the other direction.
~200 planets and ~200 ship limit.

IMO, Host999 does nothing to stop QS but just doubles the tedium.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

User avatar
hennef
Posts: 2250

Post#24 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:31 am

B A N E wrote:Arena will be going the other direction.
~200 planets and ~200 ship limit.

IMO, Host999 does nothing to stop QS but just doubles the tedium.
i totally agree on this position. less room, more conflict :D
have fun!

hennef

User avatar
Klauser
Posts: 991

Post#25 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:05 pm

B A N E wrote:Arena will be going the other direction.
~200 planets and ~200 ship limit.

IMO, Host999 does nothing to stop QS but just doubles the tedium.
Absolutely! Couldn't have said it better!!
Klauser

"Any ship can be a minesweeper ... once!"

User avatar
Cherek
Posts: 5695
Contact:

Post#26 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:23 pm

hennef wrote:you are getting slow. it took you one and a half page to mention phost :P
I was waiting for just the right time. :D
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

User avatar
Six_Of_One
Posts: 1078
Contact:

Post#27 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:05 am

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:
hennef wrote:you are getting slow. it took you one and a half page to mention phost :P
I was waiting for just the right time. :D
Ah, so this is the right time then :?

"Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:09 am"
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Post#28 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:22 am

So how does reducing the number of ship slots available stop players from locking others out by building a lot of junk ships?

For an extreme example, say the host reduced the ship limit from 500 to 50. I could see the same players who normally block out the carrier races still building lots of SDSFs. So assuming everyone starts with two free ships on turn zero, the remaining 28 slots get filled by turn three. That means the 'borg now has no Fireclowns, let alone any Biocides. The Robots now have one Golem and no ability to fill it quickly. The Crystal player now just captures one of the big ships and starts crushing HWs.

On the other extreme hand, if the number of ship slots were doubled, I could see that the complaints about the game being boring and tedious could turn out to be true. But I doubt that players would try to stop others from building ships by building hundreds of SDSFs.

So which is worse, the inability to build big capital ships or the need to plan out battle plans for hundreds of fleets?

User avatar
B A N E
Posts: 3777

Post#29 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:30 am

With regards to Arena, it would make sense if you were familiar
with the format.

Those that subscribe to QS would likely just stuff more.
IF the logic works in 500 slots, it would still be valid in 1000.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Douglas Jew
Posts: 88

Post#30 » Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:02 pm

Okay, I can see your point that with elimination contests, the allies who QS would lock out the more powerful races and then theoretically be able to knock them out of future contests.

I have noticed that this is the case even in NF games. In NF39, the Crystals spent about 15 of the first 40 turns not building any ships at all while waiting for some minerals to show up. Now I am short 15 pieces of junk and the possible QSers are running over the rest of us.

So then the question becomes, is there another add-on that removes the cap on the ship slots or exceeds the 999 limits?

And now I can also understand why Havok activates 5 ion storms in most games. Junk ships just get cleaned up rapidly once those storms sweep through an empire.

Return to “Intel”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron