tech level 3 ship not slowing down after minehit

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Mika

tech level 3 ship not slowing down after minehit

Post#1 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:13 pm

hi

the subject says it all. But is this normal when the ship is a cloaker? Or is this just another "feature" (let's call it cheating) by the Q-player or is this just a bug I've stumbled about?

The ship I was talking about was a white falcon class cruiser and it has 82% damage. The ship did hit a mine (hehe, funny... there were 18 mines last turn and 16 this turn) and was still able to fly around 60ly what should be pretty impossible with 82% damage.

In fact I don't care because that ship will run out of fuel in my webs anyway or it will be destroyed. But it would be interesting how such things can happen.

Cheers
Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Cherek

Re: tech level 3 ship not slowing down after minehit

Post#2 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:39 pm

Mika wrote:hi

the subject says it all. But is this normal when the ship is a cloaker? Or is this just another "feature" (let's call it cheating) by the Q-player or is this just a bug I've stumbled about?

The ship I was talking about was a white falcon class cruiser and it has 82% damage. The ship did hit a mine (hehe, funny... there were 18 mines last turn and 16 this turn) and was still able to fly around 60ly what should be pretty impossible with 82% damage.

In fact I don't care because that ship will run out of fuel in my webs anyway or it will be destroyed. But it would be interesting how such things can happen.

Cheers
Mika
I find it interesting that it hit a mine.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

warpedboard

Post#3 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:41 pm

Just curious, how do you know it's at 82%? The minehit message? Or something else?

Havok
Site Admin

Post#4 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:54 pm

Cheers
Mika
If the ship had supplies on it prior to the hit, they would have been used during the last host run to partially repair the ship.

If it's a Q owned ship, then you already know the answer.
Regards,
][avok

warpedboard

Post#5 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:08 pm

Havok wrote:

Cheers
Mika
If the ship had supplies on it prior to the hit, they would have been used during the last host run to partially repair the ship.

If it's a Q owned ship, then you already know the answer.
What he said... that was the indirect point of my prior question. If it had supplies, it wouldn't have ended up w/ the full damage reported in the minehit message.

And, as Havok says... if it's Q-owned -- well there ya go :P

Six_Of_One

Post#6 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:18 am

If its Q-owned it will never run out of fuel :shock:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

B A N E

Post#7 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:21 am

Six_Of_One wrote:If its Q-owned it will never run out of fuel :shock:
Not quite accurate, but very close.

Back in FD, it took a lot of work in cash, minerals & webs to
lock down those Q-CofM ships and then drain and towcapture.

:wink:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Mika

Post#8 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:07 pm

yes, the ship is Q owned.
And I knew that the Q is cheating (fuel and minerals generating, reading trn files, etc) but I did not know that the Q can continue the journey with a heavily damaged ship.

To clarify the situation:
I had this VERY small minefield of just 16 mines (forgot to switch to lay webmines instead of lay mines). Echoview shows me a minehit close to the planet where the mines are located and that minehit explosion says that the ship took 83% damage. The ship ends up around 60ly away of that minehit location and it shows warp 2!!! And the white falcon is only able to repair 28% damage with 140 supplies on board (what is not possible because the ship killed another ship before and had torps but hey... it is still the Q) So even this strange case is impossible because 83 - 28 = 55 --> warp 5 for the damaged ship. And it is pretty hard (for me) to fly 60ly with warp 5 in one turn. It does not take more fuel like moving with warp 9 with a ship that has only tech 1 drives, it is simply impossible! And the fact that Echoview shows warp 2 underlines that it was really impossible.

And to make sure that nobody can get me wrong. No, I'm not complaining. I'm pretty amused. It is just a very interesing fact I thought I could share with the other vpl fanatics here.

And yes, it is GREAT FUN to fight the Q with the crystals or privs (I had 2 priv games and this x-tal game running and had Q neighbours in all games). At least your learn how you have to deal with them.

Mika
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:08 pm

I didn't get the impression you were complaining... 8)

The Q is what it is. I wish it wasn't the only C-Player that was natively supported by AutoTroll, but until that time come we'll be using it.
Regards,
][avok

Six_Of_One

Post#10 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:33 am

I actually like Q, plays aggressive and the cheaty bits make up for it being a computer program and not a human player.

At least you know if your not the player close to Q, the one who is isnt going to get free pie, like some other c-players or if the race just sat idle.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cherek

Post#11 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:37 pm

SL doesn't rely on "cheats" or "features" to player well.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#12 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:00 pm

I don't mind Q having Darksense or fuel scoops on freighters.
I can understand Q needing the data and the ease of free fuel
to move materiel to build the economy.

I loathe Q having "see and act" upon cloaked ships.
Having cloaked ships towed bites.
Having cloaked ships intercepted and killed bites.

I mind greatly Q having fuel scoop on cloaked ships.
Cloakers being able to fly endlessly is wrong.

I mind in general Q having fuel scoop on warships.
Fuel limits range as it should.

I have as of BP2 discovered that Q if subbing for a player:
fries economies.
fries fleet deployments.
strands ships where a player cannot rescue them but Q can.

:evil:
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#13 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:15 pm

Don't forget how "lucky" Q is when it comes to minefield and WEBs. :roll:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”