PBP's

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Vodenkugels

PBP's

Post#1 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:45 am

Can some one enlighten me on the usage of and some strategies for how to use PBP's? When the ship limit is reached then what? How do you interpret the que?
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Cherek

Post#2 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:01 am

Simply put (from Donovan's), if you've got 21 or more points and there are free ship slots you will use your priority points. This means that before the game hits the 500 ship limit you can't accumulate priority points with the intention to collect an enormous stockpile of points and use them after the ship limit. That won't work.

The rules for using PBPs are simple: the player with the most PBPs will get the first free ship slot. When that player has his new ship, his PBPs are recalculated. Then again the player with the most PBPs will get the next free ship slot. This could be the same player, but it could be another. Etc.

For more information, checkout
http://www.xs4all.nl/~donovan/info/vgapqueue.htm
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Vodenkugels

Post#3 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:25 am

How many points are used for each free slot? you have to have 21 before you canbuild?how could the same person build again if he used his points for the first free slot. I'm also pulling out my 'Bilble by Donovan" as I send this:)

Vodenkugels

Post#4 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:27 am

OOPS ' BIBLE by Donovan" got a dislocated digit

Cherek

Post#5 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:51 pm

It depends on the ship you are building. Here is a quick guide to figure out how many PBP's you are going to use to build a ship.

Double the hullmass of the ship, divide by 100 and round up and you will have the # of PBP's used to build the ship.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Vodenkugels

Post#6 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:05 pm

Sorry for the 'unresearched" questions. When this beautiful day ends I'll dig out Donovan and do my homework. Hopefully Ill be Learned

Cherek

Post#7 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:10 pm

You have to have 20 or more PBP and a free ship slot use the PBP.

If you had 18 PBP's at the beginning of the turn and you had a big battle and recieved an additional 14 PBP's, that would give you 32 PBP's. If you have the highest PBP then you would get the first ship build slot.

Then host will recalcute your PBP's again, if you still have hightest PBP's (above 20), then you'll build another ship. If you don't, then someone else will a ship. It will continue until all the ships slots are filled or no one has over 20 PBP's.

Once there are no more players with more than 20 points, or at least no more players with more than 20 points who have one or more bases set to build a ship, the priority queue stops and the normal queue starts to cycle - continuing where it had left.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

lord vinny

Post#8 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:44 pm

hey man...
this took me awhile toget through my head also...
donovans help page expalins it pretty well..and so did cherek...but he left out afew points..

1st...with a 500 ship limit game..its obvious that nobody can build until there are 499 or less ships...then, then person with highest pbp's will build a ship and so on like expalined above...then if the limit still hasnt hit after everyone is below there 20 point limit the normal ship build starts again like cherek mentioned(ships get built from the lowest sb # up through planet 500, and the builds start where they left off last trn)...

2nd...you have to assign your sb's to build those priority ships by setting their f-codes as PB1-PB9(i think it goes up to nine atleast :lol: ...) otherwise you wont build anything even if you have the most points...

there are alot of players who try to abuse this system..and forum threads here with arguments about that...and alot of players try to keep track of the regular build queue so that after they build their priority ships if there is still room they can also build a good ship from the regular queue...and therefore get the most outta the build queue...
but i dont want to confuse you trying to go into that...once u understand the general concept you cna experiment with it and see what works best for you..hope that helps some...
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Cherek

Post#9 » Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:15 pm

Actually, PBP starts at 450 ships not 500.

I might be wrong on this (I doubt it though), even if you don't set a SB with a FC of PBX, you have over 20 PBP's and you build a ship using normal ship build, Host will still subtract PBP's for the ship you built.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

lord vinny

Post#10 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:13 pm

Commodore Cherek, IRJTN wrote:Actually, PBP starts at 450 ships not 500.

I might be wrong on this (I doubt it though), even if you don't set a SB with a FC of PBX, you have over 20 PBP's and you build a ship using normal ship build, Host will still subtract PBP's for the ship you built.
that could be right..youve been playing alot longer then me...to be honest ive never payed enough attention to it...but i do know that setting a sb as PB1 will make that sb build a ship 1st and then so on PB2, PB3, etc. if you have enough points...

so does anyone else know if cherek is right in that you still use up PBP's without setting sb's to PBx? im trying to think back on some of my recent trns but my memory isnt the greatest during the weekend :hennef:

Cherek

Post#11 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:08 pm

Here is something from the PHost docs.

Note that PHost doesn't force you to do a priority build. If you have most PBPs in your game, but do not use a PBn friendly code, you keep accumulating points (for a really huge battleship, maybe). In contrast, HOST forces you to do a priority build in this case.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

lord vinny

Post#12 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:45 pm

cool, learn something new everyday...so have we confised you yet Vodenkugels? :lol: it might be better to research stuff on your own..never know what you might learn askin stuff on the forums...

im just kidding...lotta players on here will answer yer questions...and if you look around the forums pages you'll see alot of questions u might have already asked and answered before...that way, if you ask the questin again you'll know if the person answering you knows what he is talking about or not...
or in my case, jsut how many he has had before he tries to answer :alcohol: :cheers:

Cherek

Post#13 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 9:53 pm

That is why I cut and paste a lot, fewer mistakes. :lol:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Vodenkugels

Post#14 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:15 am

to nice a weekend to do research. Your point of reading and comparing is how i've worked it in the past. I'm sure i;ve read every posting at least once. You learn something everytime. It's at least encouraging that everybody else doesn't have ALL the answers. I dread that game ( when one guy truly knows it all.)It be like playing against the EX

B A N E

Post#15 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:38 am

Regarding PBPs spending strategy:

Generally, I like to spend them on low PBP cost ships.
I just hate spending 10-20 PBPs for the heavies.

I'd rather spend miserly: by race some ideas:
3 for an LDSF or 4 for an STF (generic for all races).
3 for a Loki. (Fed/Gorn)
1 for a Eros or Bohemian (Fed/Gorn) (Fed)
1 for a Swift. (Rom)
2 for a D19 (Klingon)
2 for an MBR (Orion)
3 for a Firecloud (Borg)
3 for a Ruby or 4 for an Emerald (Tholian)
3 for an SS Frigate (empire always mine deficient!)
3 for a Catspaw (Bots)
1 for a Falcon sometimes 2 for a Gaurdian (Rebel)
3 for a Cobol (CofM)

Granted, need will alter the PBP choices, but I prefer to build my
warships by the Starbase Queue and instead supplement my empire
and fleet via the PBPs.

Usually I find that as the game progresses and my empire expands,
I am needing more freighters. Where X cargo capacity worked with
50 planets, I need 2X cargo capacity to upkeep 100 planets. For the
capacity, 4 PBPs to move 2600 cargo is often very well spent and the
STF has the ability to haul a Starbase and most of a good hull in one
ship.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,