Computer player

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Siberian Snake

Computer player

Post#1 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:43 pm

Personally, I never played against any computer player. So here are my questions.
1. What computer player is used here? Is there documentation ?
2. I don't expect much from the docs... so, what special abilities does it have? Free fuel? Free money? Free fighters ? Anything else?
3. Does it use racial abilities? Does it Rob? Hisss? RGA ? Tow enemy battleship with a cloaker to awaiting fleet?

Siberian Snake

Cherek

Post#2 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:16 pm

If it's "Q" which I think is used, it doesn't use RST file to play by, so, most of the time if not totally, it's immune to minefields, ships never run out of fuel, sometimes enemy ships uncloak, just to name a few things.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#3 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:25 pm

Default is Q.

Q cheats.
Uses all racial abilities.
Ramscoop on all ships.
Darksense on all races/planets/etc.
Sees and acts against cloaked ships.
Sees and acts against all ships.
Is not (sorry Cherek) immune to minefields.
Is an idiot with the pirate fleet. :lol:

If Havok manually inputs the computer player, it is Spacelord.
Spacelord plays from an RST and does not cheat.
Better with the big races compared to the cloakers.
Spacelord uses racial abilities but is lousy at cloak & dagger tactics.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#4 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:53 pm

That is why I said "most of the time if not totally". Too many times, "Q" has flown through minefields and WEBs and not hitting them to attack a planet. If I was that "lucky", I wouldn't hesitate to travel 30 to 80ly through a minefield to attack a planet or ship.

Playing wise, I think SpaceLord is a better player than "Q".
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#5 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:01 pm

I find the anecdotes/player experience intriguing.

I've learned to be very minefield wary due to my bad luck.

I watch other players blaze thru them like they're not there
and I just scratch my head in amazement.

Games of chance do not favor me.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cherek

Post#6 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:11 pm

B A N E wrote:I find the anecdotes/player experience intriguing.

I've learned to be very minefield wary due to my bad luck.

I watch other players blaze thru them like they're not there
and I just scratch my head in amazement.

Games of chance do not favor me.
I've seen players do it ever so often myself but not at the rate that "Q" does it, "Q" doesn't hit that many mines.

If a minefield is in my path, I don't chance it, I sweep it as I move. From experience, I know I'll hit at least one mine.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Computer player

Post#7 » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:22 pm

Siberian Snake wrote:Personally, I never played against any computer player. So here are my questions.
1. What computer player is used here? Is there documentation ?
2. I don't expect much from the docs... so, what special abilities does it have? Free fuel? Free money? Free fighters ? Anything else?
3. Does it use racial abilities? Does it Rob? Hisss? RGA ? Tow enemy battleship with a cloaker to awaiting fleet?

Siberian Snake
I use 2 computer players here.

The primary computer player used is called "The Q" and it's made by the same people who make the AutoTroll software that runs the games. (Red Troll & Black Troll). It's the only computer player that the AutoTroll software will recognize and add / remove from the Aux1 batch file when a player drops a game or takes over a cplayer position.

The Q has access to all game data (as do 99% of cplayers) and also does some cheating like putting fuel on ships that are low, colonists, supplies etc. That cheating it does makes up for it's lack of smarts and it's easy enough to beat The Q if you half way know what you're doing as a player.

You can read a little about The Q from when I did a developer profile with Red Troll a year or so ago.

http://www.circus-maximus.com/dp-redtroll.htm

The second computer player I use is called SpaceLord. Spacelord is the 1 computer player that doesn't cheat. It uses the RST file just like a player. It's got some great AI in it and in tests it can beat every other computer player out there hands down. It is also economically strong and will build a great infrastructure on a race it's playing.

Since SpaceLord uses the RST file to play, it doesn't run in Aux1. SpaceLord has to be manually put into the games master batch file in the pre-host commands. When it's time to host, it plays the turn on the spot. I usually use SpaceLord as a fill in player on games that are having trouble getting a last player in to start the game.

I also interviewed the author of SpaceLord and he has a Dev Profile at this link.

http://www.circus-maximus.com/dp-sandersen.htm

You can also review results of an extensive computer player test that was done by the host of a the abandoned VGAP site Hyperspace at this link.

http://www.home.zonnet.nl/hyperspace/cp.htm
Regards,
][avok

Return to “Intel”