one quick question

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gilgamesh

Post#16 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:04 pm

I'm finding that out in Old School 2. Keep yer cubes - what I wouldn't give for a few poppers and a cloaker that could pillage in that game. I miss my Klingons...... :(
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#17 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:21 pm

I agree with SS, I would not want to play that game from either side.
Long & slow.

I hate playing borg.
My primary objection to playing Borg is tedium, it is a lot of work to
play the borg properly and the more meticulous the player, the better
they will play the borg. Cubes and FCCs are great, but no thanks...
more work than fun to me.

My 2nd objection to playing Borg?
I hate fighting against pirates as Borg.
YUCK.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#18 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:01 pm

B A N E wrote:
My 2nd objection to playing Borg?
I hate fighting against pirates as Borg.
YUCK.
And guess who is giving me grief in Old School 2 right now? I should have talked peace while I had the chance. Now I have the Privs plus the Klingons and Empire on me. I'm not long for that game, I think, but I'll make as big a stink on the way out as possible.....
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Six_Of_One

Post#19 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:10 am

I beg to differ with you all...........

Tedious playing the Borg... how rude :roll: obviously words spoken by those who have not played more than a couple of games with them. Nothing more tedious than dragging clans off ya homeworld to some planet eons away with freighters....... something the borg never have to do

Fastest growing economy
never want for $ or supplies
with a merlin a refinery ship you never want for anything.

With all other races its.... OH SH!T they are attacking my homeworld, the Borg dont care.... they have lots of homeworlds.

Liz and Fed love trading Loki's for Fireclouds, and the Borg with lokis are in orgasmic heaven.

It takes 5 mbrs to rob a biocide, and one to tow, it means you need 50 to rob a fleet of 10..... then you need to take into consideration the hostorder of rob, did the borg take the planet, are they beaming upfuel, and are they dropping minefields.

The sweetest sound in the universe, it the one MBR's make as they hit minefields 8)

The Borg suffer from the privateers, no more than any other carrier race that doesnt have lokis.

Assimilation is a pleasant experience................... trust me :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

hennef

Post#20 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:17 am

i like the borg because of their economic power.... but i am with BANE in this. they are NOT fun! they are efficient!

and against pirates??? it is just a big sale for pirates - the biggest around. and the prices are irrelevant, because you are not going to pay ;)
have fun!

hennef

Siberian Snake

Post#21 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:I beg to differ with you all...........

Tedious playing the Borg... how rude :roll: obviously words spoken by those who have not played more than a couple of games with them. Nothing more tedious than dragging clans off ya homeworld to some planet eons away with freighters....... something the borg never have to do

Fastest growing economy
never want for $ or supplies
with a merlin a refinery ship you never want for anything.

With all other races its.... OH SH!T they are attacking my homeworld, the Borg dont care.... they have lots of homeworlds.

Liz and Fed love trading Loki's for Fireclouds, and the Borg with lokis are in orgasmic heaven.

It takes 5 mbrs to rob a biocide, and one to tow, it means you need 50 to rob a fleet of 10..... then you need to take into consideration the hostorder of rob, did the borg take the planet, are they beaming upfuel, and are they dropping minefields.

The sweetest sound in the universe, it the one MBR's make as they hit minefields 8)

The Borg suffer from the privateers, no more than any other carrier race that doesnt have lokis.

Assimilation is a pleasant experience................... trust me :wink:
I can hardly agree with any of that. Moving clans from HW is just a routine job, and it doesn't require time or much thinking. Borgs, properly played is another matter. Take assimilation. Your probe found nice Ghipsy planet far form HW, with enough mins to build a base... but with low mining rates. It takes a lot of calculations to figure out the right strategy to colonize the planet so the base could be built while natives are still there. You miscalculated, you dropped 1 extra clan... The mistake will cost 4500 MC. Firecloud network once established, takes a lot of attention and calculations.
If any race has too much money, they are doing something wrong. Borgs simply have more money/supplies than anybody else, but then they need it more. Borgs have only one fighting ship - Biocide (you don't build Annis, do you ?), and it takes 15000 mc to arm just one.
Biocides don't fly around completely fueled. In reality, it takes 2-3 MBRs to rob one. And.... How many Privs Biocides are needed to Rob dry a fleet of Borgs Biocides? Borgs do not have any MBR hunters, they can only use Fireclouds for the job, and if they attack any Privs planet, there is a good chance that every ship landed will be captured. Oh well, one may be able to get away with "beam up fuel", if it has low enough ID, but the rest is doomed. Indeed, the only anti-Pirate weapon the've got is mines. Borgs and Evils are 2 the most Privs-vulnerable races.
Siberian Snake

Gilgamesh

Post#22 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Siberian Snake wrote: I can hardly agree with any of that. Moving clans from HW is just a routine job, and it doesn't require time or much thinking.
Agree completely.
Borgs, properly played is another matter. Take assimilation. Your probe found nice Ghipsy planet far form HW, with enough mins to build a base... but with low mining rates. It takes a lot of calculations to figure out the right strategy to colonize the planet so the base could be built while natives are still there. You miscalculated, you dropped 1 extra clan... The mistake will cost 4500 MC.
Agree completely.
Borgs have only one fighting ship - Biocide (you don't build Annis, do you ?), and it takes 15000 mc to arm just one.
Disagree completely. The very problem you mention, and the fact that you can build torps in space but not fighters is why you build Annis. Biocides I would leave for later in the game, as the ship limit approaches.

Biocides don't fly around completely fueled. In reality, it takes 2-3 MBRs to rob one. And.... How many Privs Biocides are needed to Rob dry a fleet of Borgs Biocides? Borgs do not have any MBR hunters, they can only use Fireclouds for the job, and if they attack any Privs planet, there is a good chance that every ship landed will be captured. Oh well, one may be able to get away with "beam up fuel", if it has low enough ID, but the rest is doomed. Indeed, the only anti-Pirate weapon the've got is mines. Borgs and Evils are 2 the most Privs-vulnerable races.
Siberian Snake
Agree completely. All of which is why (A) the Priv is spanking me so far, and (B) I will be leaving the Borg alone from here on in.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#23 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:
Disagree completely. The very problem you mention, and the fact that you can build torps in space but not fighters is why you build Annis. Biocides I would leave for later in the game, as the ship limit approaches.
Lose a few annihilations to a Cyg, Pat, Pat combo (or its' like) and
the Annihilation will quickly lose its' luster.

It's just too easy to kill the Annih.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Gilgamesh

Post#24 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:17 pm

How do you feel about Vickies then? :lol:
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#25 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:23 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:How do you feel about Vickies then? :lol:
As a Klingon, I build as many as I can because I cannot build anything
stronger.

Toss in a handful of Sabers to go boom in the fight and the Vicky can
become a real nightmare for folks that didn't prep for it.

Nothing like having a couple Vickies blow through a few gorbies.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

hennef

Post#26 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:32 pm

B A N E wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:
Lose a few annihilations to a Cyg, Pat, Pat combo (or its' like) and
the Annihilation will quickly lose its' luster.

It's just too easy to kill the Annih.
but the anni still has the advantage on most ships. you can combo pretty much every bigger ship with a cheaper combo, but do you have that combo ready all the time? do you have the needed numbers of ships? i guess you wil just need both cubes every time. the anni for "cheap" combat and the bio to fight the other big guys.
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#27 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:03 pm

I suspect part of the reason for the divergent POVs is historic playstyle.

I prefer Rare universes and the thought of coughing up 2400 in minerals
and ~8000$ to a dirt cheap combo is unacceptable.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Siberian Snake

Post#28 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:30 pm

The main problem with Anni... It is rather easy to lose and it gives your opponent twice as many PBPs than, say, Vicky. PBP count is one of the most important and most overlooked components of the game.

Siberian Snake

hennef

Post#29 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:34 pm

what i like with the anni is the useful combination of the gather mission - one of the most overlooked abilities in the game btw. ;)

i never overlook PBPs - they are essential!
have fun!

hennef

Tei

Post#30 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:56 pm

I could never understand building an Anni when a Bio could be built, Use the Fireclouds for mine laying. Chunnel in the Bios when work is needed. Fighting the Privateers with any race one needs to mine like hell. Overlap the mines. Make traveling so hazardous that they can't even move around their own space. Make lots of fuel from the supplies and minerals. And wait. Wait for the ion storm to come....

I really like the Borg. The mobility advantage is what makes them fun. It is a lot of work to organize a successful chunnel net work but rewarding once it is set up. My strategy is to use a hub and spokes for the network. One planet deep inside my space is the hub where fleets of ships bring the supplies and excess minerals and then deliver them where they are needed. One challange is to move assimilated colonists off planets with bad temperatures to more agreeable ones before they die out. Borg is the only race I've found a need for a Super Deep space freighter.

:transformer:

Return to “Intel”