Clans on Hot Planets

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

B A N E

Post#31 » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:22 pm

robert wrote:
B A N E wrote:even easier...in VPA.

When you're orbiting a planet and you're beaming down clans,
VPA tells you how many you need.

No Winplan, No extra window.

8)
i use VPA. Could you explain exactly what I need to do. (Im a bit thick)

Rbert
I think this is it:

In vpa.ini:
+ ShowMaxPop = On|Off
Show the minimum number of clans required for growth or
ground attack and the maximum number of clans depending
on climate below the number of current colonists. [Default: Off]
NEW: Show Population-Information when loading/unloading clans to planets
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#32 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:36 am

the.Ant wrote:
BitMask wrote:I have actually though of doing that a few times, but if I remember correctly it's in C and been a few year I programmed in C (And I'm a lazy programmer now using VB/.Net/Java/etc.)

Well, JVC gives you almost as much info as Echoview AND you can do your turns with it. And it has a good interface. And it's Java, supports plug-ins and it's open source you it should be actually relatively easy to modify it.
Give it a go :)
I've been using JVC for a few year now. 8)

hennef

Post#33 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:32 am

B A N E wrote:
robert wrote:
B A N E wrote:even easier...in VPA.

When you're orbiting a planet and you're beaming down clans,
VPA tells you how many you need.

No Winplan, No extra window.

8)
i use VPA. Could you explain exactly what I need to do. (Im a bit thick)

Rbert
I think this is it:

In vpa.ini:
+ ShowMaxPop = On|Off
Show the minimum number of clans required for growth or
ground attack and the maximum number of clans depending
on climate below the number of current colonists. [Default: Off]
NEW: Show Population-Information when loading/unloading clans to planets

why on earth would you turn any kind of information OFF???

you are just all far too old to accept new technology anymore :P

use JVC! oh and find someone to get rid of those bugs still left ;)
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#34 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:48 am

psst... VPA puts all the information on one page.
If you turn everything ON, it won't all fit.

(bother that DOS)
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#35 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:03 am

B A N E wrote:psst... VPA puts all the information on one page.
If you turn everything ON, it won't all fit.

(bother that DOS)
They just don't know do they... :)
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#36 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:08 am

hennef wrote: use JVC! oh and find someone to get rid of those bugs still left ;)
I know of the keyboard focus loss error after using Load/Build fighters/torps
and the playing an allied turn as well. What other issues do you know.

If you can make a list, it would help.

I've already compiled a version that runs on the new Java 6 version.

hennef

Post#37 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:50 am

BitMask wrote:
hennef wrote: use JVC! oh and find someone to get rid of those bugs still left ;)
I know of the keyboard focus loss error after using Load/Build fighters/torps
and the playing an allied turn as well. What other issues do you know.

If you can make a list, it would help.

I've already compiled a version that runs on the new Java 6 version.
one thing is the wrong association of tech-level and slot for torps. when you manually build or buy, lets say mk4, at your base, it will increase the tech level to 6 instead of 5. that is a costly nuisance. thats why i constantly end up with level 9 torp tech. its working fine with launchers, beams and engines though.
there is also a bug with fighters from time to time. i did not really understand it yet. but sometimes the base automatically rebuilds fighters when you transfer them onto a ship. this may result in invalid money on the planet and punishment from the tim-continuum in the worst case.
but that is a rare one.
and in my version 0.91b build 56 the minefield tool is not working at all. the previous version did that correctly. its a shame, but i guess it is just a small linking problem.
then there is a problem of saving the color scheme of the score board. a friend of mine once manually changed the colors of the races to my liking as well, as the program would not save those settings.

well, thats all i remember right now. there are some issues, but if i compare those to things like

B A N E :
"psst... VPA puts all the information on one page.
If you turn everything ON, it won't all fit."

warpedboard:
"I have to disable my secondary monitor whenever I want to run VPA or things act wonky."

then i have no doubt that JVC is the better choice ;)

btwm the keyboard focus bug is just close to irrelevant, as you regain control by just clicking into any cargo hold, or at the taskbar or anything else....
have fun!

hennef

B A N E

Post#38 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:06 am

then i have no doubt that JVC is the better choice
Ignorance is bliss...
Good thing hennef is happy.

:lol:
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

hennef

Post#39 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 1:12 pm

B A N E wrote:
then i have no doubt that JVC is the better choice
Ignorance is bliss...
Good thing hennef is happy.

:lol:
how do you know? i really am quite happy today :D

one and a half hour till that soccer game starts... i hope they will sack Poland :P

cheers!!! :cheers:

:beer:
have fun!

hennef

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#40 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

hennef wrote: one thing is the wrong association of tech-level and slot for torps. when you manually build or buy, lets say mk4, at your base, it will increase the tech level to 6 instead of 5. that is a costly nuisance. thats why i constantly end up with level 9 torp tech. its working fine with launchers, beams and engines though.
there is also a bug with fighters from time to time. i did not really understand it yet. but sometimes the base automatically rebuilds fighters when you transfer them onto a ship. this may result in invalid money on the planet and punishment from the tim-continuum in the worst case.
but that is a rare one.
and in my version 0.91b build 56 the minefield tool is not working at all. the previous version did that correctly. its a shame, but i guess it is just a small linking problem.
then there is a problem of saving the color scheme of the score board. a friend of mine once manually changed the colors of the races to my liking as well, as the program would not save those settings.

well, thats all i remember right now. there are some issues, but if i compare those to things like

B A N E :
"psst... VPA puts all the information on one page.
If you turn everything ON, it won't all fit."

warpedboard:
"I have to disable my secondary monitor whenever I want to run VPA or things act wonky."

then i have no doubt that JVC is the better choice ;)

btwm the keyboard focus bug is just close to irrelevant, as you regain control by just clicking into any cargo hold, or at the taskbar or anything else....
That rebuilding of the fighters I have never seen. I might be a tough one to find/fix.

I don't have access to the previous minefield code, but we'll see.
The focus is more of an nuisance to me as I get it on every 4 ship, each turn I do. I know I can get around it, but it waste so much time.

Thanks for the list so far, though. Will see what I can do.

the.Ant

Post#41 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:26 pm

BitMask wrote: That rebuilding of the fighters I have never seen. I might be a tough one to find/fix.

I don't have access to the previous minefield code, but we'll see.
The focus is more of an nuisance to me as I get it on every 4 ship, each turn I do. I know I can get around it, but it waste so much time.

Thanks for the list so far, though. Will see what I can do.
The focus thing is not that bad for me as well, since you can easy work around it. And yes, there are some problems with allied turns but I can live with that as well.

One thing which is really annoying is that (to my knowledge) you cannot hyperjump across the echocluster border if you want to land on a planet. If you set the planet as a waypoint, the ship takes course in the opposite direction. This is only with hyperjump though, normal flying works fine. However, if you set a waypoint in hyperjump distance, every capable ship will go automatically in hyperjump mode. If you just head for the border and set HYP manually the jump works but you can't land on the spot then.

The fighter building issue is rare, but I've seen it as well. Also, there is sometimes a bug if you have ordered a ship and then build fighters for which you have to sell supplies. The fighters are build but the supplies not sold, again resulting in a bad turn. If you sell the supplies manually first, everything is fine.

Another problem which I encountered is that is not working at all with Sun-Java 1.6, 1.5 works fine. Blackdown Java and IBM java run fine as well.

However, I am using a previous build of JVC, so I don't know if any of those bugs is fixed by now. I'm using the older one because I would rather omit the colours than the minefield-simulation. I don't know anything about Java, would the jar-file help? Could send it to you. Or is it only the binary and of no use? Otherwise, maybe Lars Dahm is willing to help out, if he still has this old stuff.

Oh, and I never noticed the bug with the torp-tech levels but I could not say if I just did not noticed or if it's also a bug of the newer build.

Not a bug but a feature which would be really nice to have: a possibility to safe messages of previous turns (and fights as well), and a possibilty to make a selection which types of messages are marked hidden and which aren't (for example I usually don't care about minescans, but I like to read the ship-build messages).

Keep us updated on the progress, I would be very, very grateful if you could improve this neat little program.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#42 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:50 pm

Thanks for adding to the list Ant. I'll look into it. The jar file is like a a ziped binary, but I'll ask Lars at some stage.

For the Java 1.6 issue I have a build that works, but you have to remove your jvc.db and game db files when you start to use it. They will be recreated, but your game history is gone. I would suggest this at the start a a game if you don't want to loose your history.

Let me know if you want to try out the Java 1.6 version, although the minefield stuff would still be from the latest build.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#43 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:07 pm

I've tried the torp tech level bug, but it seems to not happen in my version.

Could you guys give more info on the minefield tool. What tool is this. What is it suppose to do and what does it do/not do? I've always worked my minefields in Echoview.

hennef

Post#44 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:02 pm

BitMask wrote:I've tried the torp tech level bug, but it seems to not happen in my version.

Could you guys give more info on the minefield tool. What tool is this. What is it suppose to do and what does it do/not do? I've always worked my minefields in Echoview.

well the mine fields worked nicely in build 54? 52? which one are you using tim? they are selected in the markers menu... there is just no reaction at all in my built 56.

it can create any kind of minefield radius and sweep mines according to your settings. number of beams --> resulting mine field size.

i am already getting used to use tanascius for that by now. or mostly my intuition ;)

i always crate a new game every 40-50 turns because the files are getting so large that the system gets slower by all those previous messages it is stashing....

maybe the torp-bug is a built problem as well?

i only remember that the 56 did some nice changes, but now you can no longer down that old version any more.

if you would combine 54 and 56 it would be perfect ;)

well, if you combine all the good things :D
have fun!

hennef

the.Ant

Post#45 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:06 pm

BitMask wrote: Let me know if you want to try out the Java 1.6 version, although the minefield stuff would still be from the latest build.
Right now I don't mind the old Java but sure, I'm happy to give it a try. Can you upload it somewhere? Otherwise I'll pm you my gmail address.

I'm using build 54, the minefield projector is activated with shift-f9 or the marker menu, it looks like this:

The neat thing is that it automatically adjusts torp class and number of the ship you've currently selected. If you have md* set, it's recognized as well.
Once you click ok, it creates a temporary marker of the right size, quite handy to keep out of range of minesweepers.

Return to “Intel”