No Clans on Planet

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

robert

No Clans on Planet

Post#1 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:28 pm

If im sitting above an enemy planet with loads of warships and a cloaked Bird ship attacks the planet, surely my ships then attack the enemy planet and its mine again.

Why is the planet now showing no enemy colonists at all?

Yours

Robert

and what do I do to retaliate? Please send reply in the form of a private message

Thanks

the.Ant

Re: No Clans on Planet

Post#2 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:09 pm

I could tell you O:)

the.Ant

Post#3 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:26 am

Okok, I won't be mean, I will tell you.

The reason is the Birdmen's advanced cloaking technique. If a bird sets a ship with advanced cloaking device (Resolute or Darkwing) to colonize, the whole ship will be dismantled, including the cloaking device. This is then used by the colonists to hide their presence on the planet, which is why others get a reading of 0 clans on the surface.

The only possibility to retaliate is by setting all of your warships to colonize as well. If you colonize more ships than the bird, you will gain control of the planet. Also, if next turn you get again a reading of 0 clans on the surface, it means that your clans have successfully conquered the cloaking device themselves.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 3:57 am

Is it a coincidence that both of you joined the forum on the same date?

Six_Of_One

Post#5 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:04 am

I think you are writing what we call double dutch and are sounding like the chef from the muppets :lol:

So i will answer what i think you are getting at

If you are sitting above an enemy planet, why didnt your ships attack it when you arrived......... :?:

Matching friendly codes spring to mind :wink:
(which is also a trick if you see a torp ship coming at you and need time, quite often the friendly code of mkt avoids battle....)

two things to remember
1 the birds cloak (captain obvious here)
2 they have super spy mission which allows them to stay cloaked and change the planets friendly code

What you need to do is
- change the fc's of all your warships to different ones and set the bird as your primary enemy
-if you have a firecloud in the fleet, remove all its fuel and set a cube to intercept it. KEEP in mind, he can transfer 1kt of fuel to it and tow it and it will fight, but your cube will then kill his ship.

NOTE the fuel thing is NOT to be used against the priv or crystals with cloakers.. they tow they own :cry:

The bird is relying on you not carrying enough/any clans, he will remove clans from the planet and another cloaker will simply clan drop everytime you drop some

They can be frustrating little suckers, but with minefields, multiple fireclouds and caution you should be able to chunnel everything you need in, including ldsf's with clans, that you drop on planets with natives. Drop 1200 clans, next turn there are 2400 and he cant take the planet back unless he attacks it with a warship... set one planet up like that and cubes can move some around.

This is where allies, especially the klingon are extremely helpfull. The klingon would love either fireclouds or cubes, and you would love d19's or sabers.... and the bird would sh1t himself........ one pop, no cloak, then toast :wink:

Solutions to your problems and problems like these are open ended as i cant see your turn and hence dont know exactly whats happening.

anyway, some things to contemplate

ps, i had dinner during the writing of this, which explains why the birds answered before me
Last edited by Six_Of_One on Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Six_Of_One

Post#6 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:06 am

Oh yer, and the advanced cloak thing apparently :shock: though i cant understand why you would sacrifice a resolute or darkwing over a planet, but i suppose it depends on the game scenario.

or is he pulling your leg :?: i mean asif you would colonize your warfleet over a planet....... you simply cant trust them nasty sneaks, best just to smash your way through their space

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Hawkeye

Post#7 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:58 am

Six_Of_One wrote: Matching friendly codes spring to mind :wink:
(which is also a trick if you see a torp ship coming at you and need time, quite often the friendly code of mkt avoids battle....)

As far as I was aware, certain matching friendly codes, namely mkt, lfm and one other one are exempt from the matching-friendly-codes-don't-fight rule

As for the main post, a number of scenarios may have caused this:

You were overhead the enemy planet, but none of your ships were set to Mission = Kill, and PE was set to neither the birdmen or the planet owner. Planet FC was not set to ATT or NUK

Therefore, no attacks occured between your ships and the birdman ship, or the planet owner.

The birdmen ship appeared with PE set to the planet owner, Mission set to something other than Kill, Cloak, or Super Spy.

Birdman ship doesn't attack your ships, and vice-versa. Birdman ship then attacks planet, leaving one clan which is then killed by either civil wars, or by amorphous worms.

** Alternatively ** the birdman ship had a very low ID, it therefore attacks the planet first, and if the birdman ship was destroyed, but managed to inflict say 97% damage on the planet, there would be no clans left alive on the planet afterwards. I think :?.... Therefore your ships don't get to attack the uninhabited planet.

Six_Of_One

Post#8 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:53 am

I have searched and can't find anything to substantiate the birds claim, BUT, having said that i know 3/4's of F-all about the birds.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

B A N E

Post#9 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:23 am

Colonizing your warships is a ruse...don't buy it.

Planet is in civil war or amorphs.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

the.Ant

Post#10 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:29 am

BitMask wrote:Is it a coincidence that both of you joined the forum on the same date?
yes.

Six_Of_One

Post#11 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:33 am

B A N E wrote:Colonizing your warships is a ruse...don't buy it.

Planet is in civil war or amorphs.
See, i told ya you couldnt trust them :P

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

the.Ant

Post#12 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:37 am

Six_Of_One wrote: -if you have a firecloud in the fleet, remove all its fuel and set a cube to intercept it. KEEP in mind, he can transfer 1kt of fuel to it and tow it and it will fight, but your cube will then kill his ship.
Can be risky as well, if the ship is towed for 81lys, you burn a lot of fuel. If you have enough, no problem, but most players don't.
Additionally, it does not solve your problem, you will destroy the birdship but thanks to cloaked intercept, you will also have lost your firecloud...
As you said yourself, Borgs can easily deal with the Birds IF they have multiple fireclouds. Thus, the topmost priority is always to take out the fireclouds. I don't care if I loose a ship or two in doing so.

the.Ant

Post#13 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:43 am

B A N E wrote:Colonizing your warships is a ruse...don't buy it..
No believe me, I tell no lies! Set all your warships to colonize!

:jester:

PS: I am happy to solve the puzzle as soon the rest of those annoying Biocides have disappeared from the orbit of my planet as well. Should not take too long. Evering suggested in the forum so far is wrong.

Vodenkugels

Post#14 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:45 pm

I'm also in this one and Ol Borgies problems have only begun. He's played a great game and got off to an aggressive start. But the allied (we had to ) forces have the momemtum......His days are numbered even if he can eradicate the birds. I will admit that thinking this as over several turns ago was short sighted. The experience gained in these last confrontations has been invaluable. Thanks to all :)
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

the.Ant

Post#15 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:38 am

Well, since the game in question is almost over now and I believe that the purpose of this forum is also to share strategies (after all better enemies make for more interesting games), here is what happened:

Scenario: Invasion

I (Bird) arrive with my invasion fleet at the Privateer HW, unfortunately, the Borg is just arriving there as well. Since I was planning to fight the privateers, not the borg, I could do nothing but stay cloaked and watch them take my planet. The Borg had only Annihilation cubes there, so I started dropping clans to take over the planet. Every turn he would recapture the planet (thus accumulating victory points) but at least he would also loose some torps every turn while I was waiting for my reinforcements. It worked for a while until the Borg got Biocides in, and recaptured the planet with them, thus loosing no fighters.
However, since the planet was a former HW, there were also no natives to assimilate and the Borg apparently did not have many clans with him himself, there was only one clan on the planet.

So all I did was to drop 1 clan myself. They killed each other off, leaving the planet unowned, and the borg could not recapture it. At least that preventend the borg from gaining more victory points and gave me enough time to draw my reinforcement fleet in.

The easiest way to retalliate would have indeed been to drop many clans right away or at least to carry many with the fleet in the beginning. However, even though I could not fight all the cubes at once, I did manage to clean the area pretty thoroughly of fireclouds. I intercepted every Firecloud which only looked like it might eventually come near this planet, thus the borg had a hard time getting reinforcements in. In the end there were 10-15 cubes at this planet but they were quite immobile and since the borg did not get victory points any longer I could take my time and pick them out one by one.

Granted, in the end we needed a big coallition to stop the Borg and it was a tough fight on both sides, but it was great fun!

Return to “Intel”