Lack of PBP's

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

hennef

Post#76 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:42 am

Six_Of_One wrote:
Of course this now begs the question,........ since there is also a 500 minefield limit, am i mine stuffing if i lay hundreds of pointless little minefields around the place just so the others cannot, especially the crystal and his webs :?:
thanks for bringing that up, i was just thinking the same..... because it is really the same thing. only that you can not earn primary minelaying points.

are webmines counted towards the same 500 or do they have their own 500 spaces?
have fun!

hennef

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#77 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:01 am

Webmines count towards the same 500 limit.

B A N E

Post#78 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:55 am

Mine stuffing, would you call it sporting or not?

The one time I've been involved with intentionally pushing the 500
minefield limit was in proving it existed ~10 years ago.

Was it legal, within the game mechanics, yes.
Was it cheesy, yes.
Was it sporting, no.
Have I done it again, no.
Was I ashamed that we won the game that way, yes.
It tarnishes the win for me.

Since v2 of VGAP, I have three games where I did something I wish
I had not. All three actions were to me in hindsight unsportsmanlike.
Each sounded like a good idea at the time but in hindsight was not.
Those mistakes don't get repeated.

I want to win by tactics, strategy, logistics, diplomacy & skill,
not gimmicks.

What if other players could completely disable "fill in the blank ability"?

What if other players could for some absurdly cheap expenditure
disable borg assimilation?
ie: What if other races could disable assimilation by setting one,
some or all colonial tax rate to 0%?

Would you Six object then?

As for your other example, I found it unsporting and outside the
spirit of that game and as such, I won't play intentionally with
that group in the future.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#79 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 am

B A N E wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Kudzu?

Sorry - I'm lost there....
In the US southeast:
http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

It is a nearly unkillable vine that grows at a staggering rate.
At the time, the members of that 5man VGAP team lived in:
Louisiana, Mississippi & Florida.

The other members of that team moved on to EVE:Online
http://www.eve-online.com/
I loathe rent-to-play.
You should try world of warcraft... You won't look back. I'll put money on it.
Regards,
][avok

Havok
Site Admin

Post#80 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:01 am

Six_Of_One wrote: I certainly find it less questionable that the scenario below....

" 4 races killraced for cheating and hence you would think could play no further part in a game. Yet through the addon give planet, the Romulan are able to build a base, load it with torps, give the planet to the crystals (who were killraced for cheating) and then change the starbases fc to LWF"

Both exploit so called limitations of the addons/game, one being a 500 ship limit, the other being that killrace doesnt actually do it :roll:
Rather like having your cake and eating it, being choosey about which explotations of game limitations are acceptable and which are not.

Of course this now begs the question,........ since there is also a 500 minefield limit, am i mine stuffing if i lay hundreds of pointless little minefields around the place just so the others cannot, especially the crystal and his webs :?:
The circumstances of AQ3 game are definitely unique, from the cheaters that were booted, to the discovery of what killrace does and does not do, to the giving of planets to removed races... While I've let that tactic slide this time, it won't be repeated in the future. I see it as an exploit of the system just as much as I see queue stuff as an exploit.
Regards,
][avok

Cherek

Post#81 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:05 am

Havok wrote:
B A N E wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:Kudzu?

Sorry - I'm lost there....
In the US southeast:
http://www.jjanthony.com/kudzu/

It is a nearly unkillable vine that grows at a staggering rate.
At the time, the members of that 5man VGAP team lived in:
Louisiana, Mississippi & Florida.

The other members of that team moved on to EVE:Online
http://www.eve-online.com/
I loathe rent-to-play.
You should try world of warcraft... You won't look back. I'll put money on it.
ANd that is why I won't do anymore on-line game playing EverCrack was bad enough. :!:
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

B A N E

Post#82 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:18 am

Havok wrote: You should try world of warcraft... You won't look back. I'll put money on it.
Yes I will!
Everytime I get wacked by the missus.
:bricks:
Last edited by B A N E on Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Cardno

Post#83 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:23 pm

B A N E wrote:
Havok wrote: You should try world of warcraft... You won't look back. I'll put money on it.
Yes I will!
Everytime I get wacked by the missus.
:whip:
What's with this 'being whipped by the missus' thing you americans have - you and lord loki should start a club - although i suspect it woudl be x-rated.

you americans are creepy.........

Six_Of_One

Post#84 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:36 am

We unanamously congratulated the Romulan for thinking outside the square, and its rumoured that some may have muttered obscenities under their breath about the host that allowed it to continue :P

And then we hit the minefield limit, which stopped that tactic, but hurt us as much as it did the enemy.

We are not playing Chess, where every piece has set movements, we are playing a Sci Fi war game. The saying "Alls fair in love and war" means just that.

Whether it be Q stuffing, mine stuffing or whatever, DEAL WITH IT. No point in sooking, spitting the dummy, and taking your bat and ball and going home. LEARN FROM IT, it will make you a better player, there is always a solution, a counter measure, an alliance that can turn the tide.

Perhaps specializing in a certain race is the way to go, one that suits your game style and temperment, until you know it backwards. And learn to deal with whatever the universe throws at you.

Its not life or death, its a game, and at the end of the turns, its not so much where you finished, as to how much enjoyment you got out of it.
And theres always another new game starting just around the corner :wink:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cardno

Post#85 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Havok wrote:
Six_Of_One wrote: I certainly find it less questionable that the scenario below....

" 4 races killraced for cheating and hence you would think could play no further part in a game. Yet through the addon give planet, the Romulan are able to build a base, load it with torps, give the planet to the crystals (who were killraced for cheating) and then change the starbases fc to LWF"

Both exploit so called limitations of the addons/game, one being a 500 ship limit, the other being that killrace doesnt actually do it :roll:
Rather like having your cake and eating it, being choosey about which explotations of game limitations are acceptable and which are not.

The circumstances of AQ3 game are definitely unique, from the cheaters that were booted, to the discovery of what killrace does and does not do, to the giving of planets to removed races... While I've let that tactic slide this time, it won't be repeated in the future. I see it as an exploit of the system just as much as I see queue stuff as an exploit.
What I find even more questionable is that I jumped into that game to grab the xtal's - because there was suspcicion on Fletch's part that there was unusual 'collusion'. I didn't 'use' the race in favour of any one player - or side, because Fletch didn't want the balance ruined, just a questionable situation sorted. It later turned out that it was cheating. Some players in that game then requested that i exit so that fletch and his ally did not have an unfair advantage. That they then chose to use the tactic with the subsequently killraced xtal's - i find personally offensive and hypocritical, given they expressely asked for me to leave the game for FAIRNESS sake. And I did leave, because the only reason I jumped in, in the first place was to try to help save a game from going pear-shaped.

Gilgamesh

Post#86 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 pm

I'm with Six. Especially when you are playing a race with lesser firepower, you use everything at your disposal. I don't see it as cheesy, I see it as smart.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Cardno

Post#87 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:39 pm

Gilgamesh wrote:I'm with Six. Especially when you are playing a race with lesser firepower, you use everything at your disposal. I don't see it as cheesy, I see it as smart.
I'd heard you two were overly friendly together.....

Six_Of_One

Post#88 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:50 am

Cardno wrote:
Gilgamesh wrote:I'm with Six. Especially when you are playing a race with lesser firepower, you use everything at your disposal. I don't see it as cheesy, I see it as smart.
I'd heard you two were overly friendly together.....
Time to get a hearing aid then 8)

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Cardno

Post#89 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:21 am

Hell no!

I have heard enough already! If i got a hearing aid - i might hear more terrible things about you! :lol:

Six_Of_One

Post#90 » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:21 am

Cardno wrote:Hell no!

I have heard enough already! If i got a hearing aid - i might hear more terrible things about you! :lol:
Perhaps you could find an adult to explain what i mean :P

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Return to “Intel”