data transfer

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Blackbeard MCMLXV

data transfer

Post#1 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:04 pm

I've been playing planets on an old laptop with xp on it and I just got a new vista machine. How do I move planets onto the new machine? -The planets info is easy to copy but what about the actual game? I still have my original 3.5 disks but new machine has no drive... anyone know how to copy disks to DVR or CD

Do I have to find an old external 3.5 or what?
-Arrgh -Blackbeard MCMLXV

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:28 pm

You can copy the setup files from the 3.5" disks to a USB Drive, but the easiest option in my opinion would be to download and install the shareware version. Then copy your hole Winplan folder over the installed shareware version. This way everything should work as before, especially if you installed the shareware to the same folder as it was on your old machine.

Wintermute

Post#3 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:29 pm

You can copy the winplan folder from the XP machine to the Vista machine either through the network or CD. I haven't used my floppies in years, just keep a backup on CD. Once done you need to get all the DLLs. This link here says they have them but when dealing with system files you want to scan them with AV software or copy them from the XP machine individually.

http://home.arcor.de/thomas_klebes/html/winplan.htm

Not sure if you put them in the system folder or system 32 but I'm sure you can figure it out. If not I can look later (at work now) or somebody can verify and post.

Side note: WINPLAN crashes in Vista about once an hour for me with a memory error. You can either suffer through this or run it in XP in a virtual machine.

Hope that helps.

Cherek

Post#4 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:00 pm

Wintermute wrote:Side note: WINPLAN crashes in Vista about once an hour for me with a memory error. You can either suffer through this or run it in XP in a virtual machine.

Hope that helps.
DLL's go into the system32 directory.

WinPlan hasn't crashed on me. Try doing what BitMask suggested. Also, if you have another drive or your hard drive is partitioned into more than one drive, move WinPlan off of the C: drive.
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Blackbeard MCMLXV

Post#5 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:30 pm

that seems to have done it!! now lets hope I don't see the tim continum anytime soon :roll:
-Arrgh -Blackbeard MCMLXV

Return to “Intel”