Winplan won't install on XP machine

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

lin_fusan

Winplan won't install on XP machine

Post#1 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:44 pm

I tried to install Winplan on my girlfriend's laptop. (She has shown an interest in this game, so getting it to work is a must!)

We get an error message stating that this game won't work since it is a 16-bit program. (None of my other friends have had a problem like this.)

We even tried the Maninst.bat file but we get the same error.

As my tech-fu is weak, I can't figure out what's wrong.

Any help?

Cardno

Post#2 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:46 pm

Your gf says she is interested in planets? It's a TRAP!!!!!

rockford

Post#3 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:11 pm

Don't install it. Copy it, folders and all, from your machine to hers and it should run fine. I did that with Vista and no problem.
Retirement: There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

Burnerboy

Post#4 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:28 pm

rockford wrote:Don't install it. Copy it, folders and all, from your machine to hers and it should run fine. I did that with Vista and no problem.
You can also download the Shareware, install that, then overwrite with your registered version, and that works.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ron

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:44 pm

Burnerboy wrote:
rockford wrote:Don't install it. Copy it, folders and all, from your machine to hers and it should run fine. I did that with Vista and no problem.
You can also download the Shareware, install that, then overwrite with your registered version, and that works.

Happy Thanksgiving,
Ron
Do what Ron said.

lin_fusan

Thanks

Post#6 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:27 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys. I completely forgot about the Shareware version. I'll try Ron's suggestion first, then Burnerboy's (part of the problem is that I tried something similar to Burnerboy's suggestion before and it didn't work, something about not having the dll's in the correct directory).

As for the girlfriend trap, I went through the usual nerd phases whenever a girl shows interest in my hobbies:
1) Confusion
2) Incredulousness
3) Joy
4) Sarcasm check (ie. staring at her with my eyebrow raised for a few minutes, ie. the Spock maneuver)
5) Wary explanation of how the game/hobby works for fear of scaring her away
6) Fear that she'll get better than me as she grasps all of the rules and concepts faster than I did

Cardno

Re: Thanks

Post#7 » Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:39 pm

lin_fusan wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys. I completely forgot about the Shareware version. I'll try Ron's suggestion first, then Burnerboy's (part of the problem is that I tried something similar to Burnerboy's suggestion before and it didn't work, something about not having the dll's in the correct directory).

As for the girlfriend trap, I went through the usual nerd phases whenever a girl shows interest in my hobbies:
1) Confusion
2) Incredulousness
3) Joy
4) Sarcasm check (ie. staring at her with my eyebrow raised for a few minutes, ie. the Spock maneuver)
5) Wary explanation of how the game/hobby works for fear of scaring her away
6) Fear that she'll get better than me as she grasps all of the rules and concepts faster than I did
You forgot:

7) Shes really a guy - (had the op) No offense - i'm sure your gf isn't - this is merely a THEORETICAL possibility.

8 )Shes showing you that she is the perfect woman - meaning she has MARRIAGE in mind.....

But we need more women (I was going to say 'chicks', but had a panic attack at possible repercussions....) playing the game - i say teach her!

lin_fusan

Epic Fail

Post#8 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:55 pm

So I tried installing the Shareware version, but I get the same error message. The same with copy/pasting my original folder onto her computer. We even searched for an old setup1.exe file but couldn't find one.

So, epic fail. :(

This is the error message:

Header: 16 bit windows subsystem

Message: The system file is not suitable for running MSDOS and Microsoft windows applications.

I've searched for solutions on the microsoft website. I found a few, but if you brilliant, smart, sexy tech people (buttering you all up there...) have any other insights, I'll be happy to take them.

rockford

Post#9 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:54 pm

From the VGA Planets Homepage:

SETUP Problem:
Many people are having problems installing winplan on newer machines, the main cause of this problem is a program called setup1.exe located in the c:\windows\ directory. Search your windows directory for a file named setup1.exe and rename it to setup1.old if you find one. A bad setup1.exe file in the windows directory will block many programs from installing, including winplan.

:Hope this helps.
Retirement: There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.

darkdimensions

Post#10 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:16 pm

rockford wrote:From the VGA Planets Homepage:

SETUP Problem:
Many people are having problems installing winplan on newer machines, the main cause of this problem is a program called setup1.exe located in the c:\windows\ directory. Search your windows directory for a file named setup1.exe and rename it to setup1.old if you find one. A bad setup1.exe file in the windows directory will block many programs from installing, including winplan.

I have had this problem before, and changing the setup1.exe to setup1.old WORKED for me.

try it and see what happens. dont forget that vga is a bit ancient... just caress it a bit and be kind to her.

hope the GF gets addicted just as so many of us have...

Burnerboy

Post#11 » Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:54 pm

darkdimensions wrote:
rockford wrote:From the VGA Planets Homepage:

SETUP Problem:

I have had this problem before, and changing the setup1.exe to setup1.old WORKED for me.

try it and see what happens. dont forget that vga is a bit ancient... just caress it a bit and be kind to her.

I am NOT addicted... I just play a lot. I can quit when ever I wish..

Ron

hennef

Post#12 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:35 pm

Burnerboy wrote:
darkdimensions wrote:
rockford wrote:...

I am NOT addicted... I just play a lot. I can quit when ever I wish..

Ron

only ONE more turn!

:D
have fun!

hennef

lin_fusan

Fixed!

Post#13 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:40 pm

Strangely enough, I found the answer on microsoft's website! A damaged system file was the culprit, but that shouldn't have been a surprise, since her laptop has been buggy.

Installed and ready to play!

Thanks for the replies!

darkdimensions

Post#14 » Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:11 pm

glad u got it working!

i am addicted but have been on sebatical for awhile.

ill b back soon enough im sure

Return to “Intel”