Map Builders/Generators

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

FLETCH

Map Builders/Generators

Post#1 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:44 am

Hello all, besides Newmap and Map Wizard which are available in ][avok's downloads, are there any other map making programs that do a good job? I am playing around with a custom design, Map Wizard looks good for basic square or circular designs as well as populating and stocking the map, but not custom shapes or designs. Newmap has some good templates to work from but after spending quite some time moving planets individually to get close to what I wanted, I saved it several times in different names and now it seems to have lost them. I ran a search in my computer and it can't find them anywhere :(

So I ask the illustrious VGAP community what is their map generator of choice that will help me make a custom map?(not your basic square or circle).
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

B A N E

Post#2 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:37 am

What are you trying to create mapwise?
It may be doable in newmap.

I know there is a program that can generate maps from images.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

FLETCH

Post#3 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:08 am

I can build it in Newmap, actually I did, but I don't know where it saved it to..... and neither does it when I try to reload it.
FLETCH

B A N E

Post#4 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:22 am

IIRC, Newmap saves mapfiles to the directory it resides in.

When you saved the new map, did you use the save key and
give the file a name, a name with an extension or not?

Newmap is an old program and I expect that for it to load a mapfile,
it must follow the old dos filename 8.3 format.
ie: xxxxxxxx.xxx
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

FLETCH

Post#5 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am

That is where I went wrong. I gave them invalid names and it didn't save. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow.

Thanks BANE.
FLETCH

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:32 pm

I used AMaster to generate random maps and then tweak them with MapWizard.

Another way to do what you want is to use any old program to create the shape type that you want, save it as 'n bmp/jpg and import it into MapWizard using the map from bmp option.

Tools that works nice for shapes and things and are free are stuff like Inkscape & Scribus.

For showing the projected player areas and Homeworlds I have found nothing that even get close to MapWizard.

B A N E

Post#7 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:54 pm

BitMask wrote:For showing the projected player areas and Homeworlds I have found nothing that even get close to MapWizard.
BM would you explain this please?
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#8 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:04 pm

B A N E wrote:
BitMask wrote:For showing the projected player areas and Homeworlds I have found nothing that even get close to MapWizard.
On the right hand side there are 3 buttons that are enabled when you load a map with host data as well (you have mastered a game in that same folder).
They are under Planet Ownership and are called Host Data, Forecast & Habitat forecast. Click them and you will be amazed! :wink:

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Map Builders/Generators

Post#9 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:14 pm

FLETCH wrote:Hello all, besides Newmap and Map Wizard which are available in ][avok's downloads, are there any other map making programs that do a good job? I am playing around with a custom design, Map Wizard looks good for basic square or circular designs as well as populating and stocking the map, but not custom shapes or designs. Newmap has some good templates to work from but after spending quite some time moving planets individually to get close to what I wanted, I saved it several times in different names and now it seems to have lost them. I ran a search in my computer and it can't find them anywhere :(

So I ask the illustrious VGAP community what is their map generator of choice that will help me make a custom map?(not your basic square or circle).
Troll Mapper

ftp://ftp.circus-maximus.com/pub/VGAPla ... mapper.zip
Regards,
][avok

B A N E

Post#10 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:43 pm

BitMask wrote:
B A N E wrote:
On the right hand side there are 3 buttons that are enabled when you load a map with host data as well (you have mastered a game in that same folder).
They are under Planet Ownership and are called Host Data, Forecast & Habitat forecast. Click them and you will be amazed! :wink:
That's what I thought you meant.
That's one of the bummers with master.exe and
Short, Med, LR, VLR range circle starting at center.
Predictable.
Last edited by B A N E on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#11 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:59 pm

I use it for HW placements when I'm doing a map (Check that every player has a decent chance). I never use the circle option. Then again it's been years since I last used master or HConfig. I'm more of a PHost guy when it gets to creating games.

Cherek

Post#12 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:02 pm

BitMask wrote:I'm more of a PHost guy when it gets to creating games.
Now that is cool!
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”