Towing until Out of Fuel

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Gavan

Towing until Out of Fuel

Post#1 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:55 am

How do you setup the first ship to tow a second ship so that the first ship runs out of fuel at the end of the tow and at the location you want?

Do you have the same amount of fuel on the first ship as the fuel needed says or perhaps a tad less?
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#2 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:46 am

It does depend on the Host (TimHost or PHost), your client and what you want to do.

Basically the best is to run out of fuel inside the warp well and then let the warp well pull you in. This works best as any small discrepancies between client and host calculations are minimised.

Gavan

Post#3 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:01 am

Well to make it simpler I only play Timhost games for a start.

I do take your point that the smaller the travel the less of a different will happen between what the ship says and what host thinks. (and I was not thinking about a warp well but that is also a good point)
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

planetmaker

Post#4 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:08 am

Gavan wrote:Well to make it simpler I only play Timhost games for a start.

I do take your point that the smaller the travel the less of a different will happen between what the ship says and what host thinks. (and I was not thinking about a warp well but that is also a good point)
VPA and PCC have 100% correct fuel prediction for all hosts. The only unknown in those cases is the mass of the ship being towed, if it is a ship (alien or friendly) using beamup mission.

You might want to read up on this article: http://phost.de/~stefan/fuelusage.html and applying its usage as Orion player can be quite tempting. Check out the "advanced tow strategy" aka Dacian tow as linked on the wiki here: http://www.planetmaker.de/vgap/wiki/pmw ... tro.Orions

Gilgamesh

Post#5 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:14 am

BitMask wrote:It does depend on the Host (TimHost or PHost), your client and what you want to do.

Basically the best is to run out of fuel inside the warp well and then let the warp well pull you in. This works best as any small discrepancies between client and host calculations are minimised.
I usually take it to the far side of the warp well just to be sure.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

B A N E

Post#6 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:03 pm

When you're wanting to pull that tactic off in open space,
it becomes a bit more difficult.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

casebolt

Post#7 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:32 pm

You could just run yourself into a Webmine. #-o

Captain Blood

Post#8 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:32 pm

There is one way to be sure even with light ships.

Set up a game and host it yourself to see how much fuel to put on the ship. I usually find a way aroud that since it is a lot of work.

If playing a cloaking race there will normally be a second chance to get the ships together.

With the non cloaking races everybody notice the situation.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Silvestr Potash

Post#9 » Sun May 01, 2011 1:41 am

There are to cases when the VPA compute the fuel distance wrong on phost:
1. The ship is damaged,then vpa uses the disttabl for the wrong table.
(example: ship with transwarp 9 , 49%damaged must use the Fuel consumption table for the drive 6,not transwarp, so it spend slightly more fuel).

2. If the ship must end without fuel, and phost config:AllowNoFuelMovement Yes,UseAccurateFuelModel No,
then the ship fly to the minimal distance to use all fuel and+1 in each coordinates.This is less slightly than VPA shows.

Return to “Intel”