The race thing again...

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Vodenkugels

The race thing again...

Post#1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:35 pm

I'm stting here-kinda bored. NF48 is over and I'm getting my A$$ hairs waxed in NF53 as the birds. I can't get over the feeling i did some basic strategy F%$ups as a cloaking race. Like not being aggressive soon enough. I''m a beliver in playin' 'em all --to know your enemy better sorta thing. But I keep being drawn back to the sneaky cloaker idea. It seems to take a different sort of charachter than the one that builds a massive empire and then expands roman style.

Any way how aggressive is too aggressive ?
Does the blitzkreig tactic ever work?
What are a cloakers worst nightmares?

On another note i wonder if anyone has done some sort of "which race has one the most " thing?

As one of the newbies I'm always interested in which race i choose to play that will advance me the most as an overall player. kinda round out my weakness's, many of you seem to have mastered many races-but which races win the most.

Hey ][avok --any more nf's in the works???? PLEASE?????

So many questions---such a shitty typist................
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Krait

Post#2 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:06 pm

I'm new to the board, been waiting for an opening in a no frills.

It's been about eight years since I played, so I qualify as a noob. :)

My opinion on a cloakers worst nightmare...ion storm.
Blitzkrieg used to work, even if blunted, they were on defensive.
Overly aggressive to me is when you have no reserves to handle a failed attack, or to deal with an unexpected assault from a different source.

There you go....like the old saying opinions are like belly buttons, or something like that, everyone has one. :)

Good hunting.

Krait

Six_Of_One

Post#3 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:39 pm

Which race has won the most = how long is a piece of string :lol:
All comes down to the players in the games i think.

Whats is a cloakers worst nightmare, well that depends on what cloaking race you are.
Birds and Liz would be ion storms/poppers/minefields/webs.
Pirates would add Loki's to that list
Klingon would add loki's and delete poppers.

It's one thing to try all races, but imho you need to assess what type / style of play suits you best. In my case it's the sledgehammer approach, so i tend to do better by far with big carrier races, my favorite being the Borg.

Playing the birds or pirates takes a lot more planning, stealth and patience for most players. I accept those that specialize in these races can do things faster, but for the average player, it takes a lot more thought.

As for how aggressive to be, well that depends alot on who your neighbours are, and who you are.
Best to read the strategy section for all races, they give hints and tips to who are your best allies, who are your worst threat and how to deal with them. Get an overview of your neighbour, for example if you are the birds or lizard and find very early the borg are your neighbour, then go in for the kill as soon as possible... it take the borg quite some time to wind up, but once they have you cant stop them.

I think for the best players around there is no set strategy apart from their economy. Once the neighbour is detected, then they would decide on whether aggression-NAP's-alliance or stealth is required.

Started playing in '95 and still have yet to start a game as birds/liz/klingon/pirates save for altered scenario games like SFB. I have taken games over with these races, but you are then stuck with someone elses 30+ turns of tactics, and often a c-players erraticness for some turns as well. :roll:

Well those are my thoughts, don't know if they actually help or not.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

casebolt

Post#4 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:56 pm

IMO the Birds are the most powerfull race in the game, Lizards second.

Gavan

Post#5 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 pm

From my point of view if I was playing the Lizards,Birdmen,Fascists or Orion I would would be very aggressive to start with and take out one of my nearest races as soon as possible. (all of the below is a general statement and of course it depends on who is playing which race and the layout of the game)

These 4 races are ready to go from an early stage due to the shiplist and their race abilities. As for who to attack first I suggest the nearest fighter building race (or the crystals as they are the biggest problem for a cloaking race) Most fighter building races take time to get big enough before they can turn and go back after you and even if you do not kill them off from the game they will have a large enough problem trying to rebuild their empire.

The biggest threat to a cloaking race is an Ion storm followed by web mines I think. Loki's and Glory Devices are next but both of these can be dealt with with some planning and skill.

If i was looking for a race to learn to play the game with I would suggest the Borg followed by the Robots. Both races build large fighter ships and have a limited number of ship hulls to choose from so the way to play the game is straight forward.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Vodenkugels

Post#6 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:16 pm

i've done the bots and the rebels several times-even com afew but i guess i'm the scheming type.keep going back to the cloakers. Lizards were ok but again more of a brute strength up front rather than the sneak attack up the rear....I'm thinkin i gotta try the birds again

Gavan

Post#7 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:27 pm

The birds are a great race because they let you choose when to fight and when not to fight. (they also let you choose the battle order which can make a large difference)

The only down side to them is they have very little that will take out a large fighter carrier.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

Six_Of_One

Post#8 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:20 pm

I never understood the Darkwings config. From what i remember of Star Trek the Darkwing was much bigger than the Nova of the Feds.

The biggest drawback of the Darkwing is its fuel tank, so you need to plan to be able to refuel it with another ship like a white falcon.

Normally when i discover a cloaking race heading my way, or already snooping around i drop small minefields then blow them all out so they overlap to slow their progress. Then the cubes fly past them and start hitting their planets and bases, it tends to make them withdraw :P

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Six_Of_One

Post#9 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:18 am

btw, don't forget this hidden gem, "Donovans at circus-maximus".
Was reconstructed to save this site until someone hears from donovan again. Couldn't afford to lose the information on this site :wink:

http://donovan.circus-maximus.com/

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#10 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:57 am

Six_Of_One wrote:btw, don't forget this hidden gem, "Donovans at circus-maximus".
Was reconstructed to save this site until someone hears from donovan again. Couldn't afford to lose the information on this site :wink:

http://donovan.circus-maximus.com/
Actually I heard from Donovan back around Christmas and am in the process of rebuilding the site now. When it's ready for a beta test, I'll be launching it at a new domain instead of the existing subdomain here. More soon.
Regards,
][avok

Hawkeye

Post#11 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Race selection really comes down to a few basic things - your playing style, race familiarity and the game config. Personally I like the 4 x minelaying bonus and free fighters of the Robots, also the Birdmen Darkwing is one of the best ships in the game. If the Borg are left to their own devices for too long, they can end up being unstoppable over time, and the pirates can be crippling to an inexperienced adversary.

A few things I've picked up over the years include

- Never send your MCBRs into crystal webs, even on a rescue mission. Better to cut your losses and go find someone else to harass.

- The Birdmen can go toe to toe with the Colonies when the ESB is 0, or the Lizards at any time.

- Picking up someone else's game can sometimes be more trouble than it's worth.

- It's better to build 1 effective ship, than 2 ineffective ships.

- If you're going to lose a ship, make sure the other guy loses at least 1 ship as well.

- Borg are seriously weak prior to building cubes

- A few crystal minefields and Rubies can keep a large enemy fleet preoccupied for an extended period of time.

- Ion storms really aren't that big a deal to the Birds, but Biocides, Gorbies and Golems are.

- Play races that reflect your own style - aggressive / defensive / cooperative / brute force / stealth etc

Captain Blood

Post#12 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Regarding the strenght of the races.

1: Lizard, no doubt about that. If played good they should be able to fight at least 2 races simultaniusly. If played by a less experienced commander they are still reasonable strong.

2: Cyborg - unfortunently they need to survive relatively unharmed to turn 35-40 to become truly powerfull. It often takes an experienced commander to do make sure they do that, since they are likely to be killed on sight, when they try to expand all over the universe.

The best races to start playing VGA with is the 3 carries Races. They are all quite strong and easy to manage.

The weakest race is the facist and no beginner should take them. Because even with an experienced commander they are likely to get beaten, as they have no real ships who can fight.

In general the cloaking races is stronger when the opponents are less experienced. As the usually don´t lay many minefields or have trouble predicting moves of enemy ships they can not see.
Regards,

Captain Blood

lord vinny

Post#13 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:16 pm

well, in nf53 you are fighting feds and liz..thats alot for anyone to deal with..and then u start talking smack to more races(like me) for doin trades with them...so imop you were being too agressive in that game..birds are all bout stealth and eveyone in our game knew early on where u were and what u were doin..

im still a rather new player also..havnt tried out all the races either..especially cloakers..ive played the faschist afew times but thats all..i do know that for non carrier races u have to outbuild the others from the start..

ive also learned that 2 games is really my limit..and never play the same race in two games at once :oops: ...u end up making alot of mistakes..

i think it does help to try out all the races atleast once...ive played the colonials in afew games also and now im fighting them in a game and i know what im up against.

im really wanting to try either the pirates or birds in my next game..i like the sneaky/stealth approach too...but i think ill only be able to do 1 game at a time if i play those races..

fpr what its worth i think your a good player man..i think if your gonna talk smack in your scum reports(which i miss btw)..u need to be careful what u give away...and id have alittle more tact untill your ready to lay down the thunder..dont piss off alot of ppl right away and think u can go it alone against all your neighbors...im not happy with myself in that game either and i had to make peace with afew races to stay alive..gotta choose your battles in other words..

those are my two cents
lord-v
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Vodenkugels

Post#14 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:36 pm

I agree whole heartedly- I ha d a pretty good starting position but i let Ol' lizzie get built up without making him do alot of internal protection. I never really had him on his heels or at least looking backwards. Granted he got in bed with acouple of ppl right away. But i still should have pressed him.Then I shoulda snuck thru to your side and hasseled him from there. The feds had their hands full to the south- but i new his home world after turn5 or6 and should have also sent a few ships there directly to keep him thwarted.I then fell into the fighter mode and waited til' i thought i had enough of a fleet to press on two fronts. Meanwhile both of 'em had no backdoor to protect --Enter Borgie--Thats where i get lost because nobody but second place should be helping the borgs after turn25-30.

As far as the space scum daily goes- i'd be curious to know what i gave away. But i too can't wait to fire it up again in a game where there might be a little more feedback. Oh well--- you guy's have your hands full cracking that alliance- I get to be a thorn for alittle while then I'll just vanish onto some forgotten planet and see where the fireworks start next.

I learned alot --but i too had too many games going to tackle a cloaker-Two's the limit of this Self-employed Hombre

Thanks for the ass-whooping it builds character

casebolt

Post#15 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:55 pm

Who would betray you first, Enemy or a Ally?

Return to “Intel”