The Diplomacy thing...

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Vodenkugels

The Diplomacy thing...

Post#1 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:40 pm

Alright boys-- As i'm still here and still bored waiting for LORD ][avok to start a few NF's
Give me a little insight on Diplomacy.
What the hell is it?
How does it work?
Any hints?
Some does Some don'ts?
Things to strive for? Good trades?
What's the benefit of a NAP if your both gonna meet later?

Just lonely :cry: Looking for a little insight from all you experts.

C'mon loosen up those fingers--ya know ya want to..
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

FLETCH

Post#2 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:23 pm

One thing I would suggest is to NOT confuse a NAP with a border agreement. The way I see it, a Non Aggression Pact means that you will not fight against one another. Either ever, or for a specified period of time to be negotiated.

A Border Agreement is an agreed line between two races or objects that each party agree to NOT cross without prior notification/permission. This does not mean that the opponents involved will not be aggressive towards each other elsewhere.

I personally do not see a that NAP automatically means there is an alliance. Of course others may beg to differ on that point. :wink:
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

casebolt

Post#3 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:33 am

Its is a Grey area by agreement.

Casebolt...

Gilgamesh

Post#4 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:35 am

FLETCH wrote:One thing I would suggest is to NOT confuse a NAP with a border agreement. The way I see it, a Non Aggression Pact means that you will not fight against one another. Either ever, or for a specified period of time to be negotiated.

A Border Agreement is an agreed line between two races or objects that each party agree to NOT cross without prior notification/permission. This does not mean that the opponents involved will not be aggressive towards each other elsewhere.

I personally do not see a that NAP automatically means there is an alliance. Of course others may beg to differ on that point. :wink:
Hmmm - I always like to have a border agreement along with a NAP - saves misunderstandings later on.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

casebolt

Post#5 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Grey Area!

FLETCH

Post#6 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:07 pm

It's only grey if you don't negotiate properly.....
FLETCH

casebolt

Post#7 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Negotiate properly = Grey area !! \:D/

Vodenkugels

Post#8 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:04 pm

I'm just probing to see how much diplomacy is really used? and when? and for how long?. NAP's until growth or expansion is impossible? I guess the longer one holds off aggression the better the odds someone else won't. wouldn't waiting just put you into the defensive mode waiting for the inevitable attack..........

Man do i need a new game.......... after all it is a WAR game
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

FLETCH

Post#9 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:46 pm

It IS a war game but diplomacy can be helpful in several different ways. Say you spot a prime target, but have someone at your back that prevents you from committing to wiping out your target. A NAP or border agreement gives you "some" freedom to pursue your main objective ie. wipe out your other neighbour.

Or if you are a Xtal player a cloaker in your hands is a mouth watering prize. You may negotiate with another player and get hold of a few but not necessarily ally with them. The same can be said for any race who wants something from any other. The EE often have intel for sale for the right price. The Liz have hissing, Fed refit, etc. The list goes on.

None of these things are available without diplomacy.

You don't need to be friends with everyone of course, war will come from all eventually, but you don't need to piss everyone off either.
FLETCH

Hawkeye

Post#10 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:39 am

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggy' until you can find a big enough rock :D

Gavan

Post#11 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:55 am

In most games I tend to find that you will locate one race near you and then find the other one a couple or 5 turns later.

At this point you have to decide if either race is a major threat to you or a major advantage to you. After that it is normally a good idea to either have a NAP and / or a border agreement with this race. This leaves you free and open to deal with the other race without having to worry about your exposed backside.

Without some form of diplomacy the above is not possible and you may find that the two other races have decided to split your space between themselves and you are in a world of pain.
Just cause I am paranoid does not mean they are not out to get me.

casebolt

Post#12 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:03 am

I like to ask someone for a NAP and Sneak up and STAB THEM IN THE BACK < YAAA Baby! :shock: Then say OH sorry my Wife did my TRN while I was outa town,
and then,,,, after all seems well,, Ill send them a Message asking them if they need some Duraninum or something like that and,, STAB Them in the BACK AGAIN!!!! WOOT WOOT!! take dat!!! POW POW!! :shock

Casebolt..........

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#13 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:19 am

Mental note to self : No NAPs with Casebolt - Check

Shardin5

Post#14 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:39 am

BitMask wrote:Mental note to self : No NAPs with Casebolt - Check
As somebody that has played with and against Casebolt. His post was tongue and cheek.
Casebolt is AGGRESSIVE and goes in with Winning every game as the objective yes, but agreements are honored. Only time I have had a problem with Casebolt(Granted it turned into a big one) niether one of us new that one player in the game (Mike W, was playing 2 Races, Klingons and Cylon's) in the game.
Things got out of hand as we were both going for the win and were being played by a cheating player, making agreements trying to keep both of his Race's in the game.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

FLETCH

Post#15 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:47 pm

Mike W has a lot to answer for. That cheater ruined several games... :?
FLETCH

Return to “Intel”