wierd echoview problem....

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

lord vinny

wierd echoview problem....

Post#1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 pm

hey yall,
im having problems with echoview and wondering if anyone had a idea what the deal is...

ok..so im having more problems with aq4 game again but this time its not winplan its echoview...at first i had problems using the "show next trn" feature when my allies trn was loaded along with mine..ehcoview would close as soon as i hit the button..i also had problems looking at some of the fleet lists and other map features..
then acouple of trns ago the game wont load at all...my other games load fine however and all the features work..so i thought it was just my laptop not being able to run it..(ive got alot of ships, mines, commands ,etc.)

but i just put it all on my new desktop which has more then enough memory to deal with it and the same problems...echoview closes as soon as i try to load the trn.

so right now im thinking there is a corrupt file somewhere in there messing things up...im gonna try and reload eveything anew and start over to see if that works but i dont want to lose all my info for the game..

any ideas or help would be great :D
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Shardin5

Post#2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:45 pm

Look in your Echoview folder and you should see a file called rebuild.exe
use the rebuild command to fix this game data.
If you don't have the rebuild.exe file in your echoview folder redownload version 1.2.24 and you will find it in that zip file.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

FLETCH

Post#3 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:40 am

If Shardins suggestions don't work for you then Bitmask is the resident EchoView Guru.

If he doesn't know it then it's not worth knowing :D
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Cardno

Post#4 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:12 am

And because he's in South Africa, if he is busy you can offer to pay him a couple of dollars for his time, and it's like....

ONE MILLION RAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So he is bound to be motivated to help.......

lord vinny

Post#5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Shardin5 wrote:Look in your Echoview folder and you should see a file called rebuild.exe
If you don't have the rebuild.exe file in your echoview folder redownload version 1.2.24 and you will find it in that zip file.
yes i do have it in the folder but i dont know how to use it? :oops: ?
i clicked on it but it gave me a error msg about wrong game name or no game( i forget exactly)found.. :?

ive not had the chance to reload everything seperate and see if it works like that though..ill try to get to it this weekend..
really all id like to keep is my notes from winplan and my history from echoview..and ill reload the last several trns if needed to get that back..(i think thatll work right?)

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#6 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:47 am

Hi Lord Vinny

I know the error that you talk about. The closing down of EV when you click on a Fleet View or something. Unfortunately I have not found a solution that fixes this rare problem 100% of the time.

Don't use the rebuild bat file. You will want to click on it from Windows Explorer and you can't do that :)
Rather call it from the command promt (Being a VGAP player you should be able to do that) Click Start, Run, type in CMD and hit Enter. CD to your planets folder (eg. cd c:\plan1)
Type in EchoView /B YourGameNameThatYouNamedItInsideEchoView (eg. echoview /B game1). Now if you used spaces in your game name inside EV, then try putting the name inside " ".

If this does not help and you still cannot open your game, then make a backup of your game folder and start deleting stuff. This is the fun part :twisted:
You will see many filenames in your game folder (eg. vpwork1) that end in a race number. (1=Feds, 2=Liz, etc.) First delete all the files with the racenumbers of your allies. (If your ally are the Feds then remove bdata1.dat, bdata1.dis, config1.dis)

Open EV and see if it works. If at any stage things go worst than your current state, copy the files back from your backup that you made. Also after removing your ally data, run the rebuild command in Echoview again as described above.

At this stage if you still do not have an improvement, it might be better to create the game in a new folder and then try to get some of your history/data from this folder.
The easiest would be to reload your last turns (or all if you have time) in order again and each time opening EchoView on the new turn. If you have your EV game setting like I describe in my EV guide then you just need to go to EchoView each time after you ran the unpack from Winplan and your game data will be refreshed (See the stratagy pages here on Circus-Maximus to find the guide)

With regards to your Winplan Notes, it's been many year since I last your that old client app. Rather migrate to a real client :) Like JVC, VPA, PCC et. What you might want to try is copy your EV notes from your old game folder NOTES*.DAT where 8 is your racenumber. Perhaps what you are looking for is in there (In Echoview at least)

Good luck

Havok
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 am

lord vinny wrote:
Shardin5 wrote:Look in your Echoview folder and you should see a file called rebuild.exe
i clicked on it but it gave me a error msg about wrong game name or no game( i forget exactly)found.. :?

ive not had the chance to reload everything seperate and see if it works like that though..ill try to get to it this weekend..
really all id like to keep is my notes from winplan and my history from echoview..and ill reload the last several trns if needed to get that back..(i think thatll work right?)
Are you sure you have the latest release of the EV EXE file and have you contacted the author?

http://www.nefo.med.uni-muenchen.de/~echoview/
Regards,
][avok

Shardin5

Post#8 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:46 am

lord vinny wrote:

Sorry I missed this one.
Like Bitmask says you need to run repair.exe from a dos command window. Were you can put in the path to the game, c:\winplan\vpworks1
if that is the working directory for the problem game. Its hard sometimes to remember this is still mostly dos based after all these years.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

Zeus

Post#9 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:59 am

If i remember right, you has not to set the path to the game as parameter but the name of the game.

lord vinny

Post#10 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:49 pm

shoot...and i thought this would be hard to fix :P

ok...im gonna try it out and see how it goes..been really busyt latly and dont know if/when ill have the time but ill let yall know if i get'er goin again..

and yes i do have the latest version(unless one has come out this year) and no i havnt contacted the author...i may do that if i still have problems..

im thinking its just that damned AQ bug popping up to say hello again...no offense to the author( was it gil or the other klingon?) i think its a great game but that bug is still hiding in here somewhere :shock:

thanks for the help guys..
vinny

lord vinny

Post#11 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:54 pm

Shardin5 wrote:
lord vinny wrote:

Sorry I missed this one.
Like Bitmask says you need to run repair.exe from a dos command window. Were you can put in the path to the game, c:\winplan\vpworks1
if that is the working directory for the problem game. Its hard sometimes to remember this is still mostly dos based after all these years.
i kinda figured that was the case...i just barely started into dos in school before we got into windows 95 so i usually forget about it...i think i can get it goin..just gotta wack my brain afew times to loosen up the rust around the dos files.. ](*,) :D

FLETCH

Post#12 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:55 pm

Looks like those of us who played in AQ1 were blessed...
FLETCH

667 The NEIGHBOUR of the BEAST!

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:08 pm

Echoview? VPA does everything I need.... :firedevil:
Regards,
][avok

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:37 am

Havok wrote:Echoview? VPA does everything I need.... :firedevil:
But not as good as Echoview :nlmda: :nlmda:

Feels like deja vu. Did we not have this same set of comments before :wink:

Cherek

Post#15 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:25 am

BitMask wrote:
Havok wrote:Echoview? VPA does everything I need.... :firedevil:
But not as good as Echoview :nlmda: :nlmda:

Feels like deja vu. Did we not have this same set of comments before :wink:
They do say the mind is the first to go as you get older.

Who where you talking about?
The line below is true.
The line above is false.

Cherek

Return to “Intel”