Strategy hints

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

B A N E

Post#61 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:36 am

On Turn 2, the first two planets scouted by the free ships should
give you the information you need on where to deploy extra mines
for the minerals you will need for early builds.

More later.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

Shardin5

Post#62 » Mon May 24, 2010 11:28 am

wasp wrote:The birds, of course :)
I just wanted to make sure. Depending on your nearby planets, which you should see know. You may are may not have planets that have mining rates or minerals that will work for you know. You can make up your mind between another LDSF to haul away those Minerals, or, a Positron Swifty, should be built to start scouting looking at planets further away. A X-ray/Gamma Resolute should be made early, before turn 10, if at all possible. To many people build Xray Swifty's and they end up not being able to do any thing with them. Positron Swifty's are much more useful.

Do not ignore Swifty's, not to many(at least 5) but get those buggers out there. Birds are all about intel and fighting on thier terms. The more intel Early the better off. Swifty's only have 1 engine, arm them with Beams that will destroy a Frieghter, its better to destroy a ship, than having a wounded ship you can't tow off, use Swifty's even with Positron beams to trigger Glory ships.

Use your X-ray/Gamma, 2 engine ships, as your caputer Frieghter ships.
Before you make to many X-ray/Gamma ships, make sure you don't have the Tholians as a unfriendly nearby neighbor.

Unfriendly Tholian early,(and this is ONLY for a unfriendly Tholian) White Falcon Cruisers, with big beams and no Torp tubes are great. Yes only 4 beams, but first, Amphian planet, upgrade Hulls Tech3, engines Tech Q7 or TW level, ignore the money on torps Tech levels and you don't have to upgrade Hull's to Tech 5 or Tech8, saves lots of money, and you can make them early, and they stay fueled long enough to sweep away or sweep out, and "if" you lose one, it wont comeback and bite you, if you Tech Hulls to 5 Fearless can do the same, has 3 turns less fuel though when in a Web, usefulness of a at least one Fearless though vs the tholian is laying Mines as he lays webs, to keep him on his toes, and covers your White Falcons with Mines. No Tholian nearby, go ahead and ignore or make just a few of the Whites, and arm them with torps.
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference.
The US Marines don't have that problem.
President Ronald Reagan

wasp

Post#63 » Tue May 25, 2010 5:27 pm

B A N E wrote:On Turn 2, the first two planets scouted by the free ships should
give you the information you need on where to deploy extra mines
for the minerals you will need for early builds.

More later.
Looks like some good news

On of the planets is a 50000 siliconoid monarchy temp 50, and EV says it's the max natives for the planet.

The other is a 41 temp world with 11400 Dur and 80 rate, low on other minerals....

The native world gives me 2580 mcs on the tax turn. For safetax is 420 clans

I think i need to take 2580 clans to the native world.

And 200 clans, 200 supplies, 700 Mcs for the other planet.

What do you think?

ricardo
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

B A N E

Post#64 » Tue May 25, 2010 9:00 pm

80% with loads of dur!?
That's 160 dur a turn at 200 mines which is sweet early.
That solves your early dur problem.

5M Silicon Monarchy
Undeveloped produces 7% safetax = $420
I might overload the planet for a heavy tax and then pull all but 420.
That would give you the extra cash quickly, but it is two trips with an
LDSF.

Not bad.
Understanding is a three-edged sword.
Your side,
their side,
and the truth.

wasp

Post#65 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:30 am

Started in a bad position but got compensated somewhat.

So, i have a LF with TW... since i still have 20k Mcs i think i should go with 200 clans, 300 supplies, 1000 Mcs to build 110 fab, 100 min immediately. Wait 1 turn and bring 160 Dur and supplies to the HW and start a route there. On the other hand i might assign a lower engine LF to the task. The planet is very near the HW. The planet has a good temp. Should i bring more clans so that they can grow?

What should i build now? I have 2 more planets that are being explored by the 2 start ships. I must take many clans to the nearby clusters. Should i build a ST and send it full of clans and supplies and mcs to the nearest cluster, or should i build another LF? Or as Shardin5 sugested to build some scouts to go ahead of the freighters?

Since i still have lots of money, should i invest right away at it? Or should i try to colonise the other clusters?

ricardo
"Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study Logistics" in Red Storm Rising from Tom Clancy

Siberian Snake

Post#66 » Wed May 26, 2010 4:35 pm

First, DO NOT build "lower warp" freighters. Never. W9 LF will do your job.
Don't listen to BANE and other experts - their discussions is about fine points, you are new, stick with common strategy. Only build LFs with w9, no STF, no MF.
I would build at this point a scout and then - either another scout or another scout or another LF, everything with w9. All ships should be moving every turn, don't wait ! Remeber that your primary task at the beginning of the game is to move as many clans as far from the HW as possible.

wasp

Post#67 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:01 pm

But if i send in the scouts first the LF with clans will be "later". I mean, if i send the LF with clans right away, it colonise faster, right?

ricardo

Shardin5

Post#68 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:07 pm

And as a Bird getting out and gather INTEL, is more important than most.
Build those Swifty's early, scout so you know were you want to expand to right away. Let the Swifty's do the planet locating and, let the LDSF's, move to those Key planets with clans, minerals and money to expand properly.
President Ronald Reagan

Shardin5

Post#69 » Wed May 26, 2010 5:40 pm

wasp wrote:But if i send in the scouts first the LF with clans will be "later". I mean, if i send the LF with clans right away, it colonise faster, right?

ricardo
Is it better to have a LDSF, flying blindly, and "when" the LDSF finds that important planet, will you have dropped to much before even getting there, to take full advantage of it? That LDSF was flying blindly along, you may end up, having to bring it home, load up more clans or money or minerals, or send a different LDSF, out that way, instead of expanding in a different direction.
Or is it better to have your LDSF's going out with a purpose, knowing exactly what to drop and drop where? Remember you are the Birds, in this one. Your only advantage is Intel gathering and fighting ships on your terms with Cloaked Intercepts. As the Birds, can't afford, not to expand quickly and grow as fast as you can, properly.
President Ronald Reagan

wasp

Post#70 » Wed May 26, 2010 6:31 pm

Humm...

BANE, what do you have to say?

ricardo

Akalabeth

Post#71 » Wed May 26, 2010 7:24 pm

I think people are over thinking things. Just send out the freighters, drop clans and supplies as appropriate. Find a good planet, drop more clans. Run out of clans, head back for more.

Birds may thrive on intel but sending out a scout ship isn't going to give them any more intel than anyone else, it's just going to mean their freighter gets there a turn later.

Scouts should be scouting the enemy in my opinion. Send 'em out, drop a clan on each planet, and keep going until you find someone. When you find 'em, scout 'em out. While you're doing this, your empire is developing and when you have a target you can plan your attack. Or negotiate a treaty or whatever course of action you want to take.

Maybe build one freighter to hit each 'chain' of planets around you homeworld, then pump out some scouts? And send them hither. Then back to freighters or whatever is needed.

Though in practice I probably don't follow my own advice.

Shardin5

Post#72 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:33 pm

Its not so much overthinking, its helping play a certain race, and the Birds are a very challenging Race to play. Swifty's have use Early, mid and Late game. Birds need to get out and scout early. Scouts set off with nothing but clans, and pick fuel up as they go, all they do is scout and probe and never have to return, they can wait for the Fleet to catch up with them.

If he was a Tholian, Opals and Ruby's early.

Klingon D7's.

Tholians, Klingon's and Birds are my main races.
All ships that are useful early and late

Building your 1st LDSF, 1st ship, or early is great as the Birds. Birds need to get out, scouting ahead of the lead LDSF, in multiple Directions, to find key Native planets or Key Mineral planets to either build another LDSF, or as the 1st LDSF returns to reload it, to grow certain planets early.

Birds have ZERO, economy or mineral bonus's, unlike the other race's. Other races have either a way to get a money bonus, mineral bonus, cheap fighters, or can Steal, or web themselves in for protection. Birds have none of this. Intel, and fighting on there terms, and FAST expansion are what the birds are about. Birds have to be played with an AGGRESSIVE expansion mentality.
President Ronald Reagan

lord vinny

Post#73 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:18 pm

:coffee: just passing through and read some of this..ill point out that the early game is my weakest point..but its not from not knowing how to get started..i just always end up trying to grab everything atonce and over-stretch myself in the first few trns....lol..u should be greedy yes but learn to get the most outta whats nearby and stick to a plan..dont worry so much about what others are doin unless they are breathing down your neck right off the bat.

anyway, to add to what others have said...the basic overall strategy for most races are the same at first..but as its been pointed out..the birds dont have any advantages to help them get goin...so itll really come down to what planets near you have that you can take advantage of and who else is nearby that could ruin your planning...if youve alot of planets then id suggest goin for the freighters for the first several trns..and if you cant afford a lf then go for a cheaper scout and send it in a diff direction..if you dont have alot of planets(or say a cluster afew trns away)..a cloaking scout is your best bet..DONT EVER FLY ABUNCH OF SHIPS OUT IN THE OPEN AT THE START OF THE GAME..EVERYONE WILL KNOW WHERE U ARE.. and for a bird thats a bad thing..its suppose to be the other way around..
once youve gotten few freighters out and found some good worlds(or have found a neighbor nearby) then go for the scouts and warships..economy is a key to playing this game..especially for the birds!
once u learn to master it the rest is sorta easy...easier atleast.. \:D/
yuck!...Who's got the cat breath?

Shardin5

Post#74 » Wed May 26, 2010 10:38 pm

lord vinny wrote::coffee: DONT EVER FLY ABUNCH OF SHIPS OUT IN THE OPEN AT THE START OF THE GAME..EVERYONE WILL KNOW WHERE U ARE.. and for a bird thats a bad thing..its suppose to be the other way around..
\:D/
Thats why the Bird uses Swifty's they CLOAK and have a LONG range while cloaking
President Ronald Reagan

wasp

Post#75 » Thu May 27, 2010 4:57 am

Shardin5 wrote:
lord vinny wrote::coffee: DONT EVER FLY ABUNCH OF SHIPS OUT IN THE OPEN AT THE START OF THE GAME..EVERYONE WILL KNOW WHERE U ARE.. and for a bird thats a bad thing..its suppose to be the other way around..
\:D/
Thats why the Bird uses Swifty's they CLOAK and have a LONG range while cloaking
But if i start in a 5 planet cluster and the next cluster is 2-3 turns away, which is the case ,I must move LF or STF in that direction with clans, right?

The movement with scouts have logic, since i can scout and move the freighters directly to those planets which have natives/minerals.

But if i move the freighters latter on, there's a bigger chance someone appears and detects the freighters.

And i have to wait about 5-6 turns to start building the first freighters, since i have to build the scouts first. Adding 2-3 turns to that, only on turn 7-8 have the freighters on those planets... If i send the freighter first, it can start colonising immediately.

You are saying that the birds must remain hidden, but they also need the freighters to expand andi only have 4 planets plus the HW in 1-turn vicinity.
All the other planets are 2-3 turns away....

If i build scouts early, when do i start building the freighters? and how many freighters should i build then?

ricardo

Return to “Intel”