Can the Computer player be enabled/disabled...

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

JonnyDoH

Can the Computer player be enabled/disabled...

Post#1 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:36 pm

So, I was looking at the computer player options-- Can you enable the computer player as a sort of "vacation mode", go off for a couple of weeks and then come back and disable it? I.e. does the disable function allow you to pick up later on down the road? Or is enabling the computer player a one shot deal where there is no coming back?

Havok
Site Admin

Re: Can the Computer player be enabled/disabled...

Post#2 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:41 pm

JonnyDoH wrote:So, I was looking at the computer player options-- Can you enable the computer player as a sort of "vacation mode", go off for a couple of weeks and then come back and disable it? I.e. does the disable function allow you to pick up later on down the road? Or is enabling the computer player a one shot deal where there is no coming back?
Unfortunately no. I have to manually do it....

For example if you setup the computer player (the q) and you miss 4 turns, you're out of the game. AutoTroll for all it's strengths has a lot of weaknesses as well. It's to old in it's current version and the development hasn't kept up with the times.

I can do things for you manually by using SpaceLord, however I'm going to need specifics from you before you make that decision.

Last but not least, you're probably not going to like what the computer player will do with your turn when it takes over. Just a tip to keep in mind.
Regards,
][avok

JonnyDoH

Post#3 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:46 pm

Good to know. Thanks, Havok!

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#4 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:42 am

What was that poem in GI Jane?
"I never shaw a wild thing like a Computer Player"??? :lol:

High Command

Post#5 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:24 am

Qapla!

Thought about making a new topic before I red this one...but it's perfectly placed here.

Currently I think about how to handle players requests about a game delay and one option is, giving them the opportunity to activate a CP for a defined number of turns.

I'm using SpaceLord as usual CP to fill the empty slots. Therefor I have written a small batch, which is executed before host.exe runs, so the CP-TRNs are there when auxhost1.ini runs. By defining some small variables, I made sure that SpaceLord only runs for these races, which do not have a TRN in form more than 2 turns, no matter if the race is assigned to a human player or not.
I know that Autotroll gives the command option for players to activate "Q"...so far, so good. "Q" runs in auxhost1.ini, but only if NO TRN for the race is in.
Hm, in my case the TRNs are already in because SpaceLord runs before auxhost1.ini.
So, if we could make it that Spacelord runs after Q in the auxhost1.ini, I'm sure we could fix that.
Q would produce a TRN as the players substitute (activated by the player) and SpaceLord would not produce a TRN because the one of Q is already there, but would produce TRNs for the missing rest.

But how can this be done? I'm no programmer, so has anyone an idea?
Command shell in auxhost?

I would accept Q in this case, because solving the situation has more advantages then the disadvantage of a cheating CP.

Any comments are welcome.

Matt
www.high-command.net

Havok
Site Admin

Post#6 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:19 am

It would have been nice if AutoTroll had been updated through the years and allowed to evolve into something more than it is. Unfortunately time is passing it by...

What we as hosts need is a modern hosting client that will run on these newer operating systems. AutoTroll's scripting system can do a lot, however it's poorly documented (overall) and the host needs to know something, he can't just setup a site and run. It needs to evolve as well.

It would be nice if some of the CP's were updated as well. I wouldn't let The Q run one of my turns to save life in the Echo Cluster. :)
Regards,
][avok

albatross

Post#7 » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:14 pm

High Command wrote: But how can this be done? I'm no programmer, so has anyone an idea?
Command shell in auxhost?
Basically the auxhost1/2.ini files are the same as regular batch files and most dos commands work. A simple "file exist" check for example

IF NOT EXIST player1.trn >DO SOMETHING<

works fine. More complex structures however usually require variables, which is something that doesn't seem to work.

High Command

Post#8 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:38 am

Qapla!
Havok wrote: I wouldn't let The Q run one of my turns to save life in the Echo Cluster. :)
I would no CP run my turn ;-), not SpaceLord, nor Q, but it's better than being taken out of the game or miss the turns.
The main thing is, that players can activate Q by themselves whenever they want. As long as they know what they get, I have no Problem with this.
I also worked it out that SpaceLord can be activated by the players, but this takes major effort (and probably my CPU is not fast enough, so I went for Q).
albatross wrote: Basically the auxhost1/2.ini files are the same as regular batch files and most dos commands work. A simple "file exist" check for example
IF NOT EXIST player1.trn >DO SOMETHING<
I tried, exspecially the "if exist playerX.trn goto ...." command, but it failed. But I will check that again, maybe I missed to enter the correct path or sth. else.

Matt
www.high-command.net

albatross

Post#9 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 8:32 am

High Command wrote:Qapla!
I tried, exspecially the "if exist playerX.trn goto ...." command, but it failed. But I will check that again, maybe I missed to enter the correct path or sth. else.
So one also can't refer to another point in the auxhost.ini files... My guess is that the files are parsed by host.exe line by line, so the memory gets cleared each time the next line is processed... but only Tim would really know that.

Instead using the GOTO and jump to a particular block of commands, you would have to use the "if exist" check for every single one. So instead of

if exist playerX.trn goto A
@A:
command1
command2

you could try this:

if exist playerX.trn command1
if exist playerX.trn command2

albatross

Post#10 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:06 pm

Looks like you also cannot call other batch files from an auxhost.ini. But.. as things can never be too complicated..:roll:, you can call a program which calls a batch file... so.. the tool auxbat might help you accomplish the task:

- Put auxbat.exe into the hostdir (where host.exe is)
- Create a batch file in the hostdir that does all the needed spacelord stuff (for example sl.bat)
- Add "auxbat sl.bat" into auxhost1.ini at the appropriate position

Now when host runs the auxhost1 phase, auxbat will kick in and call sl.bat, in which you can place any regular dos structure.

Return to “Intel”