Fleets FleetsFleets...

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Vodenkugels

Fleets FleetsFleets...

Post#1 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:51 am

Alright Boys, here's a question to get the juices flowing and a newbie climb another rung.
Donovan's discusses fleets, (great manual-I nicknamed 'The Bible') but only uses one race example.
WHAT"S EVERYBODY"S FAVORITE FLEET COMBOS FOR THE VARIOUS RACES? THEIR FLEXIBILITY? POTENCY? Phew that's a mouthful :?

Well.....?
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Vodenkugels

Post#2 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:56 am

Alright excuse the typos-just came i from near 0 F temps as i was out chasing poor defenseless deer in the backwoods. Deer 100% ME 0%Go figure...
Anyway the fingers are warmer.
'Help a newbie climb another rung'.
Practice Hard Fight Easy and WIN
Practice Easy Fight Hard and DIE

Rimstalker

Post#3 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:14 am

Darkwings. And more Darkwings. All on cloaked intercept :).

Most races, there is not too much choice in the matter.

Lizard, I guess, you have to make up your mind about your T-Rex and Mado ratio, Borg needs to decide whether he wants to mix up his game by throwing in a couple of Annis (a lot cheaper in the beginning), Xtal always hopes that he won't have to fight.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Hawkeye

Post#4 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Never used 'em, although I agree with Rimmer's comments above that for most races it's a no-brainer - just build and throw in the biggest ships you've got.

It's tricky trying to second-guess the battle order of your enemy fleet, therefore I usually try to bring more than enough ships to ensure the final battle is won.

Donovan

Post#5 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:00 am

Fleets depend on the race, and as others said - most races don't have an awful lot of options when it comes to fleets.

Feds can actually mix it up the most, with Nebulas (minelaying and minor combat), Diplomacies, Missouris, Kittyhawks and Novas. With the engine shield bonus on, skip the Missouris and most of the Novas, add loads of Thors and Kittyhawks. Don't forget to build some Missouris or Novas to take out bases.

Lizards: T-Rexes and Madonzillas. Saurians and LCCs for scouting, clandropping and towing ships to battlegroups.

Birds: Dark Wings and Resolutes. Swifthearts for scouting, White Falcons as refuelers and scouts that can tow (or lay mines), and Deth Specs as scouts that can tow or fight smallish ships.

Fascists: Coldpains and Deth Specs for scouting and raiding, combat is poppers plus Victorious'. Maybe Ill Winds as dedicated sweepers.

Privs: if it doesn't cloak and have gravitonic engines, forget it. With the exception of the Dwarfstar for sweeping.

Borg: Cubes. period.

Crystals: can mix it up somewhat. Only the Crystal Thunder and the Diamond Flame will do combat, but Rubies and Emeralds can lay massive webs.

Empire: Gorbies for combat, SSDs for imperial assault and minor combat. Maybe some super star cruisers for minor combat, and the odd frigate for minelaying.

Robots: Cat's Paws for laying massive mines, combat is handled by Instrumentalities and Golems.

Rebels: Patriots and Rushes. Falcons for long distance RGA (so probably not operating from the battlegroup but from way behind). Add Tranquilities for minelaying because Rebels suck at minesweeping, they have to counter-mine.

Colonies: Patriots and Virgos. Add Cobols for fuel and Tranquilities for minelaying because Colonies kick ass at minesweeping, they will not be countermined. You could add a Gemini for fighterbuilding, personally I prefer the Virgos to build some fighters in enemy territory.

Cardno

Post#6 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:27 am

Rebels suck at minesweeping eh.....

Here is the thing:

1. Rushes are compartively cheap to build compared to Golems etc. What does this mean? You build more of them, and / or you build more of other ships. A Gemini has four beams, so does a tranq. In the games I am playing, i've got a truckload of ships. Hey - you have falcons to help your economy grow! (and self-rgaing).

2. A rush can take two mine hits (if it has plenty of supplies). Who needs to minesweep (unless its the xtals or bots).

3. If the bots or xtals are around - you have the iron lady. What a great Ship. If you have to clear the way with minelaying - mate! you have the handiest little ship around - the cygnus.

4. Naw, i'm full of it - the rebels are hopeless..no-one should EVER play them........

wyvern

Post#7 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:39 am

For what it is worth:

Early Game

The fleet composition is dependent upon you enemy as well as your circumstances. The lizard facing a an enemy fighter race must build a 2 to 3 ratio of T-Rex/Madon. However, if the Lizard faces a Fed, Fascist or Bird threat, then he can build TRex and put off the Madons till mid game.

As the Borg I would almost never waste my time with an Anni with the exception of one or two dictated by a threat and immediate circumstances. The Borg is an end game race and will need the Bio to win.

Obviously, as the game matures every race ends up building the biggest gun. However, it is the early game which dictates whether you make it to the end game. In the early game you must build the cheapest and best fleet available which enable you to defeat your most immediate threats efficiently with the least cost you to you.

My thoughts anyway.

wyvern

Mika

Post#8 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:24 pm

Hawkeye wrote: It's tricky trying to second-guess the battle order of your enemy...
this game has a battle order??? ;)

STOP talking about things so many people don't understand. That is the only reason why average/good players like me can kick a$$es before getting the own one kicked by real geeks!

So for everyone else again here some basic truths.
No, there is no battle order.
Such a think like "cloaked intercept" does not exist.
Scooping webmines makes absolutely no sense.
There is literally NO way to lay a minefield inside another one.
RGAing own planets can never win a game.
The world is flat.
If women should become pilots the sky would be pink.
I am smart.

Got it?
Oderint dum metuant.
---------------------------------------------
Bella gerant alii, tu, felix Austria, nube!

JonnyDoH

Post#9 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:54 pm

Cyborg: Your main tools of the trade are probes, Fireclouds and Cubes.

You're going to get a lot of mileage out of Biocides, but in the end, Anni's are WAY cheaper (think of the fighter cost). If you can't afford a cube, build a freighter or probe. Use probes for scouting, transferring cash and the like. Be prepared to lose them.

Always build at least one merlin-- you're going to run out of Duranium and moly quick by making cubes.

Robots: Instru's and Golems are your main, end game fighting ships. Cat's Paws are your one and only minelayers-- great in the beginning since they can do double duty as armed freighters. Don't discout the Q Tanker-- that is your fighter production ship. Also make a Pawn or two for scouting purposes.

Robots are the metallic reflection of the Colonies-- where the Colonies can sweep mines with fighters, the Robots can sweep mines with their 4x minefields. Not as effective, but it works if your Cats Paws are decked out with mark 7-8 torpedo bays.

Hawkeye

Post#10 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:10 pm

wyvern wrote: As the Borg I would almost never waste my time with an Anni....
Even though the Annihilation costs about as much as a Bio to build, it does have a very useful role in the Borg fleet. After taking out a planet, it's able to make use of the minerals and cash to restock with torps / lay minefields, whereas the Bio needs a starbase in order to reload. An Annihilation working it's way through partially-developed remote sectors can typically perform better than the Bio.

Rimstalker

Post#11 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:24 pm

yup, a thumbs up for the Anni. Ask Gil. A pair of Annis (one mark4, one mark7) chewed through 3 viccies, 2 poppers (and had gotten popped twice I think) and a somewhat developed base, with the 2nd Anni living easily and rebuilding lots of torps from the debris and mcs on the planet.

Anni with 100 mark7 costs you 3.6k and is fully operational for quite a campaign (you can hyp in money if needs be), a Bio 15k, way more minerals and almost impossible to restock without chunneling around.

And versus max bases, they fare pretty much the same I think (too lazy to sim right now).
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Captain Blood

Post#12 » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:54 pm

I noticed some of you prefer Instrumentalities towards the autonoma as robot. That is strange as the cost in minerals is equal and the autonoma is much better than the instrumentality.

Instrumentality is always second choice toward the autonoma. The TL upgrade is a one time cost of app. 2000 MC.

Sometimes a instrumentality is enough to soften up a enemy carrier so it can in specific battle situations be better with the instrumentality, but in most situations the autonoma do a better job. Also the autonoma can build figthers in reasonable numbers.
Regards,

Captain Blood

Hawkeye

Post#13 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:45 pm

Captain Blood wrote:I noticed some of you prefer Instrumentalities towards the autonoma as robot. That is strange as the cost in minerals is equal and the autonoma is much better than the instrumentality.

Instrumentality is always second choice toward the autonoma. The TL upgrade is a one time cost of app. 2000 MC.

Sometimes a instrumentality is enough to soften up a enemy carrier so it can in specific battle situations be better with the instrumentality, but in most situations the autonoma do a better job. Also the autonoma can build figthers in reasonable numbers.

Agreed on all points above. Unless there is a resource shortage limiting shipbuilding to the Instrumentality, the Automa is a much better option.

JonnyDoH

Post#14 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:15 pm

Yes, the Automata is technically a better ship, but economics wise it's more expensive. The Automata hull costs double an Instru, plus requires two additional engines. For the cost (and maybe a little more) of an Automata, you could build two instrumentalities, an instrumentality and a Cat's paw, an instrumentality and a Qtanker, an Instrumentality and more mines or (more importantly) an instrumentality and a fuel carrier. That latter one is important-- your ships guzzle fuel like nobody's business.

...and if money and minerals weren't an issue, I'd go for a Golem. =P

Cardno

Post#15 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:35 pm

Instrumentalities are two shot wonders if used in isolation. After a couple of battles, they need to be restocked with fighters and they can't do that themselves. So, if you are going to use them, except in the early game, you need them in combo with some automas / golems.

I would build an automa any day of the week. With those babys - they are better fighters, can carry supplies and withstand a minehit, and they can double as bad boys and fighter builders. Just put slower engines on them and two them.

Return to “Intel”