Help with computer players

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Skarpy

Help with computer players

Post#1 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:08 pm

Hi This is a re-post but I may have left the original on an unused forum. I'm looking for a good computer player to play solo against in order to test strategies. I tried theQ but I could only get the shareware version with 4 races. The contact site listed here hasn't been used for a long time. It also seemed a little slow to develop economies. Any ideas on a good computer player? Or at least an idea of where I can get a registered version of theQ?

Gilgamesh

Post#2 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:10 pm

Spacelord is better than Q - at least it doesn't cheat. None of them really do a good job of simulating a live opponent though.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Skarpy

Thanks

Post#3 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I downloaded Spacelord but the instructions simply say I need to invoke it using for example... spacelrd game1 /123456789b ... I take it that means to write a batch file calling the spacelrd.exe with those parameters. I haven't written a batch file for years add could use a hand with that. I have windows XP and the help file doesn't help at all.

Silvestr Potash

Re: Thanks

Post#4 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:42 pm

Skarpy wrote: spacelrd game1 /123456789b ...
This mean the spacelord will play for the all races except rebels.
Also .rst files may be in the game1 directory. then there will appears .trn files.... This work on XP also.
I have problems to get the registered tachyon addon, however
there is no problem to register The Q.

Skarpy

Re; Thanks

Post#5 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Never mind, I figured it out

Skarpy

Post#6 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:24 pm

I've played several rounds and on about turn 5 Spacelord begins to skip turns. For instance it just skipped turns for races 7, 8, 9, 11. On a previous game it quit making player 4 and higher turns. Any ideas?

Gilgamesh

Post#7 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:35 pm

I can't recall seeing that happen any time I've used Spacelord.
QI'DaS tuQ SoSlI'

Silvestr Potash

Post#8 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:31 am

Try to erase spaselord's dayabase files for this rases, then run it again.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#9 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:12 am

Skarpy wrote:I've played several rounds and on about turn 5 Spacelord begins to skip turns. For instance it just skipped turns for races 7, 8, 9, 11. On a previous game it quit making player 4 and higher turns. Any ideas?
You're doing something wrong if it's skipping turns. Space Lord needs the actual RST file to play just like a human. That would be the only reason it would skip a turn.
Regards,
][avok

High Command

Post#10 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:17 am

Besides the RST, it also needs other game files like beamspec.dat, torpspec.dat etc., else it skips.
But as it seemed to work before, I agree with Havok, that a missing RST is the most probably reason.
Did you try to use the " pause " command to stop the batch after the "spacelrd.exe " command? So you could have a look at it if there are any error messages shown?

Skarpy

Post#11 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:00 am

I think I got it figured out. Host replaces TRN files with RSTs when I run it in my Plan1 directory. I started holding copies of RSTs each turn in a separate file as back ups and haven't had a problem since. I think I was grabbing the RST files before they were all completely written and the act of copying them to a file before moving them to my VPWORK file takes long enough that it ensured the RSTs were complete. That also explaines that if I had a messed up one, all the races after that in the host sequence were also messed up.

Donovan

Post#12 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:13 pm

Skarpy wrote:I think I got it figured out. Host replaces TRN files with RSTs when I run it in my Plan1 directory.
Hosting in the same directory you're playing your game in is asking for troubles, if you ask me. I always host in a separate directory.

I run host from a batch file, which makes it easy to automate copying all TRN files to the host directory before hosting, and copying all the RST files to the playing directory afterwards.

My batchfile, located in the c:\host\ directory, typically looks like this:

Code: Select all

copy c:\winplan\vpwork7\player*.trn c:\host\privtest\
c:\host\host.exe c:\host\privtest >hostlog.txt
copy c:\host\privtest\player*.rst c:\winplan\vpwork7\
This basically does what I described above. The first line copies all the turn files from the player directory to the hosting directory. Second line runs host with a textfile as a log, the third line copies all the RST files to the player directory.

With the computer player, insert the line for Spacelord somewhere at the very beginning, and mind the use of absolute paths (for example use "c:\winplan\spacelrd.exe c:\winplan\vpwork1 /1234etc" instead of just "spacelrd vpwork1 /123etc".

I usually host games to test stuff without using computer players, so I'm not sure on the exact paramaters or absolute path procedure for spacelord.

You mentioned a plan1 directory, which I guess means you're using dos planets.exe (or VPA or PCC). Then you can maybe add those lines to your maketurn batchfile, so that all of this happens automatically after you make your turn.

Havok
Site Admin

Post#13 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:13 am

I agree. Never host and play in the same folder. Definitely asking for trouble.
Regards,
][avok

Skarpy

Post#14 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:09 pm

I should have said winplan 3.50 ut I think I get the spirit of what you wrote.

Skarpy

Post#15 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:12 pm

This works well:

spacelrd vpwork1 /12346789ab
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player1.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player2.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player3.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player4.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player5.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player6.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player7.trn c:\plan1\
copy c:\plan1\vpwork1\player8.trn c:\plan1\