How catch a minesweeper resolute?

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Silvestr Potash

How catch a minesweeper resolute?

Post#1 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:20 am

objective: phost game,
pconfig: cloack fail rate =0; bird immune to loki decloack,
no addons, resolute with h.phasers make this maneur: 1 turn- minesweep, next turn- cloack and move 1-3 L.Y..then repeat.
It is a flagship.Its a only one birdman ship around.I have a huge fleet here.(but only two d19)
Crystalls gone out.

How to catch it?

Hawkeye

Post#2 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:54 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but....

You could try setting a ship to mission = intercept the Resolute on the turn it has appeared with warp=0, then on the next turn that you're expecting the resolute to appear, set it to warp=9

Or in other words:

Turn 1 - Resolute appears, set your ship to intercept with warp=0
Turn 2 - Resolute disappears, set your ship to warp = 9, dont change anything else
Turn 3 - Resolute reappears, your ship intercepts.

let me know if that works :D

Silvestr Potash

Post#3 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:45 am

The problem is the phost 3.2.3.5c and later will reset the intercept mission if the ship become illegal target for intercept, like cloack or hidding at the planet..
In other word: at the turn 2 his intercept mission will clear

So at the 3rd turn my ship will stay, will catch air.
This will not work.
I had prooved it at the phost 3.2.3.5c (again).

Problem exist still.

DarthHavoc2

Post#4 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:19 am

Never played PHost but the way I've dealt with cloaking minesweepers in the past is to bait them into flying through a minefield they weren't expecting. One way to do this is to scoop the mines the Resolute is trying to sweep. Next turn the bird player will probably fly at top speed to the edge of the next minefield. Lay the original minefield back down (make it bigger if you can) and hope for a mine hit. It's not a guaranteed plan but the farther you can make that cloaker travel, the better your chances.

Of course this assumes you have a multi-layered minefield protecting your planets and that the Resolute is still at the outer edge. As always, no one strategy works for every game.
"Space is a tough place where wimps eat flaming plasma death!"
- Armin Trott

Donovan

Re: How catch a minesweeper resolute?

Post#5 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm

Silvestr Potash wrote:objective: phost game,
pconfig: cloack fail rate =0; bird immune to loki decloack,
no addons, resolute with h.phasers make this maneur: 1 turn- minesweep, next turn- cloack and move 1-3 L.Y..then repeat.
It is a flagship.Its a only one birdman ship around.I have a huge fleet here.(but only two d19)
Crystalls gone out.

How to catch it?
If your fleet is huge enough and he indeed only moves one to three lightyears, you could send your ships to every coordinate in a 3x3 square around him. If he decloaks the next turn to sweep, you should have a ship there. You could probably do with a couple less coordinates to cover, assuming he won't stay in the same place and won't move backwards.

And if you don't catch him that way, at least it will look cool.

Silvestr Potash

Post#6 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:14 am

Donovan wrote: And if you don't catch him that way, at least it will look cool.
3 Ly square ~ 50 ships . I afraid if the bird will see that huge fleet he changes tactic into permanent cloack. And i will burn fuel more than the resolute can minesweep for all its life.

Sorry , i forgot : there is a safe-travel warp=2. So i must spend more ships to catch this way...

Donovan

Post#7 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:23 pm

Silvestr Potash wrote: 3 Ly square ~ 50 ships . I afraid if the bird will see that huge fleet he changes tactic into permanent cloack. And i will burn fuel more than the resolute can minesweep for all its life.

Sorry , i forgot : there is a safe-travel warp=2. So i must spend more ships to catch this way...
Hmm a 4x4 (warp 2) square in front of his last known position requires 16 ships. If you skip the row only one lightyear in front of him, or move the square a bit in his most likely direction, you might improve your chances or need less ships.

But it is indeed a one-shot effort, because once he sees your fleet (if you 'miss') he will just stay cloaked another turn, or two, traveling safely at warp 2.

And if he's reading all of this you're screwed anyway :P

Hawkeye

Post#8 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:42 pm

Donovan wrote: Hmm a 4x4 (warp 2) square in front of his last known position requires 16 ships.
Actually, for up to warp 2 you'd need 25 ships for a 5x5 grid... 8)

Silvestr Potash

Post#9 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 3:33 am

Hawkeye wrote: Actually, for up to warp 2 you'd need 25 ships for a 5x5 grid... 8)
In one direction....i.e. i must *4.

I ask Stefan Reuter and he said -yes, the resolute is uncatchable....
Thanks for patience.

casebolt

Post#10 » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:10 am

Befriend a Pirate or Crystal :D If you have many ships that can take it out then cover as many Pixels as you can in a timed way. :D

I was acused of cheating covering pixels with a combo of 9-12 MBRs, B-4s,B-5s. Just like good old "Battleship"!!!!
Very effective against ship/fleet movements :D

Handy with WWW= WARP-WELL-WARS :globe:

Good luck let us know what happens, oh my what is Lindsy doing now!!!

Silvestr Potash

Post#11 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:39 am

casebolt wrote: Good luck let us know what happens, oh my what is Lindsy doing now!!!
Once this player did miss a turn and resolute did remain uncloacked. It has been intercepted and has been destroyed.

casebolt

Post#12 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:59 pm

:D

Return to “Intel”