Page 1 of 2

Echoview Questions

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 am
by Melvin Smiley
Hello,

I have some little questions about Echoview-Utillity. I used the search-engine but didn't find any helpful topics.

Is there a possibility to delete the circles/lines or text which you can insert with the "graphic mode"? I'd be helpful to draw some distances, etc. but I don't want to have them in my Echoview-Files for the whole game.


Which battle-simulator is more accured? The Sim-Program in Echoview or the one in the Tanascius-Tool?

I'm playing Colonies in one Game and I get different results for a X-Ray/30Fighter-Patriot against a X-Ray/MK4-MBR fight.

Thanks for the answers.

So long, Melvin Smiley

Re: Echoview Questions

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:44 pm
by Hawkeye
Melvin Smiley wrote:Hello,

I have some little questions about Echoview-Utillity. I used the search-engine but didn't find any helpful topics.

Is there a possibility to delete the circles/lines or text which you can insert with the "graphic mode"? I'd be helpful to draw some distances, etc. but I don't want to have them in my Echoview-Files for the whole game.


Which battle-simulator is more accured? The Sim-Program in Echoview or the one in the Tanascius-Tool?

I'm playing Colonies in one Game and I get different results for a X-Ray/30Fighter-Patriot against a X-Ray/MK4-MBR fight.

Thanks for the answers.

So long, Melvin Smiley
Put Echoview into the graphic mode, go close to the end of a line / centre of a circle and right click a couple of times until the line/circle dialog box comes up. You can then delete the graphic.

Battles have a random element to them based upon a random SEED, so if you simulate a single battle in one, it might say the left side wins, while simulating the same battle in the other might say the right side wins. Also bear in mind the random nature of torpedos hitting/missing as well. I've never used Tanascius, but the Echoview simulator seems to give accurate results. To get an "average" outcome from all the SEEDS, you need to press the SIM ALL button in Echoview. This could say that the MCBR will win perhaps 29% of the time. Therefore you can't necessarily put a "one size fits all" scenario onto each battle. Also bear in mind that the side the ship is fighting from (left or right) can also make a differrence to the battle outcome.

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:32 pm
by Tei
Is there an alternative for Echoview for prediction? It doesn't seem to predict the ion storm movement in Phost games and is crashing some racenames/util.dat combinaton (with phost).

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:39 pm
by Havok
Tei wrote:Is there an alternative for Echoview for prediction? It doesn't seem to predict the ion storm movement in Phost games and is crashing some racenames/util.dat combinaton (with phost).
PCC does an ion storm forecast.



Image

Re: Echoview Questions

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:26 am
by BitMask
Melvin Smiley wrote:Hello,

I have some little questions about Echoview-Utillity. I used the search-engine but didn't find any helpful topics.

Is there a possibility to delete the circles/lines or text which you can insert with the "graphic mode"? I'd be helpful to draw some distances, etc. but I don't want to have them in my Echoview-Files for the whole game.


Which battle-simulator is more accured? The Sim-Program in Echoview or the one in the Tanascius-Tool?

I'm playing Colonies in one Game and I get different results for a X-Ray/30Fighter-Patriot against a X-Ray/MK4-MBR fight.

Thanks for the answers.

So long, Melvin Smiley
Tanacius will be the more accurate sim for THost as is uses the exact same code. For PHost it is not that clear.

You might want to read my Echoview guide that is located on this site http://www.circus-maximus.com/howtoechoview.htm

Re: Echoview Questions

Posted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 pm
by streu
BitMask wrote:Tanacius will be the more accurate sim for THost as is uses the exact same code. For PHost it is not that clear.
EchoView uses the PACT DLL for Tim-Host combat, which is, as far as I know, identical to the Tim-Host combat code. It has its roots in the "Master at Arms" effort.

For PHost, EchoView uses the original PHost combat code (at least, Stefan Glasauer has added build scripts for the pcombat DLL to the PHost source tree).


--Stefan (oh, and while you're enumerating accurate simulators, I've got a few on offer, too...)

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:36 pm
by Tei
Havok,

I'm using PCC v 1.99.11 beta. I'm pretty new with it and really like the combat simulator. How did you get to the screen shot you displayed? When I display the star chart there is no menu at the bottom like you showed.

Tks,

Tei

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:42 am
by Tei
I think I figured it out. The screen shot is from the DOS PCC. I'm using the Windows version which is a little bit different.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:54 am
by streu
Tei wrote:I'm using PCC v 1.99.11 beta. I'm pretty new with it and really like the combat simulator. How did you get to the screen shot you displayed? When I display the star chart there is no menu at the bottom like you showed.
PCC2 (the one you use) doesn't yet have ion storm forecast, because I tried to get the essential features first :-) In any case, it's more a fancy gimmick than a useful feature.


--Stefan

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:44 pm
by Havok
Tei wrote:I think I figured it out. The screen shot is from the DOS PCC. I'm using the Windows version which is a little bit different.
I just linked the image from the PCC page.

Posted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:47 pm
by Captain Blood
I only know about eccoviev of the above mentioned combat simulators. I considder it fairly accurate in single ship combat. However it can not handle multiship combat where more than one ship fight. Problem with eccoviev is that it add average damage, and that is not always that usefull in larger battles.

To simulate battles with a more than one ship I would use b-sim. Could be easier to use, but once you get the idea it gives some very nice simulations. Also it let you experiment with the fighting orders of the ships.

In b-sim you can actually figure out why you win and loose a battle, you can view the ships fight in poor grafic. Usually it have to do with getting the increased mass on torpedo ships from the right. Also battles with large carriers have a large spread on the result, looks like it have to do with if it fire at incomming fighters or returning fighters visually speaking.

----------------------------

Eccoview also have the build in ion storm prediction. Just use shift F3 or F4 to predict ahead or go back. Ion storms will move then.

Posted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:22 am
by Tei
I like Echoview a lot. I especially like the minefield simulations and next turn waypoint simulation. I also use the next turn simulation to see if I am bringing enough minerals for the build that I want to make. That can be simulated too.

My complaint with Echoview is that ion storms are not being simulated with my Phost games and util.dat is crashing Echoview in my phost games at The Starbase.

Posted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:27 pm
by Melvin Smiley
@Hawkeye: I did it. Thanks for the advise. Now these little circles I drew in turn 8 or 9 are gone.

One more questions. The Game I'm playing is using Starbase+ and I know that Echoview can simulate that too. But after starting Echoview new the Starbase-Add on hook is gone again and I have to go back and change it in the Utility-menue of Echoview.
Is there a way to save it permanently for my game?

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 am
by BitMask
In Configuration, make sure the option "Auto save data on exit" is turned on.
http://www.circus-maximus.com/howtoecho ... c138768504

Re: Echoview Questions

Posted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:29 pm
by Aleortu
Thank you very much!!
I was going crazy trying to delete the circles / lines I have draw in my Echoview. Can you imagine having draws made in turn 39 when you are now in turn 60? I also forgot the reason why I made the circles the first time.