Linux and VGAP

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

Linux and VGAP

Post#1 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 am

Ok,
firstly apologies for asking again, but i just realized its been almost 2 years since my last game and i have forgotten the answer.

What is the best VGAP client for simpletons who use Linux, in my case Ubuntu.

OR, do i need to run it under playonlinux, which is what i did last time from memory but could never watch any vcr's so couldn't see what the enemy had in armaments.

Cheers
Six

I do have another solution, this machine does dual boot, the other OS being Windows XP Dark Edition......... but i would like to lose windoze forever if possible. i just remembered this bit :oops:
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#2 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:05 am

JVC is probably your best bet. I've never used it in Linux...

Also have you considered WINE?
Regards,
][avok

streu

Re: Linux and VGAP

Post#3 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:55 am

Six_Of_One wrote:Ok,
firstly apologies for asking again, but i just realized its been almost 2 years since my last game and i have forgotten the answer.

What is the best VGAP client for simpletons who use Linux, in my case Ubuntu.
If you can use DOSEMU or DOSBOX, you have choice between tons of DOS software. In particular, VPA (the "VPAMM" version seems to work a little better than the "regular" version) and PCC. And of course Dosplan.

PCC2 is a native solution. It works well for playing, although it's still lacking a few bells, whistles and gongs. I'm not sure whether it works for simpletons, because you have to compile it yourself, and I have just this week found out that it doesn't compile out of the box on Ubuntu. (Otherwise, I could also use this as an incentive to learn making Debian packages.)

--Stefan

Six_Of_One

Post#4 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:16 am

PlayonLinux is based on Wine, and i will probably follow the same path as last time and use it.
I was praying for divine intervention, and hoped somehow in the last 2 years there was this new magic program :lol:

Thanx for the reality check :cry:

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#5 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:34 am

There were some host addons programmed by Albatros
And Streu upgraded PHost and PCCII

For the rest everything is the same.

streu

Post#6 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:50 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:PlayonLinux is based on Wine, and i will probably follow the same path as last time and use it.
I was praying for divine intervention, and hoped somehow in the last 2 years there was this new magic program :lol:
PCC2 on Linux for Dummies HOWTO

Dummies most likely use Ubuntu, so that's what I tried (in addition to Debian).
  • If you have a 64-bit system, install the 32-bit libraries. Actually, that should be the default unless you explicitly opted to leave them out, but I haven't tried.
  • Install the SDL, SDL_image and C++ libraries, by entering these commands in a shell terminal window:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian-all
    sudo apt-get install libsdl-image1.2
    sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
    My Ubuntu 10.4 didn't find libstdc++5, so I downloaded it by hand (http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid-backpo ... 5/download) and installed it manually "sudo dpkg -i libstdc++5_3.3.6-20~lucid1_i386.deb".
  • Download this package, and install it

sudo dpkg -i pcc2_1.99.12_i386.deb
    If this posting is old when you read it, remember to check for a newer version of PCC2.
That's it. You can now start PCC2 by entering "/opt/pcc2/bin/pcc-v2" on your command prompt. Create a shortcut on your desktop, do whatever you wish. This installs the complete suite of programs, that is, you'll also get the command-line maketurn (/opt/pcc2/bin/c2mkturn), unpack (/opt/pcc2/bin/c2unpack), etc. And, of course, the battle viewer and simulator (/opt/pcc2/bin/playvcr).

If you use a distribution other than Debian or Ubuntu, you probably have to convert or import the package somehow; I currently have no idea how to do this in a user-friendly way (I could dictate you a bandworm command to unpack it, though :-))

PHost on Linux for Dummies HOWTO
  • Make a new directory.
  • Download this and place it there. Again, if this posting is old when you read it, remember to check for a newer version of PHost.
  • Open a shell terminal window for that directory, and unpack the file:

tar xzf phost-4.1e-linux-x86.tgz
That's it. You can now run it by changing in to the directory where you unpacked it and typing "./phost". PHost doesn't need any libraries and runs on almost every Linux system built since 1997.

--Stefan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#7 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:24 pm

That is very good. Thanks for the nice guide Streu.

Six_Of_One

Post#8 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Thanks streu,

for both, the guides and reminding me of my capabilities :P :lol:

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Six_Of_One

Post#9 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:29 pm

btw
I'm running Maverick (Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat V10.10) so both of those packages (yes i found the libstdc++5 for Maverick) were easily installed automatically by the new "Ubuntu software centre" .

It's 5.30 am and i'm off to work so i will look at them tonight.

Again thankyou.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#10 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:53 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:btw
I'm running Maverick (Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat V10.10) so both of those packages (yes i found the libstdc++5 for Maverick) were easily installed automatically by the new "Ubuntu software centre" .

It's 5.30 am and i'm off to work so i will look at them tonight.
It's the first Debian package I made, I'm interested in how it works.

One step I left out (because it's the same under Windows): create a text file "cc-res.cfg" in directory /opt/pcc2/share/planets/resource, and tell it where you have your bitmap files, by writing lines like these:
  • "/path/to/cc.res" if you have a cc.res file
  • "wp:/path/to/bmp" if you have a Winplan BMP folder containing vplXX.bmp or vplXX.jpg files
  • "wpvcr:/path/to/wpvcr.dll" if you have a Winplan wpvcr.dll file
PCC2 currently contains only a very rudimentary set of pictures to keep the download size small. It's playable, but you'll have more fun if you can actually see your ships (needs a cc.res file or a BMP folder). Oh, and if someone wants to actually make some better pictures than those in PCC 1.x, ... :)

--Stefan

albatross

Post#11 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:58 pm

I'll try it tomorrow on Debian64. Very cool, streu :).

Six_Of_One

Post#12 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 am

UpDate:

So far things are cruising along, getting close to putting my name down for a game.
This is all with pcc2 as phost isn't being kind, or more to the point my newbieness with terminal is showing through brightly :cry:

Anyways, have a launcher and pcc2 fires up nicely, the only stumbling block, (after i finally located my bmp folder) is the ability to put the "cc-res.cfg" txt file in the required folder as it required root privileges.

Also :oops: i'm not real bright when i comes to txt and need a nudge in the right direction.
my path to the bmp's is six/VGAP/BMP is that what i need on the txt file??

So apart from the graphic side of things, Ubuntu 10.10 has installed the required packages and all is well.

i'm waiting on a reply in the forums to solve my root privilege problem ....... yes yes yes i know, for all those whose minds are in the gutter, or the missus... ok now...

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Six_Of_One

Post#13 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 am

Ok,

'gksudo nautilus' is the code i needed, so now the txt file is where it needs to be,
all i need now is confirmation on the path :wink:

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:49 am

I assume "six" is your user on that box?

Then you path would be
/home/six/VGAP/BMP

or if your user is something else then it would look like this:
/home/user/six/VGAP/BMP

If you are in a terminal session, type the following followed by enter:
sudo ls /home

This will list all the users (There should not be much else except for those you created. This is just to confirm which of the 2 options I gave you should use.

Remember that linux is case sensitive.

Six_Of_One

Post#15 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:11 am

/home/six/VGAP/BMP is the correct answer, and theres only one user :)

sweet i will change the path and then use my new found skills to replace the original txt

if this keeps up, my IQ might go up 1 whole percentage point this year :lol:

just realized, my new power means i can change the original... DOH!!

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Return to “Intel”