Linux and VGAP

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

Six_Of_One

Post#31 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:51 am

Rimstalker wrote:im not criticizing Stefan's awesome work, just letting him know that what seems totally self explanatory to him does not work for the average ubuntu user.

Are we both talking about this bit here?

http://phost.de/~stefan/pcc2.html#source
nope, this bit
streu wrote: Download this package, and install it

--Stefan
With Ubuntu 10.10 i get the option to open with Ubuntu software centre, and after doing so i have PCC2 installed.

libstdc++5 files were the same as far as ease of install was concerned.

Thats why i'm grateful and say theres not much of a learning curve as far as PCC2 and Linux install is concerned my end. Just a couple of minor tweaks like fizz.bin.

I took this
streu wrote: I really like it if people like you try my program, because you see deficiencies which I'm too blind to see because I'm just too used to it :)

--Stefan
to also include his Linux instructions
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#32 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:Thats why i'm grateful and say theres not much of a learning curve as far as PCC2 and Linux install is concerned my end. Just a couple of minor tweaks like fizz.bin.
And I'm really thankful that you keep trying and not give up mid-way.

I'd call me an experienced Linux developer, but not an experienced Linux user. There are things I've never seen. I've never seen "Ubuntu Software Center" because I install packages using "apt-get", so I couldn't have given you a tip for that. I've never had the fizz.bin problem because all my games are on a DOS partition (shared with Windows, so I can play from Windows, too). So, the Linux version is still less user friendly than the Windows version, although my primary development platform is Linux!

With input like this, this can change. Linux is much more diverse than Windows, where you can make, with overseeable effort, one big .exe file that runs everywhere.

I do not really expect users to understand and follow my "compile it yourself" instructions. Actually, PCC2 beta 12 doesn't compile out of the box on Ubuntu (I've got that bug report a few weeks ago) because its C++ compiler is more strict than the one I use, so you'd end up with a compiler error in files containing cryptic code.

But if you have an improvement for my "HOWTO" post, go ahead.

--Stefan

albatross

Post#33 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:16 pm

Rimstalker wrote:im not criticizing Stefan's awesome work..
For my part I also didn't see critics from Rim here, but constructive comments. Ubuntu may be based on Debian, but things do not always work out the same way on both dists. Compiling for example can sometimes be diffcult as you can't open a shell, do an 'su' and work as root all along - you have to do the 'sudo' thing prior to every root command which in the compiling process can end up in a secondary call that needs to be root but actually isn't. Heck.. I don't want to stir up a dicussion on that here...

Keep up the good work :)!

Six_Of_One

Post#34 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:31 pm

albatross,
i'm not having a go at rimstalker, far from it.
I simply restated my experience of following streu's instructions. I know whats its like to have to check myself when explaining things to people who are new at whatever. It is easy to assume a certain level of knowledge.

One of the reasons i point out exactly which Linux distro and version i am using. As far as i am concerned all input is gratefully received when it comes to this.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#35 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:34 am

albatross wrote:
Rimstalker wrote:im not criticizing Stefan's awesome work..
For my part I also didn't see critics from Rim here, but constructive comments. Ubuntu may be based on Debian, but things do not always work out the same way on both dists. Compiling for example can sometimes be diffcult as you can't open a shell, do an 'su' and work as root all along - you have to do the 'sudo' thing prior to every root command which in the compiling process can end up in a secondary call that needs to be root but actually isn't. Heck.. I don't want to stir up a dicussion on that here...
As far as compiling is concerned, root privileges are not a problem. I'm not working as root all the day. Every sane package (including PCC2 of course) compile just fine as user, just the final installation step needs root privilege. And that's a lesson I have already learned: newer distributions do everything with "sudo". But then, "sudo bash" is a good substitute for "su" :-)

--Stefan

albatross

Post#36 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:04 pm

Heh.. there's always a bigger linux fish. Writing 'sudo bash' into notebook.. :)

albatross

Post#37 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 am

Hi streu,

just tried to compile pcc2 on a Debian amd64 box (5.0.8 ) and ran into a problem. I downloaded all these source files, got all the libs, and started with compiling the pdk snapshot which seemed to work fine (output here). My file structure is:

~/pcc2/src
~/pcc2/src/pdk

Then I do ./configure via

Code: Select all

./configure LDFLAGS=-L./pdk CFLAGS=-I./pdk
and this problem (output here) comes up:

checking phostpdk.h usability... yes
checking phostpdk.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: phostpdk.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
checking for phostpdk.h... no
*** Unable to find <phostpdk>. Add an appropriate '-I' option to
*** CPPFLAGS and try again.
Also tried full path names for the flags, no difference. Any hint on what to do next?

streu

Post#38 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:09 pm

albatross wrote:Then I do ./configure via

./configure LDFLAGS=-L./pdk CFLAGS=-I./pdk
and this problem (output here) comes up:

checking phostpdk.h usability... yes
checking phostpdk.h presence... no
configure: WARNING: phostpdk.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf@gnu.org. ##
checking for phostpdk.h... no
*** Unable to find <phostpdk>. Add an appropriate '-I' option to
*** CPPFLAGS and try again.
Also tried full path names for the flags, no difference. Any hint on what to do next?
Do what you're told to :-) add an appropriate -I option to CPPFLAGS, i.e.

./configure LDFLAGS=-L./pdk CFLAGS=-I./pdk CPPFLAGS=-I./pdk
I was unaware of this problem until a few weeks ago (I don't know what autoconf needs CPPFLAGS for, I don't need it). Since then I've been compiling PCC2 on a variety of different machines (for example this one running PCC2 24/7) and stumbled across that oddity myself. The next version will have a switch "--with-pdk" which sets everything up.

--Stefan

albatross

Post#39 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:31 pm

#-o... I was reading CFLAGS all the time instead of CPPFLAGS. Thanks!

Return to “Intel”