Linux and VGAP

Here you can find, hints, strategies and other info for VGA Planets, PHost and it's many addon's and utilities.

Moderators: BitMask, Havok

streu

Post#16 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:10 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:Ok,

'gksudo nautilus' is the code i needed, so now the txt file is where it needs to be,
all i need now is confirmation on the path :wink:
Actually, I was assuming VGAP'ers to be fluent with path names, because that's what they have to use with planets.exe, Host, PHost, VPA, PCC all the time :-) With PCC2, too, but it comes with a directory browser.

Recipe: you have used the GUI of your choice to make a directory "VGAP" in your home directory, and create a file "test.txt" in it. So, its relative name is "VGAP/test.txt". Now, open a terminal window. Type "pwd". This will print something like "/home/six". Concatenate both, so you now have "/home/six/VGAP/test.txt". That's the complete file name you'd use.

In an ideal world, the PCC2 package would come with pictures and set up everything automatically, but so far I have no code to do that. Until three days ago, the only way for Linuxers was to compile PCC2 themselves, and users who compile it themselves (a) have write permissions to their files and (b) if they haven't given up inbetween, know how to create text files :)

--Stefan

Six_Of_One

Post#17 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:53 pm

The Admission:

During the Commodore 64 days i simply stress tested mates games, then there was this big void where building custom motor cycles sent computers to the back of the list.

I re-entered the world of pc's when Windows 95 came out, thus became very efficient at point and click :P Linux was too time consuming in its early days, and even installing Caldera a decade ago was nice, but i had no use for it.

Ubuntu is point and click heaven, just like windows, except for the odd occasion. This occasion happens so rarely i forget what i did the last time :oops: Fortunately for me, their forums are excellent and i get by.

And with VGAP, i am lucky to find people like you who can act as my white cane (see-ing eye dog seemed a bit harsh) and lead me to where i need to be. and for that i am eternally grateful.

i will change the path to /home/six/VGAP/BMP/cc-res.cfg when i return from work.

and again, thanks for the work you did making it so i didn't need to compile anything.
"Just because you can do a thing,
Doesn't mean you should."

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Havok
Site Admin

Post#18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:56 pm

While we're speaking of VGAP and Linux has anyone ever tried out the XK client or Gnome Warpad client for Linux?

Got them both here:
http://www.circus-maximus.com/dl-pc.htm

BTW I recovered the Gnome Warpad site a while back and installed it into the museum over at Donovans. There are some really nice screen shots in there.
Regards,
][avok

streu

Post#19 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:19 pm

[edit: deleted. Nothing to see here. Move along. See next post.]
Last edited by streu on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

streu

Post#20 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:20 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:i will change the path to /home/six/VGAP/BMP/cc-res.cfg when i return from work.
No no no!

The file must be "/opt/pcc2/share/planets/resource/cc-res.cfg", but the content must be "wp:/home/six/VGAP/BMPS" (assuming you have a folder VGAP in your home directory, which contains a folder BMPS with the pictures).

Recipe for the shell:

Code: Select all

sudo bash
echo wp:/home/six/VGAP/BMPS > /opt/pcc2/share/planets/resource/cc-res.cfg
exit
(three lines, line two is "echo ... cfg", but the forum wraps the line in the middle)
This creates a file with one line in it.

Let's see, maybe I can come up with a mechanism to let you configure these things directly inside PCC2, or in the package installer I really like it if people like you try my program, because you see deficiencies which I'm too blind to see because I'm just too used to it :)

--Stefan

[edit: this should have been an edit of my previous post, not a quote]
Last edited by streu on Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Six_Of_One

Post#21 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:47 am

streu wrote:I really like it if people like you try my program, because you see deficiencies which I'm too blind to see because I'm just too used to it :)

--Stefan
hhmmm, i think the deficiencies you see are all in the user at my end :roll: :lol:

now all i need to do is talk to Havok, and find out why my application to join the power game failed..... perhaps after 2 years Auto Troll has forgotten me. Once i join a game (maybe even halo2) i can test out pcc2 more thoroughly.

Again thank you for your time and patience.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#22 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:49 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:
streu wrote:I really like it if people like you try my program, because you see deficiencies which I'm too blind to see because I'm just too used to it :)
hhmmm, i think the deficiencies you see are all in the user at my end :roll: :lol:
Not really. 18 years after its inception it's time for VGAP to get user-friendly :-)

--Stefan

BitMask
Site Admin

Post#23 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:50 pm

streu wrote: Not really. 18 years after its inception it's time for VGAP to get user-friendly :-)
--Stefan
I have been dreaming about that for 15 odd years as well. 8)

Six_Of_One

Post#24 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:18 pm

Here goes the learning curve :o)

How do i tell Pcc2 that i have several registered copies of VGAP so please allow me to build above tech 7.

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#25 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:Here goes the learning curve :o)

How do i tell Pcc2 that i have several registered copies of VGAP so please allow me to build above tech 7.
Copy the file "fizz.bin" from one of your existing game directories into the new game directory.

--Stefan

Six_Of_One

Post#26 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:59 am

placed fizz.bin in game 1 dir where i extracted the rst to, and where i point pcc2 at to load, made no difference :(

have emailed Lucky to get the thread vbx files etc that windows needs as i unfortunately seem to have lost all but 1 of my plan1 folders and all vgap stuff i had accumulated over the years. The idea is to have a windows version as backup while i play with Linux options.

This is what happens when you are reinstalling Linux and forget to remove the 2nd hard drive with all ya saved data... and Linux chooses that one to format and install into :cry:

Was almost 2 week before the tears stopped flowing

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

streu

Post#27 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 pm

Six_Of_One wrote:placed fizz.bin in game 1 dir where i extracted the rst to, and where i point pcc2 at to load, made no difference :(
Just to make sure the obvious: the file is called "fizz.bin", not "FIZZ.BIN"?

PCC2 cannot yet handle upper-case letters in file names; it just asks Linux for a file "fizz.bin", and if the file is called "FIZZ.BIN" instead, Linux answers "No". At least if you store your game on an ext2/3/4/whatever partition instead of a FAT partition.

Can you send me the console output of PCC2? That is, if you start it by typing "/opt/pcc2/bin/pcc-v2" into your terminal and open your game, it writes some text to the terminal. If it cannot find the fizz.bin file, there will be a message. What does PCC2 say if you load your game, press Alt+C, and enter SYSTEM.REGSTR1 or SYSTEM.REGSTR2?

--Stefan

Rimstalker

Post#28 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:16 pm

@streu: I work with linux servers half of my work day (for the last half year or so), and I failed miserably trying to get pcc2 to compile on my ubuntu desktop.

for a non-programmer, your installation 'guide' is way too abstract.
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Six_Of_One

Post#29 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:41 am

OK, Update.. Captains log Stardate blah blah blah :)

FIZZ.BIN has been demoted to fizz.bin and now PCC2 is as happy as, as far as me being registered is concerned.

Rimstalker, what streu has done so far is awesome as far as PCC2 and Ubuntu is concerned.
Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick) uses the "Ubuntu software centre" and installs PCC2 perfectly.
His instruction on page 1 are easy enough for me to follow.

I now have PCC2 running, and face a learning curve, i have the same game on Windows XP dark Edition as back up, and am trying to solve a minor problem with a bad file name under wine.

I would prefer to run xp in virtual box, but at the moment fail to get/make a version of xp with service pack 3 in it so it can understand sata drives. Thats why i'm running Dark Edition, i think its a Malaysian crack,

Plan C is installing a 160 gig eide drive as well and use it for virtual box installations.

I really do appreciate streu's time and effort.

btw anyone who can point me to an ISO of winxp with service pack 3 installed............

Paarthurnax the Dragon
Elder Scrolls-Skyrim

Rimstalker

Post#30 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:21 am

im not criticizing Stefan's awesome work, just letting him know that what seems totally self explanatory to him does not work for the average ubuntu user.

Are we both talking about this bit here?

http://phost.de/~stefan/pcc2.html#source
Wirklich reich ist, wer mehr | Truly rich is, who holds
Träume in seiner Seele hat, | more dreams in his soul
als die Realität zerstören kann.| than reality can destroy.

Return to “Intel”